3.4.1 3D floor cancelling tsfer heights.

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Enjay

3.4.1 3D floor cancelling tsfer heights.

Post by Enjay »

I know that these two features have never been happy bedfellows but I was playing an old WAD I was asked to test for someone years ago and I noticed that it looked different (and broken) compared to what it used to. It was using transfer heights to hide some platforms but it also had a 3D floor running over the top as a bridge. Wherever the 3D floor was, the transfer heights effect wasn't working. It's easy to make up a simple demo that shows the difference between the current GZDoom (3.4.1) and an older git build that I had kicking around on my HD (3pre-39-g2f45218).

Demo map attached but here are some screenies of the map:
in the git build:
The lamp on the left is sitting on a platform hidden using transfer heights so that it looks like it is floating.
The lamp on the right is set up identically except that there is also a 3D floor above the platform.

In 3.4.1:

As I said, I know that these two features have never been a happy mix and this could easily be dismissed as a "don't do that" but the map, as far as I know, has worked for a very long time across many GZDoom versions (the map in question must be just about as old as 3D floors) so other people may also have used a similar setup in maps that are "in the wild".
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: 3.4.1 3D floor cancelling tsfer heights.

Post by Graf Zahl »

I have always said that these two features are incompatible and that combining them is completely undefined. Why do I always have to reinstate some crap because some people Just Cannot Listen... ? :?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Indeed. That's why I thought it might just get dismissed - and understandably too. If it's a quick and easy fix, without further implications, it makes sense to fix/reinstate it. If not, I think you could easily leave it "as is" in 3.4.1. You're on record saying not to combine these effects on many occasions - pretty much from the earliest implementation of 3D floors I think.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I just checked through this code again. At one point I changed it so that 3D floors disable Transfer_Heights - and I am not planning to bring that back. These two features are totally at odds with each other and can produce uncontrollable glitches.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”