Crash if enemy sees player through 0 target Line_Portal

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Bauul

Crash if enemy sees player through 0 target Line_Portal

Post by Bauul »

I was having a lot of issues with hard crashes on a map that used Line_Portals, and I think I've worked out why:

If a map contains a Line_Portal (Type 156) that has the exit line tag set to "0" (which is useful if you want to turn the portal on later, as you can't create portals at runtime) and an enemy sights you through it, it seems as though GZDoom crashes to desktop. Tested on 3.0.1

Attached is an example WAD. The Lost Soul sights the player as soon as the map launches, so the crash is almost instant. If you turn the Lost Soul to face away from the player, the crash only happens if you alert it and it faces you. Interesting from what I can tell if the enemy is alerted via sound, it doesn't crash straight away, it's specifically when they see you.

I've also attached a crash report, but hopefully it's easy enough to reproduce.
Attachments
CrashReport.zip
(20.51 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Portal Error.wad
(2.32 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Bauul

Re: Crash if enemy sees player through 0 target Line_Portal

Post by Bauul »

Was anyone able to replicate this, or was it just my machine?
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

No, it's hardware independent issue. I can fix the crash but I'm not sure that the problem isn't on the higher level of portal handling logic.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

There is no problem in the portal handling here. It was just a missing null pointer check.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”