UDMF map render issue

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.

UDMF map render issue

Post by Guest »

I seem to have reached some kind of draw limit in my current GZDoom UDMF map, was wondering if this is strictly memory related, or possibly a hard limit in the format.

The map loads fine, but runs with serious lag, for obvious reasons. No errors present when running the checklist in GZDoom Builder. I'm fully aware I've constructed a monstrosity prone to give problems and terrible performance. It's basically a huge, open map with way too much in view. I've limited the eye candy to 3d-floors / see through 3d-floors, some use / abuse of high res textures and morphing effects on large liquid areas, as well as ambient sounds. No slopes, no dynamic lights in effect, nor any scripting. The use of 3d-floors is extensive however.

Running the game opengl-accelerated / Direct3d. The "draw issues" occurred more prominent in older GZdoom versions, went away with the latest updates, and seems to have returned after some added complexity to the map. It's more prominent in the 32 bit version, seems to occur less frequent and at random times from the most exhausting viewpoints with the 64-bit version. Basically the visual effect is a bunch of stretched textures and sprites flickering in and out, caused by seemingly too much to draw in view.

Would be interesting to hear if it's a lost cause to go as overboard as I have with this one, or if it's possibly something that I can address with added / different hardware or different settings.

GZDoom 3.3.1, 64-bit

Running Windows 10 on an Intel i7-6700 @ 4.GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB.

Map stats:
129324 vertices
158047 linedefs
306182 sidedefs
26902 sectors
9270 things

Blockmap size should be less than what I've seen successfully used in other levels, but that aside I've yet to see a map of the same complexity, so I don't have other reference points to compare with.

Screenshot link added, showcase what will occasionally flicker in and out from the given view:

https://ibb.co/fSrgGn
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: UDMF map render issue

Post by Graf Zahl »

You have to give us the map, otherwise we cannot do anything. If you do not want to post it openly, send a PM to me, _mental_ and dpJudas.
Graf Zahl

Re: UDMF map render issue

Post by Graf Zahl »

A classic case of "cannot investigate without any material."

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”