Automap sprites rotated direction

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Hypersonic

Automap sprites rotated direction

Post by Hypersonic »

This is a very minor issue, but I thought I'd bring it up anyways just in case someone was working on the automap

Setting am_showthingsprites 3 to see what direction you're facing on the automap using the character sprites. Only 8 directions are rendered, but it doesn't always render the closest direction.

to duplicate: Face due north, then turn left ever so slightly (say 1 degree), the character will render looking NW from north. Being only 1 deg from north and 44 degrees from NW, it seems that it should render the character facing north instead.

I'm not quite sure why. The code in question seems to be located in this for loop
https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/blo ... .cpp#L2929

Upon further investigation this is what I've discovered:
N facing sprite: N to NE in 3D view
NE facing sprite: NE to E in 3D view
E facing sprite: E to SE in 3D view
etc...

The 3D view to automap direction mapping should be offset 22.5deg CCW.
_mental_

Re: Automap sprites rotated direction

Post by _mental_ »

Fixed in a3d1efc.
Hypersonic

Re: Automap sprites rotated direction

Post by Hypersonic »

Awesome thanks! Funny thing is that I took advantage of the knowledge that it switched sprite-frames when your facing direction passed due north, won't be able to do that anymore, but this is still better having the map sprite rendered direction never more than 22.5 degrees from the actual direction.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”