You Fix It! - RC1 Out! But not the end!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: You Fix It! - E1M9 and beyond maybe...?

Postby Doomguy914 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:23 pm

This video had so many snags. Corel even ran into the random error where it stretches the duration of every overlay. :x
But I still got it uploaded in one day so I guess that's alright. :?

Doomguy914

Postby Vostyok » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:34 am

Files downloaded. Initial recce of layout, already noticed some areas for improvement and consistency.

Time as of this moment for commencement. Will message again when done.
Vostyok
I'm living in a cardboard box

Discord: Vostyok#3164

Postby Vostyok » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:50 am

First day of progress, overall I'm happy with the layout of my predecessors. Interesting mix of new areas under and old look. Reminds me of watching a directors cut. Thinking of mixing encounters up a little and expanding some of the areas for a grand finale.

Thoughts on custom textures? All will be hand drawn. Perhaps some new sprites if I have time.
Vostyok

Postby kevansevans » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:53 am

Vostyok wrote:Thoughts on custom textures? All will be hand drawn. Perhaps some new sprites if I have time.

Totally cool as long as they actually get used or you intend on making a batch set for potential future mappers, but after the map set is finalized, I intend to go through and purge unused assets.
kevansevans
Disciple of The Great God Imp
Spotlight Team

Github ID: kevansevans
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Vostyok » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:05 pm

Finishing off map, should be available for download in a couple of hours.

I'm absolutely new to github though, so might have to palm off a .zip so someone more competent can upload it without breaking everything.

Mostly cosmetic changes, but have worked to make things more interesting for those who have managed to survive this far.

Also, Doomguy914's art inspired me, and I was bored:
Spoiler:
Vostyok

Postby Rachael » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:20 pm

I doubt anyone has a problem with you uploading the fixed version in Zip forum. :) I'll even make a pull request on your behalf if you want.
Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)

Postby Vostyok » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:24 pm

Cool thank you.

Will drop here when done
Vostyok

Postby kevansevans » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:27 pm

Vostyok wrote:Also, Doomguy914's art inspired me, and I was bored:
Spoiler:

Yo I love it, can I use this for the titlescreen?
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Postby Vostyok » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:31 pm

Dew it
Vostyok

Postby Vostyok » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:21 pm

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd Done!

Overall, have tried to focus more on the looks and encounters rather than sweeping changes to the layout. This has been really fun to work on. The layout is really interesting and I hope I can spring some surprises on you guys :twisted: Hopefully everything in there is suitable. New sky tex, new titlepic, and a little Aliens inspired "helmet-cam" monitor have been added. Feel free to toss, keep, or reuse in any projects you see fit. I would like to do a bit more with this if I had the time (some custom alpha and concept art inspired baddies to keep that 1993 feel over the Doom2 content), but feel I've done enough and don't want to steal the show.

credits for images go to Doom resources and some stock images I found of Romero, his car, and Mars.

Many thanks to whoever handles the pull.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/3kecdezvw3lpcp5/YouFixIt.zip/file
Vostyok

Postby Rachael » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:23 pm

Uploading the pull request now thank you. :)
Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)

Postby kevansevans » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:42 pm

Vostyok wrote:Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd Done!

Overall, have tried to focus more on the looks and encounters rather than sweeping changes to the layout. This has been really fun to work on. The layout is really interesting and I hope I can spring some surprises on you guys :twisted: Hopefully everything in there is suitable. New sky tex, new titlepic, and a little Aliens inspired "helmet-cam" monitor have been added. Feel free to toss, keep, or reuse in any projects you see fit. I would like to do a bit more with this if I had the time (some custom alpha and concept art inspired baddies to keep that 1993 feel over the Doom2 content), but feel I've done enough and don't want to steal the show.

credits for images go to Doom resources and some stock images I found of Romero, his car, and Mars.

Many thanks to whoever handles the pull.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/3kecdezvw3lpcp5/YouFixIt.zip/file

Excellent submission my dude, just got done playing it! I have two issues, which I'm going to put under spoilers:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

==========

E1M8 has been effectively finalized! This does not necessarily have to be the end! If anyone wants to keep going, that is perfectly okay! Return participants are welcome! If after some time, no one pops up, I'll wrap this up and call it finished!
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Postby Vostyok » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:01 pm

About supplies issue: Make sure you are checking cupboards and under floorboards for any hidden tins of food or loose ammunition

Wait, no, the ammo issue is probably a force of habit from my recent works. oops. Recommend Berserking.

If this is still an issue after video runthrough, I'll consider adding a few boxes of ammo here and there.
Spoiler:

Also, do not recommend playing through all 8 maps in one sitting. The feeling of deja vu is... very disconcerting, heh.
Vostyok

Postby Dewzanity » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:12 pm

kevansevans wrote:This does not necessarily have to be the end! If anyone wants to keep going, that is perfectly okay! Return participants are welcome!

I've thought about what a Go 2 It version for E1M9 might look like, I'd like to give it a try myself.
Dewzanity
An archvile on a rollercoaster. WEEHEEHEEE!

Discord: Dewzan#9404

Postby kevansevans » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:18 pm

Dewzanity wrote:
kevansevans wrote:This does not necessarily have to be the end! If anyone wants to keep going, that is perfectly okay! Return participants are welcome!

I've thought about what a Go 2 It version for E1M9 might look like, I'd like to give it a try myself.

I don't necessarily want to end it here. If more people want to hop on board and give it an honest map, I want to offer them that chance. I want the secret GO2IT map to be the send off, so whoever is last, that's the map I want it based on. I want to give it some time.

If it comes that no one else wants to hop aboard, we'll see what we can do. Vostyok will need to integrate a secret exit. If this is not something he wants to do, I would prefer someone to make a normal E1M9, add the secret exist to that make, and then make E1M10 it.

==========

With that said, I am happy to announce that this is a great point to show off RC1! Since 8 maps is enough for an episode, minus the secret map of course, I would love to see people play the experience in full and tell us what they think!

https://github.com/kevansevans/You-Fix- ... es/tag/RC1
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

PreviousNext

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects