crash while playing Lithium

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: crash while playing Lithium

Post by Rachael »

Graf Zahl wrote:Copied to my base archive for making distributions. Of course the current 32 bit downloads should also be updated.
Shouldn't this be tested first, by the person making this report, before making such changes? To be sure we actually solved the problem?
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

I don't think that existing version with SSE4 and AVX optimizations should be replaced. It's more like a workaround for some CPU detection problem.
In any case, it will be great if someone with access to various CPUs will test this DLL.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Well I downloaded _mental_'s archive with the SSE4.1/AVX disabled, but until I know for sure what we really want to do with them I'm going to leave the 32-bit archives as-is. I don't think it helps anyone if we make rushed and somewhat reactionary decisions based on something we have never even tested before, for such a narrow audience at best.

I have that really old laptop still, though, I'll see if it has room for Wine and I can test to see if it crashes with the default DLL's, and if the replacement would work.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The real bug here is obvious: Apparently the CPU feature check was not done correctly. Apparently older AMD CPUs need more checks.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Agreed. I don't have access to an older AMD CPU, though. What would make me happier is if we provided a separate download for such CPU's - if we want to continue supporting them at all - than to completely replace something that works perfectly fine on older Intels or even newer AMD's.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

But the question is: do those instructions really make a difference in 32 bit builds?
I know this is from 2014 but...
FLAC doesn't really require -msse2 option. And its en/decoding speed isn't much slower without this option (at least when FLAC was compiled with GCC 4.9+).

Several days ago I tested FLAC encoding speed on Intel Nehalem for -8 preset. Encoding time for an album grabbed from a CD:

64-bit FLAC: 30.2 sec
32-bit FLAC: 33.8 sec
32-bit FLAC and -msse2 is removed: 35.8 sec

So without -msse2 option 32-bit FLAC becomes ~6% slower.
I've still got an athlon 64 3500+ so if you can provide a small test i could check.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Sounds are pretty much loaded only once unless they're not used for a very long time, right? The 6% cost is not much, unless of course you count the inevitable stuttering that happens whenever you load a sound - which, unfortunately, happens through the course of normal play.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

It's only 32 bit, so it's gonna be irrelevant maybe next year. Let's wait and see until next survey time to see how the numbers will have changed. I predict that by the end of 2019 we may be able to discontinue 32 bit support for good.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

That was then with SSE2 and the FLAC changelog only claimed "Faster encoding using SSE and AVX (lvqcl)." back then, no mention of decoding speed nor SSE4.
https://xiph.org/flac/changelog.html
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I created new, separate archives and labeled them "amdfix" and then updated the default download links to these new archives. Let's see what happens. The original archives are still available, but for now can only be accessed using GZDoom's version archive.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”