Snap the Sentinel (v1.2) - Short new IWAD for 7DFPS

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Snap the Sentinel (v1.2) - Short new IWAD for 7DFPS

Postby TehRealSalt » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:59 am

Me and my friends have made a full standalone IWAD as an entry for 7DFPS, a game jam. I'm extremely proud of what we created together!

Contains 4 full levels plus a boss stage, different level routes for Normal & Hard, really cool FM synth music, even full coop & deathmatch support if you're willing to put up with GZDoom's netcode. All assets were made from scratch!

Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Credits:
TehRealSalt: Programming, graphics, game design, level design, character design
SeventhSentinel: Music, sound effects, level design, voice acting
Jeck Jims: 3D models & animation
VelocitOni: Character design, graphics, voice acting
Chengi: Logo design, graphics

Download + more info: https://tehrealsalt.itch.io/snap-the-sentinel

Requires latest GZDoom, and a rendering mode capable of displaying 3D models.
May or may not work on LZDoom, I haven't tested it.
Last edited by TehRealSalt on Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
TehRealSalt
ヽ(◕ᴥ◕)ノ

Discord: TehRealSalt#6754

Re: Snap the Sentinel - Short new IWAD for 7DFPS

Postby spoone » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:56 am

I really like this so far. It feels different enough from Doom which I like. May I ask why only 4 levels? Do you plan to make more as like a DLC, or was 4 always going to be the max?
spoone

Postby TehRealSalt » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:04 am

It was made under time constraints for a game jam.

Everyone seems interested in doing more, so we've been thinking of making it much longer down the road, we'll see :)
TehRealSalt
ヽ(◕ᴥ◕)ノ

Postby TehRealSalt » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:53 pm

I've updated the first post with a trailer.
TehRealSalt
ヽ(◕ᴥ◕)ノ

Postby Captain J » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:42 am

Astounding, Amazing, Awesome. This is probably the best TC, or very own standalone Game after Memoirs of Magic and the graphics are a top notch. I do love the character design as well. I'll play this very soon!

EDIT: So i beat the game and hoooooh my i absolutely love it. The Graphics and sound effects are all like 16 bit and i do love the 3D model twist to it because it fits so well with the game. Kudos for the awesome work!
Spoiler: "Mind if i share some feedback as well?"
Like i said, this game has a lot of potential. The gameplay was nice, has own aesthetics and the maps even. If you could keep working on this in 2021, the Cacoward will be yours truly! In the meantime, stay cool. :cool:
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Redneckerz » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:23 am

Have to say its real impressive to see a new game coming up. It looks pretty spectactular aswell. Congrats!
Redneckerz
To it's ports i may have seen
Spotlight Team

Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby Rex705 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:23 am

Pretty cool little game looks great. The only flaw I see in the first level the player has no clue that they need to click the wall to open a secret door to get the key to start the level. Other than that it was fun.

Rex705

Discord: Rex705
Twitch ID: Rex705

Postby morb » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:08 pm

Definitely well executed; solid art, sounds, music, and maps.

A lot more polished than a lot of stuff that isn't developed under a time constraint! :)
morb

Github ID: m0rb
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: Yes (Using Development/Testing Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby TehRealSalt » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:07 pm

Version 1.1 has been released! Most notable changes are presentation polish, multiplayer polish, Level 4 polish, and the addition of a save point system.
Full changelog is here: https://tehrealsalt.itch.io/snap-the-sentinel/devlog/207870/v11-some-more-polish

Rex705 wrote:The only flaw I see in the first level the player has no clue that they need to click the wall to open a secret door to get the key to start the level. Other than that it was fun.

Completely intentional; you're on Hard mode. :wink:
It's a standard door on Normal, it turns into a red door for Hard to introduce the player to the idea that there'll be extremely goofy twists on that difficulty.
TehRealSalt
ヽ(◕ᴥ◕)ノ

Re: Snap the Sentinel (v1.1) - Short new IWAD for 7DFPS

Postby TehRealSalt » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:07 am

Yet another patch, v1.2, this one is much smaller. Adds drop shadows under lots of objects, and several bug-fixes. Buuut the real reason for this patch was to lock off Hard Mode until you beat the game, because, after watching several first impressions, I don't think it's obvious enough that it's a remixed campaign that assumes familiarity with Normal, rather than Ultra-Violence-style "more monsters". Ah well. :p

Full changelog: https://tehrealsalt.itch.io/snap-the-sentinel/devlog/208753/v12-release
TehRealSalt
ヽ(◕ᴥ◕)ノ

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects