[g3.4pre-197-g0affc119f] Darker Textured Automap Issue?

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Lord Misfit
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[g3.4pre-197-g0affc119f] Darker Textured Automap Issue?

Post by Lord Misfit »

So in g3.4pre-197-g0affc119f, the textures of the textured automap mode seem to be rendered a lot darker versus previous versions, 3.3.2 included.

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/W2tg0yG[/imgur]
- 3.3.2 and previous light levels.

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/9XOtm3X[/imgur]
- the gamma level seems a lot darker here, to the point it's hard to make out many of the textures in detail due to the change.

Level is MAP02 of Unloved for the record.

I know people have been reporting other issues with things like dynamic lights and such with the recent devbuild, but I'm not sure if this is at all related to those issues, or a seperate thing of its own. x.x
Last edited by Blue Shadow on Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Used [imgur] tag on screenshot(s).
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: [g3.4pre-197-g0affc119f] Darker Textured Automap Issue?

Post by Graf Zahl »

Yes, the formula was changed to allow using the same code for both software and hardware renderer. For the more natural darker light modes this actually results in a brighter display which was actually the intent here. I haven't checked the brighter ones like 'standard'. In those it may end up a bit darker.

I haven't fully reverted it but added some brightening for that case.

Nevertheless, I think the main problem in this screenshot is having an extremely dark map on a much brighter background. That reduces visibility quite a lot.
Lord Misfit

Post by Lord Misfit »

Unfortunately this really doesn't do anything for the darker sectors. I do notice the brightest sectors get a bit more gamma in those modes, but the darkest looking sectors on the map just don't get any brighter, though I use "darkest" in a relative sense.

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/6san5Yp[/imgur]

An interesting note is when I used PSP's color picker/dropper to see the color codes on the automap screenshots, the darkest sectors were basically all giving RGB 0,0,0 which is pitch black. Even turning up the gamma on the screenshot above by 4x in PSP gave me this:

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/Jra6x1v[/imgur]

So note on the second image the pitch black sectors on the automaps that don't seem to be any different from the non-gammaed-up screenshot. I have no understanding how the old or the new light calculation for the texture automap works, but it's clear for me that it's impossible to see anything in those sectors on the map in pitch black, and based on the non-map screens, the sectors in game are nowhere in the ballpark of being pitch black.

Doing some further research with a test map, it seems that any sector with a brightness of less than 70 will appear pitch black on the textured automap. The sectors in the PSXDoom MAP02 screenshot that are pitch black have a brightness of 70 or less in GZDB. [most are 64, with two exceptions being 48].

I hope this was a decent enough post to further address the issue, and for the record I was testing the different light modes and I am in Hardware mode, to clear that up.
Attachments
THINKTEST.wad
I added a strip of sectors near the starting point with varying brightness levels for the same of a quick test if you need it. >.>
(31.09 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Last edited by Blue Shadow on Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Used [imgur] tag on screenshot(s).
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

This math is quite confusing indeed. After simplification fadelevel without clamping is calculated like this

Code: Select all

fadelevel = (196 - lightlevel) / 128
With clamping applied light levels below 69 will be pitch black (fadelevel is 1) and above 195 won't be faded at all.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Light levels below 69 ARE actually close to pitch black with the darker light modes. I think for the brighter, more linear ones a completely different formula is needed to let them display properly.
Lord Misfit

Post by Lord Misfit »

Also posting to ask if anything has been looked into on this issue as well [since this is still an "active" bug, not closed or "on-hold"], since it's still present in 3.4pre487 at the moment. I am aware there is a new formula to be made for other light modes, but I was wondering if any work had been done on those yet, though. :o
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Same as here - if you do this again, I am going to start instructing moderators to trash posts of this nature to thread 45708.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”