Automap and models

Is there something that doesn't work right in the latest GZDoom? Post about it here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!
Apeirogon

Automap and models

Post by Apeirogon »

am_cheat 2 dont show actors that use model instead of sprite on automap.
Is it ok and iddt cheat can show only sprite actors?
Gutawer
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Automap and models

Post by Gutawer »

All your models should have a sprite backing them up anyway (I've had issues where actors with a model and no sprites just can't be placed down in the editor). The cheat can only show sprite actors since its not drawing the map as a 3d space, but as a 2d space.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I wonder if it's possible to "render" the model offscreen (say from the front angle) and output that as a texture to be drawn as a sprite... :?:

(similar to the idea me, Rachael and dpJudas talked about on Discord once regarding a "dressing room" feature)
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Would it be possible to render the model (and/or voxel) on the automap using the expected angle with orthographic projection?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The automap doesn't use a depth buffer so there will be some problems with such an approach because things may overlap in a non-trivial fashion (that is, unless you clear the depth buffer after each model render.)
Hypersonic

Post by Hypersonic »

It would be neat to have a separate 3D automap which uses the same 3D engine as when playing, just move the camera away from the player's eyes to way up in the air looking down like in Diablo, like Doom Builder visual mode.

Trying out the chase command with chase_dist 9999 it seems that it would work out fairly well, if only the camera could 'puncture' through the ceiling. Though vertical sprites are difficult to see, but just like the current map mode they could be drawn horizontally instead of vertically. Models would solve this problem. Orthographic projection would solve the problem of walls blocking the view of floors of adjacent sectors.
Last edited by Hypersonic on Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

*just*... :?
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Gutawer wrote:All your models should have a sprite backing them up anyway (I've had issues where actors with a model and no sprites just can't be placed down in the editor). The cheat can only show sprite actors since its not drawing the map as a 3d space, but as a 2d space.
But all that still projecting to 2D plane of monitor...
Hypersonic wrote:It would be neat to have a separate 3D automap which uses the same 3D engine as when playing, just move the camera away from the player's eyes to way up in the air looking down like in Diablo, like Doom Builder visual mode.
Try play in descent to point "I destroy reactor, where exit?". This have good look only in dead space.
Graf Zahl wrote:The automap doesn't use a depth buffer so there will be some problems with such an approach because things may overlap in a non-trivial fashion (that is, unless you clear the depth buffer after each model render.)
If I correct, map sprite draw as billboard x/y axis. So what if draw model at side view? Find actor slope, in case if it use some dark trigonometric magick to be always perpendicular to floor with any slope, through cathetus of right angled triangle, with one angle equal to finding angle, than find normal to this cathetus in direction of north-south and draw it from this point of view.

Return to “Bugs [GZDoom]”