Dynamic Lights options not working properly

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Tesculpture

Dynamic Lights options not working properly

Post by Tesculpture »

I mentioned this before in someone else's thread, but in the 64bit versions of GZDoom 3.4.0 onwards (I have also tried 3.4.1 and the latest 3.5 dev build), the Dynamic Light options do not seem to work properly.

(My GPU is an AMD Radeon R5 200 series)

When "Render Mode" is set to "Softpoly Renderer" or "True Color Softpoly", the "Dynamic Lights (OpenGL)" option has no effect - dynamic lights remain on regardless.

When "Render Mode" is set to "OpenGL Accelerated", setting "Dynamic Lights (OpenGL)" to "Off" dims dynamic lights to about half their normal brightness, but still does not turn them off.

This can be seen in the first level of Doom II, with the first Armour Bonus you encounter, or more obviously by using the "summon soulsphere" console command in the dark area to the left of your start point.

I have noticed switching "Dynamic Lights (OpenGL)" to "Off" does seem to turn off dynamic lights while the menu is still open, but as soon as you close the menu and the game unpauses, they reappear.

I normally leave dynamic lights switched off as they tend to severely impact my framerate, so this problem means I can't use the versions newer than 3.3.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Dynamic Lights options not working properly

Post by Graf Zahl »

Obviously "Dynamic lights (OpenGL)" will have no effect in software rendering modes. For that a separate option exists.
Tesculpture

Post by Tesculpture »

Sorry, I did not realize I was using the wrong option for the Softpoly rendering modes. But if you mean the "Dynamic Lights (Software)" option, that has no effect on dynamic lights in the Softpoly rendering modes either. Is there a "Dynamic Lights (Softpoly)" option I have missed?
Tesculpture

Post by Tesculpture »

For what it's worth, I have tested some more, and the problem seems to be that, in OpenGL rendering, everything has two duplicate Dynamic Lights now. What I thought was the light dimming when I set "Dynamic Lights (OpenGL)" to "Off" was actually the original light turning off, while the duplicate remained on. The duplicate lights only illuminate floors/ceilings (not walls), they can't be controlled by the "Enable Light Definitions" and "Lights Affect Sprites" options (they always appear where a light is defined, and never affect sprites), but they are controlled by the "Lights Affect Shadowmaps" option.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Fixed the softpoly part. r_dynlights will now be respected there.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Is there still something open here?
Tesculpture

Post by Tesculpture »

I am still having this problem even with the latest devbuild (x64-g3.5pre-117-g7817e6a7b), yes.

Since I did not do so before, I have taken some screenshots demonstrate what I'm talking about.
Spoiler:
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I think I already fixed that double light in the "modern" branch. The last one is normal. The lights need one game tic to reappear.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I cannot reproduce the problem but here there's another one (AMD GL 3.3 card): dynamic lights won't turn on until i fire the plasma rifle at the guys in the starting area for a few seconds (MAP01).

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”