Snap the Sentinel (v2.4) ~ EPISODE 1

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TehRealSalt
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Snap the Sentinel (v2.4) ~ EPISODE 1

Post by TehRealSalt »

Me and my friends have made a full standalone IWAD as an entry for 7DFPS, a game jam. I'm extremely proud of what we created together!
We now want to keep it going and extend the game into a full set of 5 episodes.

The current release contains 8 full levels + 2 boss stages, different level routes for Normal & Hard, really cool FM synth music, even full coop & deathmatch support if you're willing to put up with GZDoom's netcode. All assets were made from scratch!

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Credits:
TehRealSalt: Programming, graphics, game design, level design, character design
SeventhSentinel: Music, sound effects, level design, voice acting
Jeck Jims: 3D models & animation
VelocitOni: Character design, graphics, voice acting
Chengi: Logo design, graphics

Download + more info: https://tehrealsalt.itch.io/snap-the-sentinel
Requires latest GZDoom. I recommend OpenGL or Vulkan, but GLES and SoftPoly both work well enough to play.
Last edited by TehRealSalt on Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:16 pm, edited 8 times in total.
spoone

Re: Snap the Sentinel - Short new IWAD for 7DFPS

Post by spoone »

I really like this so far. It feels different enough from Doom which I like. May I ask why only 4 levels? Do you plan to make more as like a DLC, or was 4 always going to be the max?
TehRealSalt

Post by TehRealSalt »

It was made under time constraints for a game jam.

Everyone seems interested in doing more, so we've been thinking of making it much longer down the road, we'll see :)
TehRealSalt

Post by TehRealSalt »

I've updated the first post with a trailer.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Astounding, Amazing, Awesome. This is probably the best TC, or very own standalone Game after Memoirs of Magic and the graphics are a top notch. I do love the character design as well. I'll play this very soon!

EDIT: So i beat the game and hoooooh my i absolutely love it. The Graphics and sound effects are all like 16 bit and i do love the 3D model twist to it because it fits so well with the game. Kudos for the awesome work!
Spoiler: Mind if i share some feedback as well?
Like i said, this game has a lot of potential. The gameplay was nice, has own aesthetics and the maps even. If you could keep working on this in 2021, the Cacoward will be yours truly! In the meantime, stay cool. :cool:
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Have to say its real impressive to see a new game coming up. It looks pretty spectactular aswell. Congrats!
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

Pretty cool little game looks great. The only flaw I see in the first level the player has no clue that they need to click the wall to open a secret door to get the key to start the level. Other than that it was fun.

morb
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by morb »

Definitely well executed; solid art, sounds, music, and maps.

A lot more polished than a lot of stuff that isn't developed under a time constraint! :)
TehRealSalt

Post by TehRealSalt »

Version 1.1 has been released! Most notable changes are presentation polish, multiplayer polish, Level 4 polish, and the addition of a save point system.
Full changelog is here: https://tehrealsalt.itch.io/snap-the-se ... ore-polish
Rex705 wrote:The only flaw I see in the first level the player has no clue that they need to click the wall to open a secret door to get the key to start the level. Other than that it was fun.
Completely intentional; you're on Hard mode. :wink:
It's a standard door on Normal, it turns into a red door for Hard to introduce the player to the idea that there'll be extremely goofy twists on that difficulty.
TehRealSalt

Re: Snap the Sentinel (v1.1) - Short new IWAD for 7DFPS

Post by TehRealSalt »

Yet another patch, v1.2, this one is much smaller. Adds drop shadows under lots of objects, and several bug-fixes. Buuut the real reason for this patch was to lock off Hard Mode until you beat the game, because, after watching several first impressions, I don't think it's obvious enough that it's a remixed campaign that assumes familiarity with Normal, rather than Ultra-Violence-style "more monsters". Ah well. :p

Full changelog: https://tehrealsalt.itch.io/snap-the-se ... 12-release
DevilBlackDeath

Post by DevilBlackDeath »

TehRealSalt wrote:It was made under time constraints for a game jam.

Everyone seems interested in doing more, so we've been thinking of making it much longer down the road, we'll see :)
I'll throw my enthusiasm in there as well then ;) If you do plan on making more levels, they'll be welcome and enjoyed ! Good job :)
TehRealSalt

Re: Snap the Sentinel (v1.2) - Short new IWAD for 7DFPS

Post by TehRealSalt »

Mostly this year I've been focusing my other project, but I started getting interest in Snap development again, so we'll be fleshing out Snap's 7DFPS build further, and turning it into a fully featured "shareware" episode. Pretty much all of the content in the 7DFPS build will be doubled, and all of the existing content will be polished up.

What's currently being done for the update:
  • 3 new weapon types
  • 2 new enemy types
  • 5 more levels, with one of them being a new mini-boss. Added to the existing level total, the full episode will contain 10 stages.
  • Fleshed out story (some simplistic but interactive in-game cutscenes)
  • More polish on the existing levels (Level 4 will be hit with a 2nd pass)
  • Rebalanced existing enemies & mechanics (Hitlag, shoot & kick at the same time, less damage-spongey enemies)
  • Complete rework of the Very Rude difficulty (no more basic fast monster speed value changes, instead adds completely new enemy behaviors)
  • Even more jams by Sev
  • New multiplayer modes
A gallery of a few screenshots of the update's content (albeit slightly out of date): https://imgur.com/a/kJgFmUr

(Technical issues made this video come out a bit blurry. Sorry! I've already fixed the issue for next time.)

More recently is the new Invasion mode, a little pet project of mine. This will be a set of Coop specific stages, in which you will defend a core from an onslaught of Ocean's robots. Each stage will have 2 separate missions, one Normal and one Hard. Additionally, some robots may come with a "modifier", as indicated by special particles on them, which adjusts their properties. The mode is designed primarily for 2 players, but the difficulty scales up to accommodate all 8.

You might also notice a few new things in this video. The most obvious from the start is the jumbotron at the bottom of the screen. This is to both add some more information to the screen, and to make the existing messages prettier and less janky.

Additionally, there's also a new mechanic: the Septacrash. When the 7-Star meter on your HUD is full, you'll be able to unleash a powerful blast that demolishes everything around you. It's slow to charge, so you'll want to be careful to not waste it.
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

Just played through, and it was great fun! Excited you're going to be refining and expanding Snap. You really hit on something good, here.
Xim

Post by Xim »

I only played a few levels but I actually really like it so far. The save points are spaced so well that it's actually nice to not have to worry about saving. I love how simple it is, and how it's actually NOT a platformer/jumper. Games like this and Shrine are a great inspiration to making original retro FPS games.
TehRealSalt

Post by TehRealSalt »

In the next update, Versus mode will be undergoing a lot of tweaks to make it more fun. To go into lots of detail (for da nerds):
Spoiler:
As for actual single-player progress, it's going well. Never really sure how much to show off because I like keeping campaign stuff un-spoiled (that's why my detailed updates tend to be multiplayer :p). But all of the remaining stages are starting to come together so I think I'll meet my self-imposed deadline ... really cannot wait to get it into peoples' hands. :)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”