{WIP} DEADTECH (1.1.2!)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

{WIP} DEADTECH (1.1.2!)

Postby Hor1zon Str1der » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:21 am

Demo 1.1.2 released! (See Changlog)

Somewhere in the vast cold of space, in distant years, old machines reawaken. Technologies long dead and forgotten live once more, and abominations of metal and corrupted code begin to roam the surface.

You are the last human on the planet. Human being relative.

Deadtech is a science fiction themed Total Conversion designed with GZDoom in mind. Set on a distant planet in the far flung future, seemingly inhabited entirely by robots. The player takes the roll of a more machine than man cyborg armed with a machine pistol.

SCREENSHOTS:
Spoiler:

Planned features:
Three Ten level episodes
A large and varied enemy roster
A number of bosses
A number of new weapons
An in game story line

It's still very WIP at this point. This demo includes the first five levels.

1.1.2 Changelog:
Spoiler:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/2d77r1fp1mne4f8/DEAD_TECH_DEMO_1.1.2.pk3/file

Credits:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Hor1zon Str1der on Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hor1zon Str1der

Re: {WIP} DEADTECH

Postby Captain J » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:00 am

Beat the whole demo and i must say, this is promising and totally has own unique feel to it. The dystopian atmosphere that's lifeless but only machines roam around of this TC is brilliant.

Tho i must say the enemies in this game are quite tough to fight even in easiest difficulty. I guess the projectiles are rather fast and they rarely go to Pain State. Small enemies are also pesky to deal with. Especially the aerial one's hit detection is quite weird. I mostly miss my shots when i'm fighting with this thing.

And i would like to see SMG being slightly accurate so i can spare my ammo and snipe the enemies from distance. Otherwise, this TC's cool! This is like Rampancy plus System Shock in one and i love it.

EDIT: oh i mean "System" Shock. Haha
Last edited by Captain J on Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby ReformedJoe » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:22 pm

I like this and I think it has potential.

That being said I have a few points:
Spoiler:
ReformedJoe

Postby Enjay » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:50 pm

It's great to see something original like this - and I really like the setting. Loads of potential here.

I have read Captain J and ReformedJoe's comments and I agree with all points made (both pros and cons).

I personally would like a way to switch off the visual overlay. I found it annoying.

I noticed that at least one weapon was not widescreen friendly (fist during its punch frame). I would suggest addressing that because most people have widescreen monitors these days.

Also, GZDoom in bebug mode reports the following warnings on startup:
Code: Select allExpand view
Script warning, "DEAD_TECH_DEMO_1.1.pk3:decorate" line 116:
Tried to define class 'MEAT' more than once. Renaming class to 'MEAT@DEAD_TECH_DEMO_1.1.pk3@decorate'
Script warning, "DEAD_TECH_DEMO_1.1.pk3:decorate" line 464:
Tried to define class 'Scanner' more than once. Renaming class to 'Scanner@DEAD_TECH_DEMO_1.1.pk3@decorate'
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Hor1zon Str1der » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:09 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I'll see what I can do about the issues. Should have an updated version sometime in the next few days. Updated Today!
Hor1zon Str1der

Postby ReformedJoe » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:42 pm

Great stuff! Thoughts below.
Spoiler:
ReformedJoe

Postby Hor1zon Str1der » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:44 pm

Thanks. I am planning on implement difficulty level. I'm also going to continue tweak enemy health a bit.
Hor1zon Str1der

Postby Enjay » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:12 pm

Hor1zon Str1der wrote:player no longer 'bleeds' until I can figure out ho to stop the Hunter's laser sights from causing bleeding

As ReformedJoe mentioned, it should be possible to fix this by defining your own bullet puff in DECORATE. If you give the puff the BLOODLESSIMPACT flag (I think) then tell your railgun attack (which is what I think you are using for their lasers?) to use your new puff, then they shouldn't make the player (or anything) bleed.

I've had a very quick look at the new upload. So far so good and I much prefer the significantly reduced screen overlay effect. :)
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Re: {WIP} DEADTECH (1.1.2!)

Postby Hor1zon Str1der » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:29 am

NEW Update!
Hor1zon Str1der

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects