Broken rendering on ATI GL 3.3 cards

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Broken rendering on ATI GL 3.3 cards

Post by drfrag »

While testing soundless mound now i only get a centered blob with colored dots even with the software renderer on my GL 3.3 ATI card.
With just the iwad after starting a map the initial ingame scene is drawn but then the screen is not updated anymore.
I thought it was the "removed the no-clip-plane handling for OpenGL 3 ATI cards" commit but that one was in the uniformbuffers branch and was not merged.
The last working devbuild is gzdoom-g3.6pre-57-g2d1043d1d.7z. So i suspect the "use a uniform buffer for per-scene data like rotation matrices" commit.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Broken rendering on ATI GL 3.3 cards

Post by Graf Zahl »

It looks like on these cards a lot more is broken than just the clip planes. What's with non-ATI GL 3 hardware? Anyone with such a card here who can test?
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Now that i've looked into it a bit more it was not that commit, it's the wipe refactoring.
It's fine with the GL renderer and after starting a new game you can even change to software. The problem happens when you start a new game in software mode and the wipe is shown, happens even when wipetype is set to none.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

No problems with that on a Geforce 1060.
Edward-san

Post by Edward-san »

With my integrated Intel GL 3.3 I get these artifacts when I load the mod: screenshots. Are you talking about these?
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Exactly. It works if you bring down the console during the demo but it's broken again (permanently) when you start a new game.
But with just doom2.wad i get no rendering after the wipe. So software mode doesn't work anymore on those cards.
Edward-san

Post by Edward-san »

Not sure if it's related, but the address sanitizer fired an error during the texture manager init, while loading the wad in question:
Spoiler:
Edit: here's full backtrace:
Spoiler:
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

That's unrelated. But have you tried to run the iwads (Doom II for instance) in software mode there?
Edward-san

Post by Edward-san »

Can you make a screenshot with the effect? I don't see any problem with either the carmack renderer nor with the softpoly.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

That's strange. No, just start a new game in software mode and move around (but you need to start the game while in software, for instance vid_rendermode 1). The screen is not updated here.
If it works i guess there are two different problems then.
Edward-san

Post by Edward-san »

Actually, I managed to get this when I run gzdoom plus the '-warp' command line argument:

Is this what you are talking about?
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I've just tried with warp and i get the same effect, however the game is playable after calling the menu or the console.
But if you start a new game normally using the menu it's over, until you change to rendermode 4 blindly that is.
Now we need someone to test on a GL 3.3 nvidia card.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I've managed to reproduce the problem somehow on nvidia with -glversion 3. Same problem as Edward-San with warp, game is playable after calling the menu or console. Then starting a new game normally works fine.
This is a GT 710 on GL 4.6 (32 bit 391 driver tough).
With "-glversion 3" vid_rendermode 4 crashes and older versions give a black screen.
With soundless mound the colored blob is there, so same as intel i guess. Only on ati the game is not playable.
Also the custom shader using a custom texture on bleeding windows doesn't work now on the geforce, no errors tough.
landfill baby
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by landfill baby »

I'm not sure if this is related but for me everything works fine, except intermission screens don't render at all, the sounds are played but it stays on the last frame of the game until the next map loads.
The save/load screens work from within a map, but if I try to load from the main menu, it renders the first frame then completely stops updating until I manage to load a map, even if I quit the load menu. If I try to load an incompatible save (different PWADs) from within a map the same thing happens.
None of the rendering settings seem to change this, except wipetype, I had it on "none", but if I switch it on, the first frame of intermission screens are rendered, like with the main menu load screen.
I'm on 3.6.0, Windows 7 32-bit, OpenGL 3.3, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5165 (4650 but with higher clock speed).
Works fine on legacy build, I'll just use that.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I'll most likely discontinue support for GL3 ATI cards with the next release anyway. The lack of clip planes is just too much of an obstacle. Their drivers obviously have too many issues with their GL 3.x features - not just the clip planes. For these it is clearly better to operate with a less volatile code base like the legacy build.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”