OKS - 1900s Sci-fi FPS TC/game [temp name/Mega WIP™]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: OKS - 1900s Sci-fi FPS TC/game [temp name/Mega WIP™]

Postby nova++ » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:55 pm

Alrighty, finally, getting back on track now with the dynamites... thankfully, this one needs only a handful of sprites, although I am going to have to remind myself how overlays work to properly execute this since I have to micromanage two separate sprites.

Need to clean this up by hand sometime. There's always a bit of back and forth with getting things to render how I want them, but that's kinda the price to pay for the convenience 🤷

Also, god I hate hand posing arraraghrgh
nova++
Real life space alien (not fake)

Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit

Postby nova++ » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:30 am

Alright. Boom time approaches. Here's a quick video before I put together a bit more of a produced overview (by my standards anyway)

nova++

Postby Captain J » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:00 pm

Now that's what i call it, the Back Attack.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby nova++ » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:43 am

I suppose this is something of a minor milestone - enough of my initial texture set added that I don't technically have to take anything from doom2.wad anymore, yaaaay

nova++

Postby Enjay » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:58 pm

That looks nice. It's becoming more and more your game. I like it. :thumb:
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby nova++ » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:34 pm

A bit of a non-update. I forgot to say I was taking a bit of a break to do some plain old doom mapping, because I both felt an itch for level design when this game isn't ready for it, and also wanted something to help me practice the art in general. I should be getting back to it soon enough.
nova++

Postby nova++ » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:48 pm

Hi! I'm still around. I've been thinking about this project a bit again lately.

Namely, the underlying technology - as time goes on I have been considering just what sort of thing I want it to be. A standalone game, sure, but what form? The current state is something that's forked off of gzdoom and works within its confines and quirks right up until the end.

Other ideas come to mind though - such as using gzdoom as effectively the "first draft" phase for a demo version of the game, followed by re-implementation in another engine (the Godot engine is top pick here due to its flexibility and open source nature). This could include code lifted from gzdoom as well, such as UDMF map importing and such to allow working from the editing tools I'm familiar with and not re-inventing the wheel. Of course, doing that is kind of re-inventing the wheel in the first place 🤷 Importing levels and spawning things in them is one thing, but doing level scripting after the fact is another entirely

I dunno. Just thinking out loud, doing a bit of soul-searching.
nova++

Postby R4L » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:42 am

That MG looks and animates very nicely! The firing sound could use some work though. Everything else looks amazing!
R4L
Barry Burton - I have THIS

Discord: R4L#4655
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Baysha » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:48 pm

This looks great! I absolutely love everything about the Butcher.
Baysha

Postby nova++ » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:49 pm

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I'm still working at this bit by bit - tangentially. I've been developing stuff that might enable me to build this on the Godot engine while still importing a lot of existing data and being able to develop everything how I would like rather than being beholden to gzdoom's quirks and limitations.

I dunno if that means I should be kicked out of the forum or what... 🤔
nova++

Previous

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects