Unexpected behavior in override of Weapon.GetUpState

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Player701

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Unexpected behavior in override of Weapon.GetUpState

Post by Player701 »

Check out this ZScript:

Code: Select all

class TestPistol : Pistol
{
    override state GetUpState()
    {
        if (owner)
        {
            owner.A_PlaySound("misc/w_pkup", CHAN_WEAPON);
        }

return Super.GetUpState();
    }
}
If you give yourself this weapon via the in-game console or by launching GZDoom with these parameters:

Code: Select all

gzdoom.exe -file zscript.txt -warp 1 +give testpistol
the sound plays correctly.

However, when going to another map, this will not work as expected. Instead, one of the two things will happen depending on GZDoom version:

1) GZDoom 3.6.0 crashes with a very fatal error.
2) GZDoom g3.7pre-4-gcc8112f88 doesn't crash, but the sound is still not heard.

Expected behavior: the sound should be heard regardless of the context GetUpState is called in.

It is interesting to note that if TestPistol is assigned as a starting weapon, there is no crash (as well as no sound) when starting a map.
Attachments
zscript.txt
(228 Bytes) Downloaded 38 times
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Unexpected behavior in override of Weapon.GetUpState

Post by Graf Zahl »

Crash aside, this is a clear "Don't do that!" situation. As a general rule, "Get..." functions should never implement side effects! To play a sound when a weapon is raised, give the weapon an "UpSound".
Player701

Post by Player701 »

Well, in my use case it is logically more correct if the sound is first heard when the weapon appears on the screen. Also, it is intended to be played in a loop, so UpSound will probably not work. And sometimes the sound does not need to be played at all.

In other words: I need a valid entry point to call arbitrary code as soon as the weapon appears on the screen. Trying to use the first frame of the Raise state for that yields results similar to the ones described above (sometimes crashing and sometimes not doing anything at all).
Nash

Post by Nash »

Graf Zahl wrote:Crash aside, this is a clear "Don't do that!" situation. As a general rule, "Get..." functions should never implement side effects! To play a sound when a weapon is raised, give the weapon an "UpSound".
There is no way for anyone to know this. What is "don't do that", what is "you can do that". There's no reference anywhere on what can or cannot be done.

In OP's case, even I would have done it that way. :shrug:
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

GetUpState is not that point. What this function does is retrieving the state of the weapon raise sequence. You have no guarantees that it gets called where you need it - and even less that only where you need it.
GetUpState is called in 3 places:

player_t::BringUpWeapon
PostMorphWeapon
Resurrect

For what you want, BringUpWeapon is the only relevant one, and it actually does play the UpSound. The other two do not but they are special cases a regular player never goes through during normal play.

@Nash: A bit of thinking might help. The function is called "GetUpState". So it does what it says: It "gets" the state. In this case the name implies its function. And in case you are not sure: Looking where some code gets used can quickly tell you if what you plan may be viable.
Player701

Post by Player701 »

Graf Zahl wrote:GetUpState is not that point. What this function does is retrieving the state of the weapon raise sequence. You have no guarantees that it gets called where you need it - and even less that only where you need it.
GetUpState is called in 3 places:

player_t::BringUpWeapon
PostMorphWeapon
Resurrect

For what you want, BringUpWeapon is the only relevant one, and it actually does play the UpSound. The other two do not but they are special cases a regular player never goes through during normal play.
Unfortunately, BringUpWeapon is not virtual, and even it it were, the code would be coupled to the player class and not to the weapon itself, which would be semantically wrong.

I guess I will implement my logic in the Ready state then, even though it is not ideal for my use case (but close enough).
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Player701 wrote: I guess I will implement my logic in the Ready state then, even though it is not ideal for my use case (but close enough).
I think now I understand why this didn't work. GetUpState retrieves the SELECT state, not READY!
But for the Ready state you'd run into even more problems when overriding its getter.
Player701

Post by Player701 »

Graf Zahl wrote:GetUpState retrieves the SELECT state, not READY!
I am aware of that, sorry if I didn't make it clear.
But for the Ready state you'd run into even more problems when overriding its getter.
No, not override the getter, but instead call the code in the state's frames (same place as A_WeaponReady etc.), this seems to work fine.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

That's actually the proper way to do it...
Player701

Post by Player701 »

Graf Zahl wrote:That's actually the proper way to do it...
Yes, but I actually wanted to execute the code when the Select (raise) state plays, not the Ready state. And it seems there is no way to achieve that as of now, considering what you say and what I said above:
Player701 wrote:Trying to use the first frame of the Raise state for that yields results similar to the ones described above (sometimes crashing and sometimes not doing anything at all).
By "Raise", I meant Select, of course - sorry, confused the name with A_Raise function.

And that's why I said this solution wasn't ideal for my use case, because with it, some game time will pass after the weapon is raised and before the code is executed (though in my case it doesn't feel much different, but still, I don't like having to resort to workarounds).
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I have absolutely no idea where your problem is. Do you want to play something after the weapon has been fully raised or when it starts rising?
+
Player701

Post by Player701 »

Graf Zahl wrote:I have absolutely no idea where your problem is. Do you want to play something after the weapon has been fully raised or when it starts rising?
+
Ideally, it's the latter, and it's not just "play something" but "execute arbitrary code which may or may not include playing a looped sound". Sorry if I couldn't make myself clear earlier.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”