Action Doom 2: Urban Brawl Reloaded

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Action Doom 2: Urban Brawl Reloaded

Postby Scuba Steve » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:07 am

Captain J... the funny thing is, he's still cannononically a gay mobster... but what separates a gay mobster from a straight one? The only thing I removed was the stereotyped imagery. I think it also avoids one other serious problem; in terms of equity, it shouldn't matter if you beat up gay enemies or straight enemies... but the moment he becomes a stereotype and his sexuality becomes a caricature... smashing his face into a car window becomes a little problematic. After reworking the character, you still smash his face into a car window... but it's more because he's an asshole mobster and his sexuality doesn't factor into it.

I've always felt that's the defining line... marginalized people can be enemies in games or villains in film, but as soon as they become caricatures of their group and you enact violence against them, it starts feeling really uncomfortable. You can beat up women in Streets of Rage 4 and nobody bats an eye, but if you went to a strip club in the game and beat up female sex workers... most people are probably goign to say "yikes."
Scuba Steve

Postby Logan MTM » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:57 am

Classic!
Logan MTM
I can see you...

Postby Captain J » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:11 am

Scuba Steve wrote:Captain J... the funny thing is, he's still cannononically a gay mobster... but what separates a gay mobster from a straight one? The only thing I removed was the stereotyped imagery. I think it also avoids one other serious problem; in terms of equity, it shouldn't matter if you beat up gay enemies or straight enemies... but the moment he becomes a stereotype and his sexuality becomes a caricature... smashing his face into a car window becomes a little problematic. After reworking the character, you still smash his face into a car window... but it's more because he's an asshole mobster and his sexuality doesn't factor into it.

I've always felt that's the defining line... marginalized people can be enemies in games or villains in film, but as soon as they become caricatures of their group and you enact violence against them, it starts feeling really uncomfortable. You can beat up women in Streets of Rage 4 and nobody bats an eye, but if you went to a strip club in the game and beat up female sex workers... most people are probably goign to say "yikes."
His color scheme got drastically changed as well so i thought that was the final nail to the coffin of changing his sexuality. But i think i can see enough of a hint from his overall character design along with your reply. The message is still there with, thankfully, no "overkill" level of confirmation and unintended-defamation over his sexuality that could've ended up telling others the wrong message. Your reply clarifies so much and i definitely agree that villains with such sensitive details must be handled very carefully to explain why they're a villain in the first place without bringing or poking into stereotypes rather too much, meant to be joke or not otherwise it'll be awkward and the criticisms will be made.

I mean no harm and glad you think the same. Again, i totally appreciate for the changes and made the game better!
Spoiler: And uhh got a lil' question

EDIT:
Amuscaria wrote:Be really nice if could could dual-wield bottles, though.
Or to make it even more real: make the bottles throwable!
Last edited by Captain J on Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Scuba Steve » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:57 pm

I started some preliminary cleanup (I made my first 3d floor in the Mario secret to replace the overhead blocks), but the original needs a lot of work since I'd like to overhaul the mechanics to take advantage of GZdoom to add hit points, better jumping mechanics, and replace a lot of the dehacked with decorate.
Scuba Steve

Postby Amuscaria » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:25 pm

The new combat system definitely made a lot of the areas from the old mod much more manageable. I remember getting my ass kicked in the subway, but this time around I blasted thru it without much problem.

Really liking the winter episode. I don't remember that being in the first iteration of the game, but I might have missed an update back in the day.

Be really nice if could could dual-wield bottles, though.
Amuscaria
The Sentient Mushroom

Postby Captain J » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:15 am

Spoiler: Sorry to bother you but this might be the final feedback
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Postby Scuba Steve » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:45 pm

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MJ9GfM ... sp=sharing

Before I upload the final fix to idgames, are you seeing the same errors now in the console? I implemented some of the changes, Captain J. My sister was adamant about the subway thing too, but I kept it off because it's more of an easter egg than an actual "path" to take.
Scuba Steve

Postby Captain J » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:36 pm

Scuba Steve wrote:My sister was adamant about the subway thing too, but I kept it off because it's more of an easter egg than an actual "path" to take.
Spoiler: Reply to Steve, of course it has Spoiler so i spoiled it

EDIT: Forgot to add more feedback to the Spoiler so might check this out again later just in case. I'm so sorry about my insecurity!

EDIT2:
Scuba Steve wrote:efore I upload the final fix to idgames, are you seeing the same errors now in the console?
Also no, i actually saw multiple endings with the credits playing and there was no error messages. It worked nicely. Tho the HUD was still on for some reason.
Last edited by Captain J on Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Postby CyborgParrot » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:43 pm

Nice to see this make a comeback! :D
This was one of the very first Doom Mods I ever played :)
CyborgParrot

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Captain J » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:48 am

I did my best to seek out the glitch before release on Doomworld. There are some glitches that are new, and unchanged. Here you go!
Spoiler: Literally spoiler warning.
And that's about it! Maybe there's more bugs to stomp, but i guess this is fine enough. Again, you two are doing great and my goodness that was quick. Thank you so much for good work and i hardly can wait for fixed version of Action Doom 1. Maybe there will be new enemies, new weapons and even new levels. But who knows!
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Postby Scuba Steve » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:29 pm

the game says you require powerful computer to play Zomg Zombies

That's because it was made in 2008 :P No modern system even hiccups on this map.
Scuba Steve

Postby Captain J » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:22 am

Well that's true. But now it gives me the mild framerate issue. But it's so much better than being crashed. So yeah.
Spoiler: more spoilrez
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Postby Tormentor667 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:02 am

Can you please do the same for Action Doom 1?
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Scuba Steve » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:24 pm

If you're willing to commit to writing ACS and coding the things I can't, I'll clean up level art and architexture and add the new sprites.
Scuba Steve

Postby Scuba Steve » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:53 pm

Action Doom 2: Urban Brawl 1.2.1 fixes
There were some concerning GZDoom errors in the prior release that needed to be fixed to future-proof (as best as one can) Action Doom 2 from breaking in future releases. This update fixes those errors being dumped as well as cleans up other issues that community members found. Barring any game-breaking bugs, this will be the final release and the one uploaded to idgames.

• Objects like trashcans can be thrown like enemies including individual tires from each stack (yes, Ralphis, the basketball can be thrown too)
  • Hugo boss reworked; features new attack to provide increased challenge
  • Kicking made uniform across most melee weapons: key added (reload key) for throwing knives/shuriken alt attacks.
  • GZDoom console errors being dumped by bad scripts in map01
  • Graphical & sound glitches related to running as a pwad
  • Grabbing & throwing code cleanup
  • Difficulty balancing regarding enemy damage/pushback/health
  • Repaired broken sniper code (could simply run to the end of the map)
  • Chandeliers no longer fall on your head from the ground pound explosion
  • Winter glitch preventing door from closing
  • Enemies now alerted in bossrush and map07
  • Brass knuckle uppercut damage increased
  • Dogs stuck in farmhouse
  • Cutscene sfx overplaying one another
  • Electrocution artwork for all skins
  • Fixed tube mechanics to function like the katana
  • Improper sounds playing during enemy attacks
  • HUD weapon items overlaying one another
  • Replaced missing sfx for items/secret in iwad
  • Includes sfxthx credits document in the wad as per creative commons license
  • New tutorial graphic teaching players about the ‘kick’ command
  • Future-proofed throwing mechanics by having alternate states for large/small objects
  • Tons of other mistakes
Scuba Steve

PreviousNext

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects