[Linux] GZDoom Has Trouble Rendering Specific Video Modes

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.

[Linux] GZDoom Has Trouble Rendering Specific Video Modes

Post by Guest »

Using latest GZDoom available in the drdteam Debian repo, running in Ubuntu 17.10
GZDoom g3.3.0 - 2018-03-25 12:41:39 +0200 - SDL version
Compiled on Mar 25 2018

My native resolution is 1680x1050. This resolution does not appear in GZDoom's video mode list.
https://i.imgur.com/H5jgWBu.png

I can still activate the mode in windowed mode by issuing the console command "vid_setmode 1680 1050 32"
Attempting to set this in windowed mode gives the error "Unknown resolution 1680 x 1050 x 32"
I can then activate fullscreen via the menu and have the engine render at my native resolution.

However, if I attempt to run the engine again GZDoom will either crash or reset my video mode to the last one I set in the video mode menu.

I have no clue why this is happening. The video mode appears in xrandr and I know my monitor supports it.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: [Linux] GZDoom Has Trouble Rendering Specific Video Mode

Post by Graf Zahl »

GZDoom only lists video modes the system reports. I have no idea why this one gets excluded. But at no point does GZDoom filter out modes for their pixel size.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

The Linux port only has a hardcoded list.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Same for Cocoa backend. I'll merge both lists into one to make sure all resolutions are available. List of video modes was updated in fdd93d7.

Have no idea why it crashes though. Could you please provide a crash log?
Orangestar

Post by Orangestar »

GZDoom just updated to 3.3.1 in the interim, so these logs were taken with that version.
dpJudas wrote:The Linux port only has a hardcoded list.
Seems like it, I was wondering why it was listing resolutions my computer had no possible way of supporting while not listing resolutions I could see with xrandr.
_mental_ wrote:Same for Cocoa backend. I'll merge both lists into one to make sure all resolutions are available. List of video modes was updated in fdd93d7.
Thanks! Got the update a while ago.
_mental_ wrote: Have no idea why it crashes though. Could you please provide a crash log?
Actually, I've suddenly got it crashing whenever I use +vid_setmode now... I renamed gzdoom.ini to gzdoom-bak.ini and started with this command line:

Code: Select all

gzdoom -iwad DOOM2.WAD -glversion 3 +vid_setmode "1680 1050"
and it crashed with this error log.

Thinking this was just because the video mode was listed as unsupported, I tried it with 1280x720.

Code: Select all

gzdoom -iwad DOOM2.WAD -glversion 3 +vid_setmode "1280 720"
That crashed with this error log.

Not including vid_setmode whatsoever successfully started GZDoom with a 640x480 window. Further attempts to use vid_setmode on the command line crashed. Using vid_setmode inside the engine worked successfully.

Then it gets weirder.

After starting the engine, I used vid_setmode 1680 1050, and went to the video options menu to switch to fullscreen. Due to the update, sure enough, the video mode was listed and highlighted in the video options menu. then I shut the engine down and started it up again and it booted... in 640x480 fullscreen. I went to the video options menu and set the resolution correctly and restarted and for some reason it stuck this time. I guess setting the video with vid_setmode isn't getting saved to the config?

I don't know what's going on anymore I'm so sorry.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

It seems usage of vid_setmode CCMD from command line was broken for a while.
This bug was not platform-specific and it has been fixed in 2e7d196.

As a workaround you can try to use +vid_defwidth 1680 +vid_defheight 1050 command line options.
Also, you don't need to use quotes with vid_setmode because +vid_setmode "1680 1050" is interpreted as +vid_setmode 1680

Setting video mode from the game works quite weird indeed. Not sure I have enough patience to debug it in my laggy virtual machine.
Orangestar

Post by Orangestar »

Nice find! Thanks for the fix. I didn't think to use anything else because I... didn't know any other options existed.

Hopefully we can figure out why that's not saving to the config though, or is it just not supposed to?
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Resolution should be saved for sure. It seems to be partially broken in SDL backend though.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”