Player pitch affects XY movement in 3D shallow water

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Nash

Player pitch affects XY movement in 3D shallow water

Post by Nash »

Tested in gc7d28b0

When you're walking in shallow (3D floor) water, the player's pitch is taken into account for the XY movement. Which means the more you are looking up or down, the slower the XY movement. At straight 90 degrees up or down, the player won't move in XY directions at all.

Test WAD: just step into the shallow water area and look up or down and see how the XY movement is affected by the player's pitch.
Attachments
ShallowWater.zip
(1.07 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
_mental_

Re: Player pitch affects XY movement in 3D shallow water

Post by _mental_ »

I looks like it always works like that thanks to this line. The corresponding C++ code did the same thing long ago before scriptification.
Probably this was not noticed because of limited view pitch in software renderer.
Nash

Post by Nash »

In my opinion, the player should continue to move as if on solid ground (but still affected by the friction of being underwater) as long as he isn't submerged deep enough into the water. How deep is enough, one might ask? I'm not sure. Maybe a full body's height?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

To be honest, I have absolutely no idea whatsoever what this code is trying to do. The entire check looks utterly nonsensical.
But I also have no idea whatsoever what might break if this changes so I'm just leaving it as it is.

This really needs input from Randi. I do not think there's any other person who might shed some light upon it.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Those calculations make sense for underwater and no gravity movement. But for shallow water (when waterlevel is 1) they are pretty weird indeed.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Correct, but keep in mind that the engine makes no distinction between an actor just diving in and one standing in shallow water.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Understood. At some point I will need to create my player pawn's class overrides for my standalone game, so I'll have to end up fixing this myself... along with some other built-in annoyances like how holding down the Jump key actually makes you elevate faster than the +moveup key while underwater (essentially making +jump a cheat key to get out of water faster)...

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”