Blur sphere + Crossfade = render artifacts

Is there something that doesn't work right in the latest GZDoom? Post about it here.

Moderator: Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Blur sphere + Crossfade = render artifacts

Postby Player701 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:47 pm

This issue happens with a very specific setup which depends on user settings as well as the game state, so I'm attaching my INI here to help reproduce the bug. Note that there may be other cases where this issue can manifest itself, but it all seems to happen when the level is loading.

Testing procedure:
  1. Warp to any map.
  2. Type "IDBEHOLDI" to get the blur sphere powerup.
  3. Save the game.
  4. Load the save. If "Screen wipe style" is set to "Crossfade", a rendering artifact will appear on the screen while the crossfade is happening. For me, it appears in the bottom area of the screen and looks like a thin black column spanning about 1/3 of the screen height.
Screenshot:

Git bisect shows that the issue started happening in this commit.

System information: NVIDIA GTX 660, Windows 7 64-bit.
Attachments
gzdoom-Player701.ini.zip
(6.8 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Player701
You are now breathing manually.

Discord: Player701#8214

Re: Blur sphere + Crossfade = render artifacts

Postby Graf Zahl » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:04 pm

It also happens only with the 'Noise' fuzz style. Looks like a bug in that shader function.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom Developer

Return to Bugs