How does colorchanger decal animator work?

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

How does colorchanger decal animator work?

Post by Jekyll Grim Payne »

I assumed [wiki=Decal_animator#Color_changers]colorchanger[/wiki] would affect the decal's shade. However, this has no effect:

Code: Select all

decal BFGScorch3
{
	pic BFGSCRC3
	animator BFGScorchFade
	shade "80 ff 80"
	randomflipx
	randomflipy
	x-scale 0.5
	y-scale 0.5
}

colorchanger BFGScorchFade
{
	color "00 00 00"
	Fadestart 1.0
	FadeTime 5.0
}
I.e. the decal keeps its greenish color instead of changing to black. (I'm not sure if I should use 00 00 00 or FF FF FF for black, but in either case, it won't change its color.)
Last edited by Jekyll Grim Payne on Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: How does colorchanger decal animator work?

Post by Rachael »

Can you post a bare minimal example? This sounds like a bug that needs to be looked at.

Does it work the same way in both OpenGL and Software?
Jekyll Grim Payne

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Jekyll Grim Payne »

Rachael wrote:Can you post a bare minimal example? This sounds like a bug that needs to be looked at.

Does it work the same way in both OpenGL and Software?
Yes, it works the same in both modes.

Here's a simplified attachment, it uses default BFGscorch. You'll see the scorch under BFGLightning remains green. Maybe it doesn't work on PNG decals? But that'd be weird...

I tried that in GZDoom 3.1.0 and 3.0.1 with the same result. Yet somehow using default ToBlack animator works perfectly! I checked it out in gzdoom.pk3 and it doesn't seem to contain any color definitions at all.
Attachments
colorchanger_bug.wad
(398 Bytes) Downloaded 57 times
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Alright - the problem here is that *FDecalColorerAnim::CreateThinker is not spawning the actual thinker. I still have not found the actual cause of this, and sadly don't have any more time to work on this right now - so someone else may have to pick it up, unless I get back before anyone does.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The problem is actually very simple: DECALDEF must be forward declared, i.e. a decal will never find an animator being parsed after the decal itself. Which is precisely the case in the demo.
To top it off, there is no error if that happens.
Yeah, sorry, this is a clear case of bad design that never got noticed over a long time. The best I can do is print an error message because making the parser capable of tentatively filling in the gaps is a bit of a problem.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”