The Legend of DOOM TC

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: The Legend of DOOM TC

Postby hazzmati » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:47 pm

Pretty nice that Vinny streamed this wad.
hazzmati

Postby Logan MTM » Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:16 am

Oh Lord, this is amazing! :wub:
Logan MTM
I can see you...

Postby retronutcase » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:40 am

This is pretty great, but there are a couple minor details that bug me.

-The Triforce HUD scaling in the automap makes using said automap pretty much impossible unless you use a super tiny HUD.

-The sword opens bombable walls, which...Well, it shouldn't? Far as I know it's possible to make objects that only respond to a specific weapon, so why not do this with bomb walls?

-Sword swing feels a bit slow compared to LoZ's sword stab.

-Sword projectile can travel several "screens" in some cases before hitting something, limiting its use if you miss a shot and it goes past what would be a "screen" boundary. Maybe limit its range to prevent this?
retronutcase

Postby kalensar » Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:06 pm

retronutcase wrote:This is pretty great, but there are a couple minor details that bug me.

-The Triforce HUD scaling in the automap makes using said automap pretty much impossible unless you use a super tiny HUD.

-The sword opens bombable walls, which...Well, it shouldn't? Far as I know it's possible to make objects that only respond to a specific weapon, so why not do this with bomb walls?

-Sword swing feels a bit slow compared to LoZ's sword stab.

-Sword projectile can travel several "screens" in some cases before hitting something, limiting its use if you miss a shot and it goes past what would be a "screen" boundary. Maybe limit its range to prevent this?

@Detwelve - I agree with this fellow So I'll offer the fix advice

-The Triforce HUD scaling in the automap makes using said automap pretty much impossible unless you use a super tiny HUD. --- GZD 4.7.1 updated Automap stuff. So there may be a way of adjusting it easier now.

-The sword opens bombable walls, which...Well, it shouldn't? Far as I know it's possible to make objects that only respond to a specific weapon, so why not do this with bomb walls?--- This one is mostly fixed by MAPINFO concerning Hub Maps so that opened stuff remains saved rather than reset every time.

-Sword swing feels a bit slow compared to LoZ's sword stab. --- This one is true. The sword can safely swing faster without causing a gameplay imbalance. Tic speed of 2 at each address Fire state frame should resolve this pretty easy.

-Sword projectile can travel several "screens" in some cases before hitting something, limiting its use if you miss a shot and it goes past what would be a "screen" boundary. Maybe limit its range to prevent this? This can be fixed via the Spawn State ending with : Goto Spawn+2 rather than use of Loop to give it an infinite range. This should just run it through it SPawn animation phase for 2 full cycles, or however long the best timing is, then initiate the Death State after that.
kalensar
Castlevania 3 for Simons Destiny compiler. Rabid editor

Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)

Previous

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects