3.7.1 Coloured fog under 3D floors

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Enjay

3.7.1 Coloured fog under 3D floors

Post by Enjay »

I noticed the following when playing through my Burghead mission. After leaving map113 to return to map112, the first area that you enter should be filled with green gas.

I have cut out an area to use as a test and here's what it looks like in g3.3pre39-g2f45218 (which is an earlier git build that I just happen to have installed):

Outside the area before activating the green colour:

After making the area green:

Back to the green area looking out (not actually in the green area yet):

Walked backwards into the green area:

All the above screenshots are as expected.

And here's how it looks in 3.7.1

Outside the area before activating the green colour:

A bit darker, but that's just differences in setup between the two installs

After making the area green:

Pretty much as expected

Back to the green area looking out (not actually in the green area yet):

Also much as expected.

Walked backwards into the green area:

Well, that's not what it's meant to be like!

I can't check in a more recent 64 bit git build (because of the startup crash) but the 32 bit build from today still shows this behaviour.

It only seems to happen under 3D floors. Most of map113 (the previous map) gets flooded with gas and it looks fine. Even in the attached test map, if you noclip into the model sector for the 3D floor, it looks fine:

I have tried different sector lighting modes, fog modes and AO settings but none of the changes seemed to make a difference.

The attached map is the test map that I used for the screenshots. It's just a bit cut out of my Burghead map and converted to UDMF. Load it and puke script 1 to create the green.

If you want to clear the clear the green colour again, you can puke script 2. Just like in the original mod, this is meant to fade the green fog colour back to normal lighting (it's a bit clunky, but it basically works in the original mod). However, unlike in the original, as the fog fades, the light seems to get darker (to almost black) in the under-3D-floor sectors before suddenly clearing to normal lighting.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: 3.7.1 Coloured fog under 3D floors

Post by Kappes Buur »

I have a bit of difficulty following whats happening in the screenshots, so I made a short video,

Whatever the green flood light is supposed to do, it seems to do. :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Nope, it's not doing what it is supposed to, even in your video. The video is generally brighter than my screenshots, but the problem is still there.

It's supposed to be a green fog effect. If you noclip into the control sector, you can see how the fog should look and that's also how it used to look under the 3D floors in the play area of the test map.

[Edit] I should have made a simpler demo with a normal green foggy sector using the values in my script and a second below-3D-floor sector with the same effect on its control sector for easy comparison. However, it's late now and I'm on my phone anyway. [/edit]
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Fixed. The fog color had the wrong alpha.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Thank you. :)

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”