Doom's indexfont has a bad "1"

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Doom's indexfont has a bad "1"

Post by Jimmy »

Here are all the characters from Doom's indexfont laid out, using the default translation. The "1" clearly has some dark blue pixels that shouldn't be there.

Also... I'm curious as to why ZDoom makes it blue by default? I know it's contained in a lump in *zdoom.pk3, but why is it not using the individual graphics from the IWAD(s)?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Doom's indexfont has a bad "1"

Post by Graf Zahl »

This is used for the alternative HUD which did not work right with some of the options that were available, so in order to avoid problems it uses its own separate font. The cyan color is merely an artifact of the tool I used to create it, which swapped R and B channels. It doesn't really matter because it never gets used untranslated.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

A bit unrelated to the bug report itself but still: why do these fonts use own format(s) instead of generic graphics one like .png?
If it was done for performance reasons that's fine. If not, I think it will be much easier to fix the issue with such assets stored in commonly used format.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

This all comes from a time where homebrew format for all kinds of stuff where the most normal thing in the world. Some others I got rid of over the years (like XLAT and DEHSUPP) , but the fonts are a) a resource that modders can probide and b) is a lot more complex to handle than those other formats.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Finally fixed after redoing the font in sheet format.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”