[GZDoom 4.2.3+] Smashing Pumpkins in a Dark Wonderland

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

[GZDoom 4.2.3+] Smashing Pumpkins in a Dark Wonderland

Postby KUBA18i » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:11 am

Download from the idgames archive: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/s-u/spiadw

This is my attempt at expanding my mapping abilities and making use of the GZDoom advanced features. Not unlike Chex Quest or Super 3D Noah's Ark, it's supposed to be a Total Conversion for Doom that lacks gore, blood or family unfriendly violence, yet retains all the fun and action. The plot revolves around a young girl getting lost in a toy shop during Halloween and finding a strange portal in the storage room. She gets transported into a bizarre magical realm, and her goal is to return home.

Primary source of inspiration was a game called Jack in the Dark. But you will probably notice influence from other games as well.
Includes one level, new graphics, sounds, music and enemies. Intended for use with Doom 2 and the GZDoom source port.
Given that the mod mostly uses original assets, I totally endorse on playing this with Freedoom: Phase 2!
Instructions are as follows:
Spoiler:

Special thanks to Willy W. and Karma for assistance with scripting, and of course, Ukiro for creating the OTEX texture pack.
I forgot to credit the music, so I will post it here:
Spoiler:

Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Also shared on DoomWorld: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/116942-gzdoom-423-total-conversion-for-doom-ii-smashing-pumpkins-in-a-dark-wonderland/
KUBA18i

Discord: KUBA18i#6130
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [GZDoom 4.2.3+] Smashing Pumpkins in a Dark Wonderland

Postby Toyoch » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:38 am

Looks cute enough to try it out, but I found that the Rifle cannot be cycled to other weapons with "prev/next weapon", and if I use number keys to switch to either Wand or Candy Cane, I can't switch back to Rifle.

Would you please check on that?

Running on the latest GZDoom 4.5 build.
Toyoch

Postby KUBA18i » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:39 pm

Just checked in GZDoom 4.2.3 and g4.5pre-144-g8a4b68688. Works fine on my end in both. Just remember that by default in GZDoom, you cannot switch to a weapon if you don't have ammo for it.
KUBA18i

Discord: KUBA18i#6130
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Toyoch » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:04 pm

KUBA18i wrote:Just checked in GZDoom 4.2.3 and g4.5pre-144-g8a4b68688. Works fine on my end in both. Just remember that by default in GZDoom, you cannot switch to a weapon if you don't have ammo for it.

Found out the issue might be with the rifle dropped by toy soldiers... as:
- If I get the rifle from soldiers, the gun didn't appear on the HUD Weapons list, I can't switch it back. Had 70+ ammo.
- If I use IDFA and get all weapons, the gun appears on HUD and I can switch back and forth.

Also the weapon autoswitched to rifle(provided I picked up one from soldiers and have ammo) when I run out of Wand and Slingshot ammo.

Hope this helps track down the issue.

EDIT : I found out a stupid mistake with the shortcut to boot the TC - I was recycling the old shortcut for other mods/TC and I forgot to remove all the "-file" parameters.
Removing the unnecessary ones fixed the issue. Sorry for the trouble!
Toyoch

Postby Kellion » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:21 pm

Decided to give a project a try since I love this kind of bizarro/pseudo fantasy worlds, and I'm pretty pleased with the result. Specially love with was done with mirrors(that mirror area was quite uniquely challenging) and portals (Great work with recreating the looping world effect from Yume Nikki in the White Desert area). Although I'd appreciate some more art consistency, like how the Main Character has 3 different 'appearances', the one in the face cam, the gloved doom guy hands holding the rifle and the clay model seen in mirrors.

Overall its a cute short experience. I also enjoyed the fact that I had to return to explore the various worlds after pressing switches. I wished more would change when that happened, but it still encouraged exploration which is nice. Plus the worlds are small enough that if there were changes they were easily spotted.

Solid work, looking forward to seeing more.

Some additional notes on performance issues:
  • In later GZDOOM versions like 4.5 or possibly later. The mirror area is downright unplayable even on high end hardware, it can be however 'tweaked' to be playable with the following commands:
  • gl_mirrors (false/true) (r_drawmirrors no longer works. gl_mirrors now disables the mirror rendering entirely)
  • r_mirror_recursions (by default 4) (How many times a mirror is reflected when up against another mirror. The default of 4 causes unplayable lag, 3 or 2 will greatly increase FPS while preserving the mirror effect to an extent. In addition Vulkan render API mode also helps fps a bit.)
Kellion

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects