Zelda-inspired Fan Project

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Zelda-inspired Fan Project

Postby NeuroDusk » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:47 am

This is initially intended for Zandronum 3.0.

This project has a goal of being optimized with variable horizons.

I am not an artist or map designer; any volunteering would be much obliged.

Here is a video containing the basic concept of the experiment:

NeuroDusk

Discord: Neurodusk#7353

Re: Zelda-inspired Fan Project

Postby Captain J » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:04 am

Zelda mod, but in Third Person?? Now that's super accurate to the original! It's great to see that gameplay is smooth and weapons work nicely, too.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Cherno » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:43 am

Looks and sounds great so far!

The problems I can foresee:
1. Sprites are either Y billboarded, which squishes them down slightly when viewed from a higher position, or not, which make them clip into walls in front of them.
2. Lack of 8-direction character sprites, although that one could be simply handwaved as being true to the original.
Cherno

Postby NeuroDusk » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:43 pm

The camera and perspective are underway tweaking; billboarding (which is currently xy-forced), clipping and scaling are all existing issues.

After prolonged introspective I have decided to make this an open-world experience akin to the original, but with quality-of-life improvements from later titles. Liberties are limited, but not strict. Dungeons will be accessible in a variety of conduct rather than a linear one. Non-key items are available to purchase from shops. Of course this would mean I have to design everything to be completed without relying soley on specific objects.

I have to contemplate the art-style surrounding the world. Potentially with a fake sobel effect with colored lines hidden behind linedefs, which would be complemented with the outlines already on the sprites. Furthermore there will be no ceiling because I want the camera to have access to depth layers (such as overlays and effects such as artificial parallax). I could always program one layer to scroll faster than the other based on offset and world position.
NeuroDusk

Postby NeuroDusk » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:16 am

I think I found an applicable artstyle:

Basically, I appended a 1x1 black line to every sprite and texture; and then an 8x8 black line to every map corner.
NeuroDusk

Postby detwelve » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:58 am

Very cool project! I love the top down perspective. Once I've finished with an update to my current Zelda 1 project I'd love to download this and see if there's something valuable that could be contributed. I would also be interested in adapting some of the top-down strategies for part of a Zelda 2 The Adventures of Link tribute.
detwelve

Postby Sir Robin » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:13 pm

Wow! Looks great so far! Looking forward to see where you go with this. Big fan of classic zelda here
Sir Robin

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects