You Fix It! - RC2.1 out!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
kevansevans
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: You Fix It! - RC1 Out! But not the end!

Post by kevansevans »

This is looking great so far!

And yeah, perfectly fine to take your time on this, there was no way this would get done in 3 days. Just keep us updated so we know you're still working on it!
Dewzanity
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by Dewzanity »

Alrighty gamers! I am going to release a "not final" version of the secret E1M1/Go 2 it level. It can be accessed by this link : https://www.mediafire.com/file/fjfbirjb ... J.wad/file

This will not be the final version of the map, because I first want to get feedback from everyone else on any little details I can improve on. Even if it's something really nit picky, like "Hey, this megasphere is in a place where I always pick it up because it's in the center of the room!" (I hate it when mappers leave big powerups in a place where you're bound to waste them)

I must say that some areas I'm not quite satisfied with, and I think it's because some areas are a bit too cramped for a Go 2 It type level, and more slaughtery levels work better with more open areas. Mainly the areas south east from the center outside area where the blue armor originally was were difficult to work with. I also couldn't really make those areas bigger because they were surrounded by other areas.

Fortunately, the map has less than a thousand monsters, I'm not that crazy. Difficulty settings exist, and it mostly changes the hardest fights besides the "Plutonia Room". I would recommend playing on ITYTD or HNTR for a blind playthrough if you don't want to die. HMP and UV will make the tough fights even tougher, but if you're REALLY crazy, you can turn on coop monsters and thank me later.

Map length is also at least 1 hour. Good luck!
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Post by kevansevans »

Hecking. Bravo.

Hecking BRAVO.

This was far wilder than anything I was thinking of, I am having difficulties finding words to describe how impressed I am with this. Just so delightfully mean and playful. It's 2am as I type this, and I did not have the energy to beat this legit (wouldn't be able to even if I was well rested), but I did give it my best shot and was pretty close to the end doing it legit on UV after several thousand deaths and trying over and over. It's amazing how every single change accumulated and cascaded into this final map.

problems I found:
Spoiler:
Will poke and prod at this more when I have more time.
Fishytza
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Fishytza »

So, obviously Dewzanity tried to emulate what made Plutonia's MAP32 Plutonia's MAP32, but I think they went overboard with it. Too many archviles. Too many chaingunners. Not a fan of the "Plutonia Room".

Also there's a problem with the archvile maze exit teleport line (when you pick up the yellow skull). The exit teleport line isn't marked as repeatable yet the teleport into the maze is repeatable. Meaning that after getting the key and going back inside the maze (to perhaps finish off any living archviles) makes the player stuck.
Dewzanity

Post by Dewzanity »

Perhaps I could agree that the secret map is definitely more chaotic than Go 2 it. Then again, there are other Go 2 it variants that are also a lot more chaotic, like with PRCP's "Have @ It", there's around 750 monsters, with roughly the same amount of cyberdemons and archviles. Go 2 it itself has an area with 5 or 6 cyberdemons at once. Admittedly, sometimes I can't resist going crazy with making levels huge and chaotic.

This gives me an idea though, what if I modified the difficulty settings so that UV is what it currently is, but HMP is a lot less, and ITYTD is even less to the point of being as chaotic as the orginal Go 2 it? This way, it would appeal more towards players who dislike slaughter type maps, and well, would actually be a huge difference from UV, where players run into a lot less archviles, cyberdemons, and revenants.
Dewzanity

Post by Dewzanity »

Uploading an updated version of the secret level which fixes beginning infighting, the "Hunted" area, and a few other things. Also features updated difficulty settings, to make ITYTD, HNTR, and HMP a bit easier, and less slaughtery, Plutonia Room included. If there's no other suggestions, this can be the official secret level.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/fjfbirjb ... J.wad/file
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Post by kevansevans »

I think the entry is perfectly fine as is, but would appreciate more feedback though. We don't want this to be too un-fun for our players.
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Re: You Fix It! - RC2

Post by kevansevans »

https://github.com/kevansevans/You-Fix- ... es/tag/RC2

Release candidate two! Secret map and fixes yay!

=====

So yes, this is the end of E1M1 and having it "fixed". This is a tremendous work we've all put together, I did not think we'd even see it through. Thank you to everyone who participated in this, I can not over state how appreciative I am you helped me see this through to this end, it was a roller coaster of a ride seeing what came into my hands and I hope everyone else with an eye on this project felt the same.

The popularity of this has convinced me that more maps should be made and "fixed", however I am not announcing the start of the next episode just yet. A lot has happened since this project was started, and a lot of thought needs to be put into what the next map will be. So keep an eye out, and I hope to see everyone again.

Let us know how we did!
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Re: You Fix It! - RC2 out! Secret map added!

Post by Vostyok »

That last map was amazing. Lol. Seeing the old familiar map turn slowly into a full hellscape was such a mindscrew, but it was an exciting feeling and I hope we do more.
Now all we need is someone to send a copy to Romero himself. I wonder if he finds our alterations an improvement heh
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Re: You Fix It! - RC2.1 out!

Post by kevansevans »

Quick fix update! Found a missing texture in a playthrough and got that fixed, this update isn't critical so not absolutely critical to update, but it's a pretty glaring flaw when you get to it:

https://github.com/kevansevans/You-Fix- ... /tag/RC2.1
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

I suppose this isn't exactly new but it is the newest thing I have played through, and while I like the concept, and it is certainly done well, I don't see the point of it, considering that mild-to-screwy edits of the original game's levels are nearly as old as the game itself, community-made updated versions of episode 1 in particular have been done before through this very forum. Additionally it is annoying to deal with fundamentally the same level over and over, especially one I have seen before. And with such an annoying lift! With an invisible trigger and run across a zig-zag bridge in it. An optional lift, but it felt improper to not check EVERY bit of something like this. I appreciate that somebody finally fixed THAT, but I feel like an idiot for playing as much of this as I did. I definitely wouldn't if another level got this treatment in the future. I might skip to the last map to see how far the deal went and reduce the level of redundancy. Or second to last, I suppose, since Hang-'m really should have been in a separate wad, as it targets a totally different skill level and goes on seemingly as long as every other stage combined. Admittedly I couldn't figure out how to reach stage 18/2 except by warping there, but then even that made me wonder, why keep the final step of the logical progression a secret? So much of the motivation here doesn't make sense to me.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

bimshwel wrote:[...] I don't see the point of it [...] So much of the motivation here doesn't make sense to me.
If having fun isn't a point of a project, then what is?

That's what this was all about. E1M1 suddenly becomes a map that has a lot of authors, each contributing to the final product which you see at the end of the series. And along the way, you can see how the level changes and evolves, as it changes from one author to the next. The real interest there, is watching exactly that slow change take effect over time.

And in seeing that, it gives you lots of ideas about how E1M1 might have evolved over time before it was ever even released. Maybe there wasn't always that outdoor area. Maybe that one secret at the end of the level got added in at the last minute. Maybe there were more rooms originally but they got cut. Etc. You don't actually know any of that but it piques your curiosity.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

Indeed I had not considered the possibility that this was more fun to make and or think about than for someone outside of the process to play it afterward. Even so e1m1 is probably the most speculated upon doom level, barring map07, possibly, even if I didn't speculate on that all at once.
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Post by kevansevans »

I picked E1M1 because it was the cliché option.

When I conceived this idea, I had very little faith it would even get half way done, let alone over shooting the planned goal. In order to make sure my idea of “fixing” maps was conveyed correctly, I had to settle on a map anyone on this forum can navigate without even thinking about it. This made E1M1 the safe option for me to kick things off. People have sped ran that map quicker than it’s taken you to read this post. Everyone has an opinion on E1M1 and can look at it with a far more critical lens than arguably any other map in the game.

Had I gone with a more “debatably in need of fixing” map, this would have been a detrimental start to the project, as the more complicated the map gets, the more pressure there is on the mapper to perform, as there was a lot more for them to go through and consider, plus risked alienating their knowledge of the maps.

E1M1 was the safe option for this experiment, and it worked well.
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Wivicer »

I'm of the mind that it's just plain fun to see what everyone does when given the same tools and starting point. Lord knows I enjoyed making my contribution.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”