DOOM to Heretic conversion pack and resource pack [V 1.25]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: DOOM to Heretic conversion pack and resource pack [V 1.2

Postby MObreck » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:18 pm

irukanjji wrote:For me it works very well, i try mapsofchaos, and its awesome, only have warnings when loading, apparently some problems with brightmaps, see my log

That's because you don't have GZDoom's brightmap pk3 enabled. If you don't want to use brightmaps just ignore those warnings. They are harmless.

Anyone know of a script function that will tell GZDoom not to display those warnings if the files are not found?

The "TX_START, TX_END" warnings where unavoidable for me. I added them so certain map editors would acknowledge the other files in that folder as textures. But it produces that warning in game since the engine wants to try to read them as textures and gets confused. Also harmless.

Msx_Stark5312 wrote:Hi, why is this Wad file not working for me ? I tried putting it on Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Heretic. An error appears in the form of missing textures. P.S.: I would be sincerely grateful if you explain everything to me and show me how to fix this error. P.p.s: Link to Screensots

You've set your screenshots to private. I am not allowed to view them.
MObreck

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby irukanjji » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:22 pm

Ok, MObrek, thanks for your reply
irukanjji

Postby Saldemesa » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:54 pm

Hi, I just have played E1M1 on Thou art a smite-meister. It was much fun. I like the monsters and the textures. I found myself sometimes ''lost'' in the good old maps.

I found some 'error'' or It's my configuration?
In E1M4 Command Control: When you are in the little mazey section looking for the yellow key, there is a group of 3 Sabreclaw stuck in place
(coordinates (-993,-105,128)) also there's another Sabreclaw stuck at (-1417,-41,128) not far from the other ones. I don't know how to post images :(

Some Thoughts:
Too many flechettes on E1M7 Computer Station. There are flechettes all over the place, I count in a glance forty. They are too powerful. I was throwing bottles all the time.

Baron/Hell knight companion:
Awesome! He rip n tear as he knows! not like the Maulotaur that almost kills me with his fire proyectile.

Can you implement brightmaps sprites and or textures? This proyect needs a cool name. :)

Tomorrow I will continue through the episodes. Thanks MObrek.
Saldemesa

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.8 or later

Postby Msx_Stark5312 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:31 am

wildweasel wrote:I'm glad you reported your issue, but you need to Share your screenshots and set them to be visible to "Anybody with a link," otherwise nobody can see them.

Opened
Msx_Stark5312

Postby MObreck » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:52 am

Msx_Stark5312 wrote:
wildweasel wrote:I'm glad you reported your issue, but you need to Share your screenshots and set them to be visible to "Anybody with a link," otherwise nobody can see them.

Opened

You are running it through DOOM2. You are supposed to run it through Heretic.
MObreck

Postby Msx_Stark5312 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:57 am

MObreck wrote:
Msx_Stark5312 wrote:

Opened

You are running it through DOOM2. You are supposed to run it through Heretic.

No, Heretic doesn't work for me either. Only adds new enemies (like an ice Golem) and weapons (a Large crossbow) https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Iv6Ic5oaecBpZc57ahPd8tgMwAkrGuX9?usp=sharing
Msx_Stark5312

Postby wildweasel » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:42 am

This link doesn't work either.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby MObreck » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:47 pm

Msx_Stark5312 wrote:No, Heretic doesn't work for me either. Only adds new enemies (like an ice Golem) and weapons (a Large crossbow) https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Iv6Ic5oaecBpZc57ahPd8tgMwAkrGuX9?usp=sharing

Did you include a DOOM wad for it to convert? My mod doesn't contain any levels. It simply auto-converts any DOOM stages you load into Heretic.
MObreck

Postby Msx_Stark5312 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:11 pm

Can you at least send instructions or screenshots with the correct launch (installation) of the mod ?
Msx_Stark5312

Postby MObreck » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:51 am

Saldemesa wrote:I found some 'error'' or It's my configuration?
In E1M4 Command Control: When you are in the little mazey section looking for the yellow key, there is a group of 3 Sabreclaw stuck in place
(coordinates (-993,-105,128)) also there's another Sabreclaw stuck at (-1417,-41,128) not far from the other ones. I don't know how to post images :(

Oops, didn't realize the saberclaws have a slightly taller collision box than the pinkies. That's why they are getting stuck, those places must be too short for them despite being ok for pinky demons. I added a height fix hack to them as I have with several monsters which will appear in the next update.

Saldemesa wrote:Some Thoughts:
Too many flechettes on E1M7 Computer Station. There are flechettes all over the place, I count in a glance forty. They are too powerful. I was throwing bottles all the time.

The flechettes are distributed via an automated algorithm, as one of the possible replacements for DOOM health/armor bonuses calculated by placement. Its usually pretty good at making sure a decent amount of them are placed in each level without going overboard, but like all AI based functions it was bound to have a few times were they get spam placed or are non-existent. Guess E1M7 has the perfect layout for their placement to get spammed like crazy :P
MObreck

Postby Saldemesa » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:19 pm

Today I finished Episode 2:

E1M1: I noticed some weird behavior of the Ettin, they throw some ball-proyectile and then they go melee. In my opinion they are too slow (must be that heavy armor and mace?).
E2M2: Where I am? Mummies everywhere...and those satyrs, it was tough.
E2M3: It was a breeze. A succubus infighting and run for it.
E2M4: Deimos Lab never was of my liking. Cool flooting eye texture. :)
E2M5: Here my Hell Knight servant took the lead in the beginning caos. Then I head straight to the secret exit.
E2M9: I couldn't not make infighting. I blasted through the succubi and the Mages scared to death. Again a Hell Knight servant do the job.
E2M6: The hardest one, I managed to find the torches after finding the key in the dark maze. The fake exit almost got me.
E2M7: I took the right path and had to backtrack to the left wing again. Those heavy Ettins are a pain. I found a missaligment in a wall but I should report it?
E2M8: The grand finale...the Heresiarch with some imps. (It is random?) The imps are harmless. It seems the boss has high pain chance because he was perma-stun with the fire rain (tome of power).
Overall I have a good time. Thanks MObreck. Tomorrow I'll go to E3.
Saldemesa

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.8 or later

Postby MObreck » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:39 am

Msx_Stark5312 wrote:Can you at least send instructions or screenshots with the correct launch (installation) of the mod ?

Well for example if you wanted to play DOOM2's levels you would place a copy of DOOM2.wad in your Heretic directory and use the command line:

GZDoom -file DOOM2.wad HereticMTOBase.pk3 HereticMTOToploader.wad

If asked by GZDoom you would run the game as Heretic.

Basically you load in whatever DOOM wad you want to play the levels from as well my Base pk3 and Toploader.wad. Make sure to list the DOOM wad before my files due to potential priority issues.
MObreck

Postby MObreck » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:06 pm

Version 1.25 released! It adds some bug fixes and tweaks.

It also adds lazy support for Freedoom and Final DOOM stages. All the missing textures/flats from those games have been added and converted to Heretic's palette. However I have not gone those the effort to swap them out with fantasy theme equivalents.

Sorry if that seems like a half assed effort, but keep in mind it was about a month of work handling the replacements for all of DOOM and DOOM2 textures. Very time consuming and tedious. Not something I'm in any rush to repeat for this mod. However if someone else wishes to handling converting the textures I welcome it.

But if seeing sci-fi themed textures doesn't completely destroy your sense of immersion the levels from those expansions should now be fully playable at least. No more missing or wrong palette textures unless I made any mistakes.
MObreck

Re: [WIP] DOOM to Heretic conversion pack

Postby i2van » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:58 am

MObreck wrote:
Craneo wrote:Given the project Dm2conv includes source, perhaps it could be recompiled in Free Pascal. Though given the DOS-isms in it and the inline assembler, maybe not :(

Shoot, I wouldn't even know where to begin on converting the Dm2conv source anyways. It works well enough with DosBox and making a "top loader" addon for my mod would handle anyone that just wants to do an easy mode conversion of their favorite vanilla asset DOOM/DOOM2 maps.

Hi,

I ported DM2CONV to Windows x86/x64. Would like to hear your feedback.

Thank you!
i2van

OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan Support

Re: [WIP] DOOM to Heretic conversion pack

Postby MObreck » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:19 am

i2van wrote:
MObreck wrote:
Craneo wrote:Given the project Dm2conv includes source, perhaps it could be recompiled in Free Pascal. Though given the DOS-isms in it and the inline assembler, maybe not :(

Shoot, I wouldn't even know where to begin on converting the Dm2conv source anyways. It works well enough with DosBox and making a "top loader" addon for my mod would handle anyone that just wants to do an easy mode conversion of their favorite vanilla asset DOOM/DOOM2 maps.

Hi,

I ported DM2CONV to Windows x86/x64. Would like to hear your feedback.

Thank you!

Tested it. It seems to work fully functional. Good job :wink: . I had to tell my idiot virus scanner that the file is safe, but not much you can do about that on your end.
MObreck

PreviousNext

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects