OKS - 1900s Sci-fi FPS TC/game [temp name/Mega WIP™]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: OKS - 1900s Sci-fi FPS TC/game [temp name/Mega WIP™]

Postby Jarewill » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:32 am

This looks pretty darn good, I especially love that butcher enemy as it heavily hits my aesthetic.
That sector acceleration thing also looks so hecking smooth! It deserves to be in base GZDoom. :D
Jarewill

Postby nova++ » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:15 pm

Jarewill wrote:That sector acceleration thing also looks so hecking smooth! It deserves to be in base GZDoom. :D

It's not particularly elegant in truth - it doesn't handle sudden reversals at all (like pressing use to re-close a door midway through opening). Ideally, it would slow to a stop and then reverse, but in this case it just instantly changes direction, because it only calculates the new speed based on distance from the start and end of travel. So to do it properly would require a totally new way of handling sector movement that gives the moving surface a certain degree of inertia and a sustained velocity, then actually accelerates/decelerates that at the required times. Also, it makes the physics freak out sometimes... I had to enable +MOVEWITHSECTOR on all monsters and the player, otherwise when going down somehow the platform escapes from them and you sort of awkwardly bounce down. Not sure why that is...
nova++
Real life space alien (not fake)

Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit

Postby nova++ » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:05 pm

Today I spent much of my time trying to figure out the dark art of font authoring in this engine. I regret everything, but I at least managed a reasonable placeholder:

Just don't look too hard at the kerning.

You looked, didn't you.

I am struggling to figure out how font colors work, though. The small font always wants to be red-tinted by default. I don't really get how the translations and stuff work as they don't end up having the results I expect - a white label font doesn't get tinted, only colors below white. Which doesn't apply to the large font, only the small one... I don't know, I'm confused.
nova++

Postby Artman2004 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:55 pm

This is quickly shaping up to be one of the most unique Doom TCs ever created.

I do feel like the MG fires a bit slow, though.
Artman2004

Postby Cardboard Marty » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:31 am

This looks absolutely fantastic and unique, love the aesthetic you're going for! Looking forward to seeing more!
Last edited by Cardboard Marty on Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cardboard Marty
"WHAT??? YOU are telling me the guy just updates when ever he wants?"

Discord: Cardboard Marty#1337
Twitch ID: CarlosAtBV

Postby nova++ » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:09 pm

Artman2004 wrote:I do feel like the MG fires a bit slow, though.

I'm not 100% sure what its final fire rate will end up being, but the intent was to givei t some real heft as it hits pretty hard. It's sort of inspired by the slow fire rate of some weapons in the early days of automatic fire (like the Chauchat machine gun of WW1). Of course, much faster firing ones existed at the time, too, so it's still more of a deliberate choice. I want to make it have a much larger blood splatter than, say, a shotgun pellet, and I need to beef up the sound a bit (and maybe even the damage a bit more) to really convey its nature as a high-tier weapon.
Last edited by nova++ on Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
nova++

Postby nova++ » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:16 am

Something new coming soon - need to finish a few more mechanics for it and then I'll make a demo video for it

nova++

Postby nova++ » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:41 am

Well, I got super sidetracked by re-porting my source changes back over to gzdoom instead of lzdoom, I think it's just probably better if I keep things up to date... there aren't a whole lot though so it's not too hard to do. After that I've been working on the fire system that will make the flare gun achieve its full potential.

More visually interesting, I've been waffling on whether I want to include dynamic lighting for particular objects such as the flares. I think it enhances the look, but a part of me kind of feels like it starts to get a bit unfaithful to the intended aesthetic I'm going for. I think I am leaning toward including them, though, just only using them tastefully and selectively in places where the visual is greatly enhanced by it.

I was hoping to have done the demo video by now, but I want to get it looking nicer before then. Also, I discovered that I can totally break gzdoom by running it on a network drive from another PC, then running it on the host PC again. Totally flips its lid and won't work again until I reboot. Wasted an hour trying to figure out what I had done wrong. 👍
nova++

Postby Gez » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:58 am

nova++ wrote:More visually interesting, I've been waffling on whether I want to include dynamic lighting for particular objects such as the flares. I think it enhances the look, but a part of me kind of feels like it starts to get a bit unfaithful to the intended aesthetic I'm going for. I think I am leaning toward including them, though, just only using them tastefully and selectively in places where the visual is greatly enhanced by it.

The Elder Scrolls Chapter 1: Arena (released in March 1994) had dynamic lights, from objects and from spells cast by the player. And it's a game that looks like this:
I wouldn't worry about dynlight detracting from the retro aesthetic too much. However, a "period accurate" restriction you could have is make them all pure white, because colored lighting was trickier to do in software with acceptable performances than having a single fade-to-black look-up table.
Gez

Postby Enjay » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:42 am

And it really wasn't much later (1996) that Duke Nukem 3D was doing its very colourful sector lighting-like effects, the same year Quake was wowing me with the way rockets lit up the scenery as they went past and Quake 2, the following year, raised the bar several more notches. I mean, OK, those last two are true 3D games but things moved pretty quickly and a mid-90s aesthetic could draw from any of those and still be "period accurate".

The real questions, however, are:
What do you think looks best?
What fits with how you envisage your game?
Are you happy without dynlights? / Would you be happier with them?

Being "period accurate" is all well and good, but you're making the game in 2021 using an engine that harnesses many modern technologies. In such a situation "period accuracy" is only an aesthetic veneer anyway.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby nova++ » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:53 am

Yeah, I try not to let the little voice flailing about "authenticity" have toooo much sway. I try to let it keep me aesthetically consistent but I have to smack it sometimes when it gets pushy. They already can be toggled anyway, so...

In the background I have a bit of "meta-lore" for the game that places it in the 1996-1997 era by some unknown small team of developers working from, I don't know, rural Maine. Hacked slopes and dynamic lighting into their unlicensed doom engine mods can just be one of their lost achievements. I dunno, something about imagining this in the back of my mind as a source port for a lost game is fun.

As for the flare gun, I pretty much just need to get some fire particles together... I am trying my hand at painting them from scratch instead of just using photo textures, although I should probably just get some placeholders first.

It's either a flame or a chicken nugget
Last edited by nova++ on Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
nova++

Postby Enjay » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:03 am

Most games have an in-game backstory of some sort but it's pretty cool that you've got a back story for the dev team and process in your head too. I like that idea.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby nova++ » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:53 am

This tangentially reminds me, I need to think of some future SFX directions as well. I've been trying to make as much stuff as possible from scratch, either from my own recordings or CC0 stuff from freesound.org, there are currently a few exceptions though. Namely the Butcher's sounds, they are partially derived from monster screams from Return to Castle Wolfenstein. And... I love them as they are, but I also do want to move to something from scratch at some point. Hmmmmmmppph... I guess I can make some awful screeching and moaning noises into my mic and remix that sometime 🤔

I've also been having a mild struggle with audio bitrates. I am quite fond of the delectable crunchy sound of 11khz audio and nearest-neighbor resampling, but I have to admit it is very hard to get things sounding good under those limitations when you are dealing especially with a lot of high frequencies. Gunshots in particular have been very frustrating to work out. I guess in general it seems the more headroom I have the better it goes. Increasing the bitrate works fine too in some circumstances, but ironically a 22khz or even 44khz sound can sound not quite as crisp as a nearest-sampled 11khz one.

The lesson here is: Don't be like me. Don't do this to yourself.
nova++

Postby nova++ » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:38 pm

And at last, here is the flare gun and fire extravaganza -

nova++

Previous

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects