FastProjectile collision detection in sector portals

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
savage

FastProjectile collision detection in sector portals

Post by savage »

I realise that it may not seem very corteous when one's first post is a bug report, but the map I'm currently working on is heavily reliant on sector portals so here goes.

The test map provided is intended to be run along with Hexen and the class you should choose is Mage as he starts with a weapon whose projectile is derived from FastProjectile. The bug can be quite simply described: if one shoots a FastProjectile through a Sector Portal into another sector that is accessed by going over a surface that the projectile would otherwise collide with, the projectile will not continue travelling and stop on the sector boundary instead.
Okay, that's not a simple description, but that's what the test map is for.
If you load up the test map and try shooting the Mage's peashooter staff at the higher sector's sky while standing in the lower sector, the projectile will collide where it shouldn't. Interestingly enough, if you shoot so that it passes the sector portal's control linedef (pointed out with the green arrow on the ground), it will behave properly.
At first I thought that for some reason it behaves properly only when it passes a linedef before leaving the sector, but after some further testing this turned out not to be the case (orange arrows).
It is noteworthy that the projectile only behaves correctly when you stand close enough to the control linedef (preferably on the green arrow).
Finally, normal missiles seem not to have any issues with this. Frost shards included on the map to test out.
I've tested this bug with the latest development build of GZDoom (gzdoom-g3.2pre-79-gf65c651)

I hope this is comprehensive enough of a report.

*Edit: Probably should have mentioned that by sector portals I meant interactive portals. As seen in the test map.
FastProjPortalTest.wad
Test map - Hexen UDMF
(17.29 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: FastProjectile collision detection in sector portals

Post by Graf Zahl »

fixed

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”