OKS - 1900s Sci-fi FPS TC/game [temp name/Mega WIP™]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
nova++

Re: OKS - 1900s Sci-fi FPS TC/game [temp name/Mega WIP™]

Post by nova++ »

Zemakat wrote:Superb modelling! I like how this is coming together. Best of luck!
Thank you, I appreciate it

----

Waffling on this bakelite sort of texture. It's hard to convey. The sort of thing I have in mind is a sort of marbled look, like can be seen here (albeit much richer):

It's just difficult to get across. Plus, when it's smashed and spriterized it's not going to be too visible anyway...
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Most Bakelite that I have seen on electrical appliances has been quite a bit darker than that (very dark brown, almost black).

The risk is that, as you've identified, it will just look like a block of colour when reduced to sprite size.
nova++

Post by nova++ »

I think it's about done now. I decided to just go with a different shade of metal in the end, don't think I should go too crazy this late in the design...

I think I've captured the "cobbled together piece of crap" look I was going for
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I think it captures the intended look very nicely.

Just a thought: are you aware that it is possible to have higher-resolution HUD weapon sprites? I guess that you wouldn't want to go too hi-res given the intended aesthetic of the game, but it is possible to increase it beyond the default "this was intended for a 320x200 screen" level of detail.
nova++

Post by nova++ »

I never actually looked into the method for it, but I've thought about it, yeah. Perhaps I'll give it a try sometime and see how it feels...
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

There are two main methods that I am aware of: define your sprites in the TEXTURES lump, using scaling factors in the definition, or set up your low-res versions as normal then drop the hi-res versions into a folder called HiRes and GZDoom will automagically scale them and offset them to match the size and offsets of the low-res versions.
nova++

Post by nova++ »

Here I am getting all distracted again...

But what if P90 was 1910s?

I'm hardly a "gun person" but I like to try and come up with some sort of plausible (if bizarro) mechanism for the operation of the weapons in here. In this case, I imagine the cartridges pointing nose-down in the magazine, then some sort of mechanism that levers via the action of the bolt to hoist one up and angle it forward before the bolt returns and chambers it. I need to stop myself from actually, like, drawing/modeling that mechanism, because I will 100% nerd-snipe myself with stupid challenges like that.

Anyway, this is the SMG, what I am considering making your second-slot weapon instead of a typical pistol or somesuch. High rate of fire, low damage per shot, but good for irritating and stun-locking some jerks while making an escape, or clearing out lower tier enemies. The weirdo magazine allows for a very high capacity between reloads (my out-of-my-butt figure is 45 rounds)
nova++

Post by nova++ »

Getting sidetracked from my sidetrack to do some monster doodles and design... soon I think I'll compile a bestiary of all the mainline enemies that I want to complete before I consider the initial roster properly filled out.

Until then, enjoy my legendary art skills.

(not to scale)

Oh and I got the SMG almost done. I have been going way overboard...

Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

kickass concepts. Both weapons and enemies but enemies are adorable :D
nova++

Post by nova++ »

It's lore time! This is not the full roster, I am going to be doing it in chunks based on the two main different themes. Also, I am only covering the base monster set that will appear in the first episode.

MONSTROLOGY, Part 1: KAL-SHULEK

KAL-SHULEK are not an individual species or entity, but rather a broad name for a collective of related species and the world they occupy. It's possible they were once a coherent, single species, but such information has been lost to time in their many thousands of years of history.

They are a collective of twisted artistry - the core of their identity is a belief in conflict, conquest, subjugation, violence, and bloodshed as the highest forms of art and beauty. The perfect invasion is considered a great work to stand the test of time, commemorated in grand murals and epic poems. Any who dissent are cast out, killed, or simply fed into the great fleshforges that help manufacture their armies of constructs.

Kal-Shulek's technology is a conjunction of the mechanical, the biological, and the arcane. Nearly all individuals have some artificial components grafted upon them, and some of their most common weapons are the aformentioned constructs - walking bioweapons built of scavenged flesh and blood and bone, held together with mechanisms and compressed into whatever form is considered useful.

Let's begin with those constructs, as they form the bulk of their forces in terms of numbers...

========================

The CONTROLLED are the most basic sort of construct - if they can even be called that. They are individuals of almost any species that's been claimed by a control unit, effectively "manufactured" at the moment of attachment, and taking only a matter of minutes to reconfigure its new host to what form the unit judges optimal. Most of the time, this means simply making no changes, and using the body as it exists.

The Controlled can leverage snippets of prior knowledge of their hosts - enough to fire a gun or activate a grenade (throwing the grenade eludes them, however)

========================

The SKELECLOPS is a construct composed of the leftovers and tailings from the manufacture of its peers - the fleshcrafting equivalent of extremely low-grade sausage. It's compressed into a roughly humanoid form, given an eyeball, joint reinforcements, a control unit, and a spiked club, and dumped on the battlefield almost as soon as it's created.

Being composed of inferior materials, the Skeleclops' body is only loosely held together. Upon taking too much damage, the reinforcements and controller simply give out, and the creature explodes in a burst of blood and bile and giblets.

========================

Large, slow, and disgusting, forged in the fleshstock molds of Kal-Shulek, the BUTCHER is the mainstay heavy unit of their ground forces. It has four arms with huge jagged knives on their ends, no discernable head, and a variety of disfigured faces all over its body.

At close ranges it will of course attempt to slash at its enemies, but at long ranges it will sling its four knives. This is extremely messy in general, because the knives it throws were attached to its body, and after throwing them four new ones burst out of its stumps with a spray of blood.

It is considered by the fleshcrafters who manufacture it to be an almost perfect soldier, never complaining or tiring, never stopping its pursuit of the enemy. It is also 100% recyclable if its remains can be recovered before putrefaction sets in (and even then, you could always use the rotten bits for a skeleclops)

{ed note: The appearance is pending some updates; the butcher was the first sprite I made and the art style of the enemies has sort of charged out from under them}

========================

Kal-Shulek are also not averse to using war animals...

========================

"Mlerp"

The WARTOAD is an extremely prolific native creature among the home territory of Kal-Shulek. Wild variants find an abundance of food as they root through garbage and spoils, gorging themselves on supplies of raw fleshstock and souljuice used in the manufacture of constructs.

In addition, they reproduce fully asexually, simply vomiting out an egg at unpredictable intervals. The egg is then buried in the ground, then hatches into a grub before eventually sprouting legs and emerging onto the surface. Because of this potential for exponential growth (and the previously mentioned excess of nutrition), a single individual can saturate an area in a matter of weeks to the point the only population controls are infighting and cannibalism.

Both of these factors have turned them into a considerable pest for Kal-Shulek, and has led to vast numbers of them being "conscripted" as war animals to both control their numbers and make them do something useful. Their ovi-expectorator has been hijacked and modified to produce a highly corrosive plasma-bile that floats with electrostatic forces and is weakly attracted to targets.

========================

The KILLHAWK is another native Kal-shulek species, captured and raised as a war animal. Their highly aggressive and territorial behaviour is leveraged by treating them almost like loud angry land mines. They naturally prefer to cling to the ceiling when resting and do so for long periods, until disturbed, and as such clusters of them can be put in choke points, surprising intruders with a sudden onslaught of beaks and claws. And screams.

========================

Beyond the fodder enemies are the primary trained infantry of Kal-Shulek. They exist in several tiers, but all come from the same stock - cloned and incubated and raised by broodwatchers, augmented for their intended role as soon as their bodies can survive it.

========================

The INFANTRY are the backbone of Kal-Shulek's (trained) armed forces, and perhaps the closest thing remaining to what the original founder species might have once looked like. They are covered in leathery, slightly damp skin, a fair bit taller than the average human, and are equipped with a standard issue blaster cannon. Much of their face has been replaced with upgraded components including multiple sets of optics and life support gear.

They move quickly and erratically and should be watched closely to avoid catching a barrage in the face. Confronting even one of them in close quarters with no room to dodge their shots is extremely discouraged.

They also are equipped with grenades that they will occasionally throw at their targets. One should watch their posture and listen for their warning call to avoid the incoming grenade - or knock it out of their hand.

========================

An offshoot of the base infantry, the SNIPER is something of an outlier among the ranks. Although socialization is minimal among the forces (and incomprehensible to outsiders), the snipers are still generally avoided. Something about them makes the others uneasy. Maybe it's the feeding probiscus jutting out of their face, the high-magnification optics, the massive blaster cannon, or the skintight wetworks suit with unexplained carry handles.

This suits the snipers just fine, though - they prefer their solitude, waiting for a target in silence until their weapon begins to charge. A bright flare and loud buildup swells briefly before the shot comes, sending a high-damage projectile downrange at great speed. It never hurts to keep an eye on high ledges in case one of them is keeping an eye on you, too.

========================

[IMAGE NOT FOUND]

Ranking the highest of the common ground troops, the KNIGHT is, as might be expected, the most dangerous. Standing notably taller than the base infantry and much more augmented and deformed, it isn't as fast, but makes up for that by being equipped with a grafted set of propeller cowlings that allow flight over the battlefield. From altitude, it rains down shots from dual blaster pistols in rapid succession before eventually descending.

These extensive modifications make them somewhat more volatile than the usual grunt - if their flight system is active at the time of death, the whole power supply is likely to go critical, causing them to explode spectacularly like a juicy firework.

========================

The PRIEST handles the begrudgingly accepted task of healing and revival among Kal-Shulek's ranks. Tall, one-armed and slender with a slow, shuffling (and unbalanced) gait, it avoids conflict (a shameful proposition) and cannot attack anything and, indeed, the moment it spots a threat, it cloaks itself and runs away. When a threat is not around, though, it seeks out dead and dying allies and blasts them with an energizing beam of plasmified souljuice, forcing them back to life, if not back to health. Revived creatures aren't as durable as the first time, although they are just as capable of causing damage.

{ed note: really need a complete redo of the sprite, it's another very old one, as evidenced by the fact it's way smaller than the others! Although the idea of making them into skittering little anklebiters is kind of funny.}

========================

The OVERSEER is-- [text obscured by extensive blood splatters]

Whoof, that took longer than I thought it would to write. Good thing I decided to split it up.
Gez

Post by Gez »

So is Kai-Shulek the KS of OKS?
nova++

Post by nova++ »

Gez wrote:So is Kai-Shulek the KS of OKS?
[spit take]

Probably not??

Still just a temporary name, I'm pretty bad at naming projects. So "OKS" is just the initials of my first idea that sounds kinda dumb in full but it's better than what I was using before, which was just "That Game"
Gez

Post by Gez »

Hey, it could have been something like "Onslaught of Kai-Shulek" or something. Of course if you say it's something in dumb in full then I'll just assume it was "Operation Kill Stuff".
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Doom could definitely have used an enemy like the Priest instead of the Arch-Vile. :roll:
nova++

Post by nova++ »

Oh yes I should also note that all the enemy names are subject to change, mainly the more generic ones like priest/knight/etc... originally skeleclops was a temporary name but I mean, how could I give that up?

And fine I'll admit it :P the original meaning of OKS was "Opus Kal-Shulek" in the sense that the invasion is supposed to be an opus, a great work, for Kal-Shulek. But I just feel kinda dumb putting "opus" in the name of one of my projects, I guess. And besides that, it just doesn't click for me. But it makes a passable 3 letter codename, at least.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”