Phobian Odyssey two-level demo

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Phobian Odyssey two-level demo

Postby DavidN » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:33 pm

Download two-level demo

For my NanoWadMo effort this year, I wanted to make a proof of concept for an action-RPG hybrid that I've been meaning to start for some time. I've got a bit further than I intended to already and it's rapidly becoming a game, so here is an initial look at how Phobian Odyssey begins!

This is a grid-based dungeon crawl game in the vein of Eye of the Beholder, Dungeon Master and especially Etrian Odyssey. You gradually explore a grid based dungeon, collecting treasures and avoiding traps. Encounters with monsters are played in real time Doom gameplay. Beyond where the demo ends, you'll be able to haul the loot you collected from them back to town and upgrade yourself and your weapons.

It's my first real dive into writing major game mechanics in ZScript, so I have to mention that I'm very grateful for JP LeBreton's graphics and string-drawing code, and for everyone in the GZDoom Discord who helped me on the more obscure bits.
DavidN

Re: Phobian Odyssey two-level demo

Postby spoone » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:09 pm

I really enjoyed it.
spoone

Postby Enjay » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:30 pm

It took me a moment to realise how the movement worked but once it clicked, it made sense. It's unusual to be able to look all around but still have the block-step movement of EOB and similar.

Definitely good fun and entertaining but I found that the encounters were a bit too frequent for my tastes and, after a while, they felt like they were getting in the way rather than enhancing play.

Definitely a fun and original idea though and well implemented.

[edit] Oh, perhaps worth mentioning - the status bar fell off the edges of my screen (I could only see abut half of the mugshot). Possibly something to do with the scaling factors I use but I did try changing them with no real effect. I didn't investigate fully.

[/edit]
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby DavidN » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:44 pm

Thanks so much for trying it out! I actually realized the same thing about the encounters and adjusted them down quietly after you posted that - in my testing I was wanting to get a lot of encounters to test them, but thinking about it from normal gameplay, they were too frequent.

The HUD is designed for 16:9 widescreen, but I might be able to adjust it to be narrower!
DavidN

Postby Karl515 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:06 am

Great idea, Fantastic execution. Just thinking about the coding to achieve the grid-based movement and randomized(?) encounters makes me shudder. However, while I was playing the demo, I felt conflicted. We have this cave system full of treasures and traps, while the items, enemies, and weaponry are very modernized. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a medieval themed arsenal as well? But then again, this is a demo and changes will surely occur. Anyways, I'm thoroughly impressed and I'll be keeping an eye for updates.
Karl515

Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan Support

Postby Gez » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:33 am

Enjay wrote:It took me a moment to realise how the movement worked but once it clicked, it made sense. It's unusual to be able to look all around but still have the block-step movement of EOB and similar.

Kind of like Cryo's "Omni3D" games, except this is not "cheating" with a pre-rendered graphic bubble.
Gez

Postby dard98 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:11 pm

Damn, finally someone thought about making a mod with a gameplay more resembling RPG. Wish someone made an JRPG like gameplay mod. Still, can't wait for a full release.
dard98

Discord: 7977
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Jarewill » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:18 pm

Oh damn, this is soooo cool!
I love classic dungeon crawlers and the battles actually being the classic Doom gameplay is such a great idea.
Thanks for the automap mode too, because my dumb self would get lost easily without it.
I had a few issues though:
Spoiler:

This is a really good project so far and I'll look forward to seeing it complete!

Also the battle music is so good. :shock:
Is there a link to it so I can listen to it outside the game?
Jarewill

Postby Captain J » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:15 am

Holy shi... Wow. This is exactly like Doom meets JRPG and i did not expect how it goes. Seamless Random Encounters, Inventory managements, Dialogues and etc. If ID ever released Doom RPG by themselves on the MS-DOS instead of on Mobile, this might've been just like this one. Excellent work!
Spoiler: And of course i had to write feedback on some of my perspective
And that's about it. I didn't expect the end of it and it made me chuckle. I see what you did there!

Lastly, certain addons like Target Spy and Colorful Hell might work like a charm on this!
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects