Crash / Lockups on gzdoom exit

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Crash / Lockups on gzdoom exit

Post by Caligari87 »

So I sometimes get intermittent crashes / errors / lockups after quitting GZDoom. I can't seem to trace it back to any particular mod or set of mods (though I mostly play with Hideous Destructor plus a bunch of addons). The crashes / lockups are seemingly random and I can't reliably trigger them.

OS: Linux Mint 19 (issue was also present on Linux Mint 18.x)
System (from crashlog): Linux sterling-desktop 4.15.0-33-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Wed Aug 15 16:00:05 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
CPU: Core i7-3770
RAM: 16GB

GZDoom from PPA / repo at http://debian.drdteam.org/

From crashlog:
GZDoom version g3.5.1 (a5296fec1de0fbba1d39708e93f5b6e672ecbeab)
Compiler version: 7.2.0

The output and nature of the crashes tends to vary somewhat, though they all happen after I quit the game normally. In this particular case, I got the following output:

Code: Select all

Picked up a Defence, Engagement, Reconnaissance and Patrol robot.
Caligari was shot up by the Tyrant's jack-booted thugs.     <<<<< here I quit the game normally
corrupted double-linked list (not small)    <<<<< here the terminal locked up for several moments before dumping the final output and giving me back my prompt
./hd-launcher.sh: line 98: 21339 Aborted                 (core dumped) gzdoom -config gzdoom-hideous.ini $launchoptions -file $modlist$build$enhancedmods
Other times, the terminal fills with some kind of crashlog but drops right back to the prompt. Still other times it locks up entirely and I have to open a separate terminal to kill -9 the gzdoom process.

Crashlog attached. I do not think this is specific to Hideous Destructor nor any of the other mods / mutators I was using, as I seem to recall it happening even when testing other mods. I'll attach more crashlogs with different errors when / if they occur. Here is a link to my custom launcher script noted in the output, if it matters at all.

8-)
Attachments
gzdoom-crash.zip
Crashlog
(5.11 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
Edward-san

Re: Crash / Lockups on gzdoom exit

Post by Edward-san »

Well, does it make sense to allocate memory on exit?
Spoiler:
Anyway, more info can only come up if you could build gzdoom in Debug mode and run with the debugger activated, if lucky enough.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Compiling GZDoom normally is a bit outside of my comfort zone, much less compiling a debug build and running the debugger during my game normal sessions in the hopes of triggering some vague crash :(

That said I did just get another one with different symptoms after a few normal sessions, this one with a different map but the same modset. This time it's stuck, frozen in the console after quit.

Code: Select all

map02 - underhalls

game saved. (/home/sterling/.config/gzdoom/auto0.zds)
Picked up a shotgun shell.
"cl_run" is "false"
"cl_run" is "true"
Caligari was shot up by the Tyrant's jack-booted thugs.    <<<<< Normal quit

*** Fatal Error ***
It's just sitting here on that last message. No CPU usage. Memory is stable, not increasing or decreasing. No crashlog. In these cases I have to open a new terminal and do "sudo killall -9 gzdoom" in order to end the process. Ctrl+C doesn't do anything.

EDIT: I should also note this has been going on for a few versions now, same behaviour. It's not limited to 3.5.x, though I could not tell you when I first noticed it. It's persisted through a complete system reinstall.

8-)
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

The behavior suggests memory corruption, somewhere. Could be a use-after-free, a double-free, or a buffer over or underrun. Running the game under valgrind may help, but its hard to say how much with a release build (also, valgrind can spit out a lot of false positive warnings/errors).
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Just updating this to say that I've not experienced this problem for quite some time. Assuming it got fixed somewhere along the way or was related to my system configuration.

8-)

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”