Savegame loading ingame = Crash; Via commandline = Works

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
XxMiltenXx
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Savegame loading ingame = Crash; Via commandline = Works

Post by XxMiltenXx »

Regarding this issue linked below, I have some curious information.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55191

I have encountered the same error, however my error message is "Tried to transmit another node", but essentially it is the same error related to the long CVars of the HPBar mod.

The odd thing about it is as the title says: If you encounter the error, you cannot load the samegame while you are already in the game. You will encounter said crash. However, if you load the savegame via commandline (-loadgame) it will work.

I am using hpbar-v16.pk3, it can be downloaded here:
https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronu ... ar-v16.pk3

A savegame (for Vanilla Doom 2 and the HPBar mod) containing the error can be found here:
save1.zds
(87.78 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
So, my question:
If it works via Commandline, can't it also be fixed that it can be loaded from within the game?

PS: The question came up, why this mod uses CVars instead of variables within ACS. I think it is simply due to performance reasons. You can check a CVar via a Stringparam (combining hpbar_name_ with the monsters name (e.g. Imp) and you get hpbar_name_imp and can check the value there. However, if you save it as a variable in ACS, you cannot do that. You can make an array, but then you'd have to search through said array every time until you found said monster, and that would cost a lot of performance.
XxMiltenXx
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Savegame loading ingame = Crash; Via commandline = Works

Post by XxMiltenXx »

I forgot to mention that the Savegame is for Doom 2 with the HP bar loaded, sorry about that, edited the post now.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I am closing this because I see no point cleaning up after a very badly designed mod.

Hpbar defines CVARs with reckless abandon and just accumulates too many of them. Like I said in the linked thread, it can only be addressed by increasing a static limit. Worse is that the static limit has a profound impact on network latency, so just to make this one mod work it'd possibly sacrifice playability for others.

I'm just waiting this out until the client/server branch reaches maturity.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Graf Zahl wrote:Hpbar defines CVARs with reckless abandon and just accumulates too many of them.
I took a look at that mod's CVARINFO. It felt like the modder is (ab)using CVARINFO as a LANGUAGE lump.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I just had a look myself. Ouch! This is so wrong it defies belief.
Ok then. I feel no need to deal with such idiocies. That mod seems to have been developed for Zandronum, so that's what people should use it with.
De-M-oN

Post by De-M-oN »

I could imagine, that the dev maybe didnt know how to do it better. Or is it a zandronum limitation?

Because if it is doable better, maybe the dev will change his code if we let him know how to do :)

But I also could imagine he does it with cvars vor user-friendliness? because if you play something with custom monsters you can add the monster names easy due to this.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I fail to see where this setup is user friendly. It's totally overstuffing the engine with CVARs beyond all reasonable extent which can cause all sorts of problems I might not even have thought of.
De-M-oN

Post by De-M-oN »

What would be your suggestion to solve the problem then? And would it be still possible to add monster names for a user afterwards?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I have no suggestion because I haven't looked at what this mod is actually doing.
De-M-oN

Post by De-M-oN »

It adds a hp bar like can be seen here:

https://youtu.be/ukl6Cd9jiK8?t=65

Boss Monster additionally are listed on bottom left in this case the corrupted annihilator.

It is SO awesome. I wouldnt want to miss it. But to have the correct monsternames and not just the Actor names it has the cvars and the possibility that the user can add monsters to it.

for example doomimp = imp

and then the hpbar lists it as an imp and not doomimp.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

De-M-oN wrote:It adds a hp bar like can be seen here:

https://youtu.be/ukl6Cd9jiK8?t=65

Boss Monster additionally are listed on bottom left in this case the corrupted annihilator.

It is SO awesome. I wouldnt want to miss it. But to have the correct monsternames and not just the Actor names it has the cvars and the possibility that the user can add monsters to it.

for example doomimp = imp

and then the hpbar lists it as an imp and not doomimp.
GZDoom already has functionality to give monsters "proper" names by giving them Tag properties. A mod has no business reinventing that particular wheel.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Even then, making those CVARs SERVER is just dead wrong. They have absolutely no business being part of the network stream.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”