Crash with zscripted BD

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Apeirogon

Crash with zscripted BD

Post by Apeirogon »

I try convert brutal doom to zscript.
Firstly gzdoom throw errors like "miss semicolon" or "lack of bracket".
But after I fix `2000 of such errors, gzdoom after start finds millions of errors and crash.
CrashReport.zip
(29.88 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
According to log, it also cant find some ancestors for some actors. Example in the beginning of a log, "WaterParticleXTinySpawner has unknown base class BlueParticleXSpawner". Both classes placed IN THE SAME FILE, I double check it.

I think this is because I mostly convert decorate to zscript, instead of fixing all crutches and hacks in code before do so.
But Im not sure about it.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Crash with zscripted BD

Post by Matt »

Is BlueParticleXSpawner still Decorate while WaterParticleXTinySpawner is now ZScript?

Anything in ZScript must inherit from something in ZScript if they're loaded at the same time.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

A crash without the file causing it is useless, especially if it so strongly hints at "user error".
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Move this topic to Scripting maybe?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I'll wait for a day to see if he still posts some code.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

You need just code or code with sprites/sounds/etc so it can be launch?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

It must launch and cause the crash. Include the minimum set of data for that.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Give me 3-4 days so I can figure out what I can throw away.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

I cant make zscript example, because every time I delete anything from pack, sprites/sounds/etc., this particular error, cant find base class and its successor, appears/disappears and I cant find any system in this.

BUT, I can make tiny decorate example with similar problem. In decorate example, gzdoom again cant find base actor and it successor. Both files included in base decorate file, and base actor exist under same name under which successor use to inherit from it. But this happens only if included decorate files placed in folders.
If files lies like a pile of garbage in the pack root, gzdoom load it without any problem.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h7DfQa ... P1iGd/view
Unpack archive and drop on gzdoom firstly "in folders" folder and then "pile" to see what I mean. Use doom2 iwad.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Order of #include's are different in 'pile' and 'in folders' test cases. That's the sole reason for a different outcome.

As for the crash, please provide a complete runnable sample, even if it's not so minimal. There is nothing can be done without it.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Oh, so #including order is that important!? I thought that gzdoom smart enough to firstly load all resources and code and only then check it for errors.

I check zscript version, maybe there are too wrong "#including" order.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Including order is important for inheritance. You cannot inherit from something that hasn't been defined yet. Most of the rest can be resolved out of order but object size definitely not. To build a child class you need to know how large the parent is, and the only way is to define it before the child.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

You can close it as user error.
"Sergei Markov 4" is an idiot, because he defined non defined actor in actual code which used to spawn blood actors, which hidden in depth of fake errors because of....well, I dont know exactly why, but after I fix/replace all "Try to call a_changeflag/a_custommissile/and such, deprecated since jurassic period" "yellow" errors this is the one of the last unsolved "red" error which appears in gzdoom loading windows.
And Im an idiot because try to port his v21 alpha code to zscript.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Apeirogon, I suggest you follow DavidN's BDLite project for a bit... he's making huge strides in turning BD into something with more sensible code, which can be a much better base for any further systemic changes.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

But I want to do that alone...

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”