[BUG] DamageFactor "Normal"

Is there something that doesn't work right in the latest GZDoom? Post about it here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!
Dinosaur_Nerd
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

[BUG] DamageFactor "Normal"

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

DamageFactor "Normal" is applied to all damage types, even custom damage types when applied.

below are video examples of this bug:
Spoiler:
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: [BUG] DamageFactor "Normal"

Post by Rachael »

As far as I know that is not a bug, but is actually an older intended way to apply DamageFactor to all damage types.

To have your intended effect I believe you need to specify "None".
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Re: [BUG] DamageFactor "Normal"

Post by Zhs2 »

As I was the one who recommended he report this, I believed the proper way to apply a DamageFactor to all types globally was to simply not specify a type at all, i.e. DamageFactor 1.5. The use of DamageFactor "Normal", multiplying any damage lacking a specific type, would be reinforced by the following example on two pages, the MAPINFO damage type definition page (Examples section) and [wiki=Custom_damage_types#Damagetype_declarations]the Custom damage types (in a deprecated section, but nonetheless is consistent with the first)[/wiki]:

Code: Select all

// In DECORATE:
Actor TakesMoreDamage
{
    DamageFactor "Normal", 1.5 // Takes extra damage for attacks that have no specific damage factor.
    // We have changed Drowning so that it ignores DamageFactor "Normal" by ReplaceFactor.
}

Return to “Bugs [GZDoom]”