Ghoul's Forest Sequel

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Ghoul's Forest Sequel

Postby NeuroDusk » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:44 pm

I am looking for a team to help co-operate with this project.

It's been 14 years since the last official installment (courtesy of Cutmanmike & his team), and there's been a well-endowed popular TDM spinoff that lasted around a decade.

Now, the hype has worn off but I still want to see a true sequel to the original(s). There has been a couple which I've seen, but they are obviously pranks and not true to the predecessor.

Here is my progress. The quality is highly-compressed but I will explain it's contents along the way:

I would like to stress that it is not that dark in-game. That is a result of the compression of dark colors.

Entirely new map made from scratch modeled to look similar to the original.

The bow was modified and reanimated by myself to be smoother and fit into a 16:9 resolution natively.
Arrows can stick to geometry on higher difficulties (making it impossible to retrieve them if aiming is inconsiderate).
Campfire has a 50% chance of being unlit on start regardless of difficulty, and an 8% chance of going out every 20 seconds (which can be relit using the lighter or a lit arrow).
Arrows can be lit by the campfire to deal 200% damage.

More details in the map:
Leaves fall from the canopy and cover the ground over time.
You can see through the canopy into the night sky.
There are randomized vegetation growing out of the ground (stalagtites, mushrooms, foilage)

Optimizations are made:
Most sprites/textures are in a considerable resolution and converted over to palette to speed up FPS.
Bugs in the original(s) are fixed. Particularly issues with 16:9 resolution and problems online.
NeuroDusk

Discord: Neurodusk#7353

Re: Ghoul's Forest Sequel

Postby Valken » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:55 pm

Looking forward to this... Perhaps take some cues from other forest horror games for new inspiration.
Valken

Postby determin1st » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:20 pm

hmm.. i'm working on bullet projectiles, though arrows may be interesting.. generally they have 80-120 m/s velocity. i didnt get what "can stick to geometry" means, does it mean that arrow sticks into the wall on impact?
determin1st

Postby KynikossDragonn » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:27 pm

I still have very little experience with GZDoom modding, but I could always offer to produce a song(s) for this that you could use in this however you want. No credit necessary either.
KynikossDragonn
『霧雨魔理沙のペットドラゴン』

Twitch ID: kynikossdragonn
Github ID: KynikossDragonn
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby NeuroDusk » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:54 am

Basically arrows stick to linedefs and hang vertically, so if you shoot it out of reach you will not be able to reach it. I'll take anything I can get, but more specifically I'm not an artist.

I have a concept set for new ghouls:

One that will lurk in the canopy and grab the victim from the ceiling. (Black hands)
One that lives in the bog to drag victims under. (Bog Monster)
And one that lingers in the fog awaiting in the distance. (Shadow mob)

They're inspired from my favorite horror films.
NeuroDusk

Postby Clownman » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:12 pm

Hey, this was a surprise to wake up to! I actually made my own Ghoul 3 remaster/remake a few years back but touched up over the years. I dunno if this is gonna follow the same formula or not, since it mostly seems like it's trying to recreate Ghoul 3 much like my mod did, just with additional bells and whistles.

Some of my more ambitious ideas for a Ghoul mod I had were more "survival" elements such as scavenging and resource management, but I always backed down because I didn't want to bog myself with ambition. I did kind of want to try making another one that tried to break the formula a bit more, either going for a more linear or story-based approach (probably starring the Cyborg, whom was introduced in GvH) but even this will do. I look forward to seeing what this will have to offer.

Only real suggestions I can give is to possibly swap out the bow and lighter for these in particular, just to fit the textured aesthetic the actual level is going for here.
Clownman
I'm not gonna fight you... I'm gonna kick your ass.

Postby NeuroDusk » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:06 pm

Not a remake, but a sequel. I have a new roster planned, plus one already finished.
NeuroDusk

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects