This may not be a bug but just in case

Is there something that doesn't work right in the latest GZDoom? Post about it here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!
MartinHowe

This may not be a bug but just in case

Post by MartinHowe »

I have found that if A_LookEx is used with LOF_NOSIGHTCHECK, then Thing_Hate, even with parameter 2 or 4, will not wake the actor up.
Before I make a small example WAD and report this formally as a bug, is this simply a "don't do that", "not supported", or whatever?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: This may not be a bug but just in case

Post by Graf Zahl »

MartinHowe wrote: Before I make a small example WAD and report this formally as a bug, is this simply a "don't do that", "not supported", or whatever?
Here's the conundrum. You do not want to make a small demo WAD before getting feedback and I cannot give you feedback without actually checking the issue.
So, obviously the demo WAD needs to come first.
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

Not at all; now you have not said it's one of the known issues or wontfixes (i.e., "don't do that"), I know it will need more input from me. I will make a demo of this and reply further when done.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

So...?
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

DECORATE:

Code: Select all

actor zombiesoldier : Zombieman 12345
{
    States
    {
    Spawn:
        POSS AB 10 A_LookEx (LOF_NOSIGHTCHECK)
        Loop
    }
}
ACS:

#include "zcommon.acs"

#define playerTID 1
#define zombieTID 2
script "wake up zombie" open
{
    Print (s:"Waking up zombie in 2 s...");
    Delay (70);
    Print (s:"Waking zombie NOW - Hate Type 4");7
    Thing_Hate (zombieTID, playerTID, 4);
}
The zombie should attack the player without seeing them first. However, he does not.

I am wondering if this really is a "don't do that", as the phrase in the "Wiki" is ambiguous:

Hunt actors with given TID and also players
4 — Same as 3, but will go after monsters without seeing them first
Since it mentions "and also players" I naturally assumed the hater would attack players as if they were monsters; but maybe it is meant literally; i.e., it will attack monsters without seeing them first but not players. If this is the case and Thing_Hate pre-dated A_LookEx, then this is probably understandable as Thing_Hate would blindly assume that there is only one A_Look, which would always find a player standing right in front of a monster and so no need to explicitly include players; however, it is not what I would intuitively expect. It's also worth noting that the zombiesoldier ignores noise made by the player as well; again this may be due to the player having to be in the line of sight (but sight is being ignored).

I appreciate this should not be changed as several mods may depend on it, so maybe we need an extra flag or two in hate type?
Attachments
zombie.zip
(4.79 KiB) Downloaded 80 times

Return to “Bugs [GZDoom]”