You Fix It! - RC2.1 out!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: You Fix It! - RC1 Out! But not the end!

Postby kevansevans » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:07 pm

This is looking great so far!

And yeah, perfectly fine to take your time on this, there was no way this would get done in 3 days. Just keep us updated so we know you're still working on it!
kevansevans
Disciple of The Great God Imp
Spotlight Team

Github ID: kevansevans
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Dewzanity » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:52 am

Alrighty gamers! I am going to release a "not final" version of the secret E1M1/Go 2 it level. It can be accessed by this link : https://www.mediafire.com/file/fjfbirjb ... J.wad/file

This will not be the final version of the map, because I first want to get feedback from everyone else on any little details I can improve on. Even if it's something really nit picky, like "Hey, this megasphere is in a place where I always pick it up because it's in the center of the room!" (I hate it when mappers leave big powerups in a place where you're bound to waste them)

I must say that some areas I'm not quite satisfied with, and I think it's because some areas are a bit too cramped for a Go 2 It type level, and more slaughtery levels work better with more open areas. Mainly the areas south east from the center outside area where the blue armor originally was were difficult to work with. I also couldn't really make those areas bigger because they were surrounded by other areas.

Fortunately, the map has less than a thousand monsters, I'm not that crazy. Difficulty settings exist, and it mostly changes the hardest fights besides the "Plutonia Room". I would recommend playing on ITYTD or HNTR for a blind playthrough if you don't want to die. HMP and UV will make the tough fights even tougher, but if you're REALLY crazy, you can turn on coop monsters and thank me later.

Map length is also at least 1 hour. Good luck!
Dewzanity
Beyond the storm lies an eternal redemption

Discord: Dewzan#9404

Postby kevansevans » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:41 am

Hecking. Bravo.

Hecking BRAVO.

This was far wilder than anything I was thinking of, I am having difficulties finding words to describe how impressed I am with this. Just so delightfully mean and playful. It's 2am as I type this, and I did not have the energy to beat this legit (wouldn't be able to even if I was well rested), but I did give it my best shot and was pretty close to the end doing it legit on UV after several thousand deaths and trying over and over. It's amazing how every single change accumulated and cascaded into this final map.

problems I found:

Spoiler:

Will poke and prod at this more when I have more time.
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Postby FishyClockwork » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:35 pm

So, obviously Dewzanity tried to emulate what made Plutonia's MAP32 Plutonia's MAP32, but I think they went overboard with it. Too many archviles. Too many chaingunners. Not a fan of the "Plutonia Room".

Also there's a problem with the archvile maze exit teleport line (when you pick up the yellow skull). The exit teleport line isn't marked as repeatable yet the teleport into the maze is repeatable. Meaning that after getting the key and going back inside the maze (to perhaps finish off any living archviles) makes the player stuck.
FishyClockwork

Postby Dewzanity » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:15 am

Perhaps I could agree that the secret map is definitely more chaotic than Go 2 it. Then again, there are other Go 2 it variants that are also a lot more chaotic, like with PRCP's "Have @ It", there's around 750 monsters, with roughly the same amount of cyberdemons and archviles. Go 2 it itself has an area with 5 or 6 cyberdemons at once. Admittedly, sometimes I can't resist going crazy with making levels huge and chaotic.

This gives me an idea though, what if I modified the difficulty settings so that UV is what it currently is, but HMP is a lot less, and ITYTD is even less to the point of being as chaotic as the orginal Go 2 it? This way, it would appeal more towards players who dislike slaughter type maps, and well, would actually be a huge difference from UV, where players run into a lot less archviles, cyberdemons, and revenants.
Dewzanity

Postby Dewzanity » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:16 pm

Uploading an updated version of the secret level which fixes beginning infighting, the "Hunted" area, and a few other things. Also features updated difficulty settings, to make ITYTD, HNTR, and HMP a bit easier, and less slaughtery, Plutonia Room included. If there's no other suggestions, this can be the official secret level.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/fjfbirjb ... J.wad/file
Dewzanity

Postby kevansevans » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:20 pm

I think the entry is perfectly fine as is, but would appreciate more feedback though. We don't want this to be too un-fun for our players.
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Re: You Fix It! - RC2

Postby kevansevans » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:15 pm

https://github.com/kevansevans/You-Fix- ... es/tag/RC2

Release candidate two! Secret map and fixes yay!

=====

So yes, this is the end of E1M1 and having it "fixed". This is a tremendous work we've all put together, I did not think we'd even see it through. Thank you to everyone who participated in this, I can not over state how appreciative I am you helped me see this through to this end, it was a roller coaster of a ride seeing what came into my hands and I hope everyone else with an eye on this project felt the same.

The popularity of this has convinced me that more maps should be made and "fixed", however I am not announcing the start of the next episode just yet. A lot has happened since this project was started, and a lot of thought needs to be put into what the next map will be. So keep an eye out, and I hope to see everyone again.

Let us know how we did!
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Re: You Fix It! - RC2 out! Secret map added!

Postby Vostyok » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:15 am

That last map was amazing. Lol. Seeing the old familiar map turn slowly into a full hellscape was such a mindscrew, but it was an exciting feeling and I hope we do more.
Now all we need is someone to send a copy to Romero himself. I wonder if he finds our alterations an improvement heh
Vostyok
Picture by RetroMuffin34 <3

Discord: Vostyok#3164

Re: You Fix It! - RC2.1 out!

Postby kevansevans » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:51 am

Quick fix update! Found a missing texture in a playthrough and got that fixed, this update isn't critical so not absolutely critical to update, but it's a pretty glaring flaw when you get to it:

https://github.com/kevansevans/You-Fix- ... /tag/RC2.1
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Previous

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects