Hell-Forged - Episode 2 (Restarting Eventually)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Amuscaria

Hell-Forged - Episode 2 (Restarting Eventually)

Post by Amuscaria »

Hell-Forged Episode 2: City of the Damned (formerly Planes of Despair, but the name didn't fit the episode's theme) is the sequel to Hell-Forged. You, the player, is trapped on an alien world long lost to Hell's interdimensional conquests. Here is a land of death, decay, blood and poison. The goal of this episode is to really drive in the dire circumstances of what happens when Hell wins as you fight your way through abandoned ruins and alien facilities warped by the corrupting powers of the abyss.

I will be using a different development strategy for this episode, broken down into three phases. The first phase is monster sprite development, and arguably the most important and hardest phase. There are a lot more custom enemies this time around, so this will take a while. The second phase is texture and mapping development. More effort will be placed into this phase compared to Episode 1, and I'll spend more time actually making custom texture sets instead of the mass-produced pattern-based approached I did for episode 1. The finally phase is prop creation and testing. An open Alpha and Beta will be available once the first 2 phases are ready.

(NOTE: The assets posted here are NOT open for public use until the release of the v2.00 of Hell-Forged Episode 2)

GAMEPLAY CHANGES
Spoiler:
===========================================================================================================================

LORE
Spoiler:
THE ARSENAL
Spoiler:

BESTIARY

The enemies found in The Planes of Despair are far more twisted than the likes you've seen back in your world. Even the Hellsmith wouldn't compare to what lies in store for you. Eons of damnation and corruption has changed even the Hellspawn into something worse. From the spirits of the vengeful damned, two the demons infused with Blood Magic, the creatures here reflect the twisted the world they inhabit. (* indicate this monster might be cut if scope becomes too much to manage)
Spoiler:
ALLIES

With most of the original inhabitants consumed, corrupted, or slain, the few elite guards have placed themselves within the most secure and remote stasis vaults, patiently awaiting for another to lead them into battle.
Spoiler:

ITEMS & POWERUPS

Several new powerful artifacts have been added to give you powers on par with the demons you'll be facing down.
Spoiler:
===========================================================================================================================
NOTICE: The assets posted here are NOT open for public use until the final product is delivered, unless stated otherwise.
Last edited by Amuscaria on Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:50 pm, edited 73 times in total.
SpaceyStrife

Re: Hell-Forged - Version 2.00 (Announcement)

Post by SpaceyStrife »

Incredibly hyped for this! I loved the gorgeous sprite work in the first episode and that you made its assets available for public use, and I can't wait to see what creativity stems from this next episode.

In terms of level design, something I'd like to see this time around is better and more frequent use of powerups throughout the maps. The Doom and Annihilator spheres in Episode 1 and their effect on my arsenal was super fun and added a whole new layer of depth to slaughtermap situations, but they were rare pickups and I can only think of two places where I was able to use them effectively. Chrono Sphere is a similar case but I only ever found one of those, and it was in the ultra secret powerup carousel in the final map before facing the Hellsmith where choosing another sphere is generally a much better choice. With even more stuff in the works for Episode 2, there's so many cool gimmicks that levels can be based around this time, and it's something I hope can not only elevate Episode 2 to new heights but encourage map makers to try building their own Hellforged wads in the future.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

SpaceyStrife wrote:...more frequent use of powerups throughout the maps.
Oh, you're gonna need it. :twisted:
Last edited by Amuscaria on Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leglock
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Leglock »

I will get on the hype train here. I played HF a couple of years ago and I enjoyed it. I found come visual glitches in an arena near the end of a level with elevators (can't rembember which).

As time goes on I have less time to play, but this project, and few others keep me peepping into the forum :eyes:
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Leglock wrote:I will get on the hype train here. I played HF a couple of years ago and I enjoyed it. I found come visual glitches in an arena near the end of a level with elevators (can't rembember which).
Were you using GZDoom in open GL/hardware render mode? The last few levels have linked portals that won't work unless you're in Open GL due to some software rendering limitation. If GZDoom is too taxing on your PC, try LZDoom. Version 1.10 will not work without Open GL due to more use of portals.
Leglock

Post by Leglock »

Amuscaria wrote:
Leglock wrote:I will get on the hype train here. I played HF a couple of years ago and I enjoyed it. I found come visual glitches in an arena near the end of a level with elevators (can't rembember which).
Were you using GZDoom in open GL/hardware render mode? The last few levels have linked portals that won't work unless you're in Open GL due to some software rendering limitation. If GZDoom is too taxing on your PC, try LZDoom. Version 1.10 will not work without Open GL due to more use of portals.
I use Vulkan indeed, but I may try OpenGL for instance. But I will wait until the release of the HF 2.0.

Do you suggest to use GL in the new version too?
Leglock

Post by Leglock »

Amuscaria wrote:
Also, don't quote me on this, but I am almost sure that I finished the mod with no issue other than the previously mentioned. Again, there are mods that I can't finish doe to time restrains so there might be a chance that I dind't finish HF.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

I'm not sure if there is a difference in what Vulkan can render vs Open GL, but anything other than Software mode should have no problem since it doesn't have the portal limitations. I'll need to see a screenshot regarding what you mean.
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

Ah shit, here we go!
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

Yeah!!!
Leglock

Post by Leglock »

Amuscaria wrote:I'm not sure if there is a difference in what Vulkan can render vs Open GL, but anything other than Software mode should have no problem since it doesn't have the portal limitations. I'll need to see a screenshot regarding what you mean.
I can't remember which version of Gzdoom I was running back then, maybe 4.3.3? Not sure. I think I can try to get some screenshots if I get the cheat to select that level (the one with a circular HUB/arena with a bunch of elevators).

I will try on the newest GZdoom version, if it was corrected I will try to go backwards.
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Could you make a gameplay mod version of this when you get the chance?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Bobby wrote:Could you make a gameplay mod version of this when you get the chance?
You may be more interested in the Eriguns mods.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Bobby wrote:Could you make a gameplay mod version of this when you get the chance?
That's not going to happen until the mod is done. I have enough on my plate with just the normal TC as it is.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

well this is a really exciting development!

will you be posting your spritesheets as you complete them like you did with DE and HF1?
that was rather fun to watch the resources grow and grow with the project. always nice to see new and beautifully rendered spritework in your lovely style!

good luck with this. hope it doesnt burn you out too much...

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”