DOOM to Heretic conversion pack and resource pack [V 1.25]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: DOOM to Heretic conversion pack and resource pack [RELEA

Postby NightFright » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:54 am

MObreck wrote:[...]
HereticMTOBase.pk3 contains all the custom artwork and scripting assets. Thus it is always required, so a single file option for the toploader method is not possible. Outside of duplicating those massive amount of assets into the toploader wad, which would be redundant and just increase the odds of mistakes being made in future updates.

Fair enough.

In E2M2 of the original Doom episodes, I got some warning messages. I think it happened while some Ettins were crushed by those crushers in the SE part of the map, near the exit.

Code: Select allExpand view
invalid sound position (nan, nan, 78.000000) for actor of class MaceFX1
invalid sound velocity (nan, nan, 0.000000) for actor of class MaceFX1

Dunno if that's a map-specific problem or can be fixed via code adjustments.

Also, mapinfo name definitions for MAP03, MAP31 and MAP32 are kinda incorrect. If you define a map name, you omit the "lookup" parameter since you are not looking elsewhere for the name. So instead of
map MAP03 lookup "The Gauntlet"
map MAP31 lookup "Labyrinth of the Meen"
map MAP32 lookup "Chuck Gnorris"

it is just
map MAP03 "The Gauntlet"
map MAP31 "Labyrinth of the Meen"
map MAP32 "Chuck Gnorris"
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Postby MObreck » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:08 am

NightFright wrote:In E2M2 of the original Doom episodes, I got some warning messages. I think it happened while some Ettins were crushed by those crushers in the SE part of the map, near the exit.

invalid sound position (nan, nan, 78.000000) for actor of class MaceFX1
invalid sound velocity (nan, nan, 0.000000) for actor of class MaceFX1

Dunno if that's a map-specific problem or can be fixed via code adjustments.

Odd, MaceFX1 is a vanilla Heretic actor (the basic fire mace orbs). Not sure why they would be malfunctioning, I didn't alter any code involving their sound effects when the Ettin's hurl them.

NightFright wrote:Also, mapinfo name definitions for MAP03, MAP31 and MAP32 are kinda incorrect. If you define a map name, you omit the "lookup" parameter since you are not looking elsewhere for the name....

Fixed it, thanks for the info.
MObreck

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby NightFright » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:41 am

Great! BTW, is this also able to handle Plutonia and TNT maps? Those iwads are mostly identical to doom2.wad, they just feature a few extra textures IIRC. It might be cool to be able to play through Plutonia maps with Heretic content specifically.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Postby MObreck » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:28 am

NightFright wrote:Great! BTW, is this also able to handle Plutonia and TNT maps? Those iwads are mostly identical to doom2.wad, they just feature a few extra textures IIRC. It might be cool to be able to play through Plutonia maps with Heretic content specifically.

Unfortunately no. The problem being "a few extra textures" would be better described as "a metric ton of extra textures". I don't have the energy to try to come up with replacements for them all. At least not any time soon. Finding replacements for vanilla DOOM2's texture stock was a mountain of a challenge as it was.

Though if someone else wants to take up the task using my mod as a base reference point I would welcome it.

Anyways an updated release should be ready tomorrow. The episode structure when the toploader wad is being used will be setup like DOOM (including Episode 5 setup for SIGIL support).

Also I've added a music randomizer to the option menu. That could be very helpful for people who want to use this mod to play user maps (no constantly being subjected to E1M1/MAP01's music being most vanilla asset custom maps are placed in those level slots). The randomizer includes most of the soundtracks of Heretic, Hexen, and Hexen 2 (in midi format).
MObreck

Postby NightFright » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:43 am

Fair enough. Sigil has just one custom texture (SIGIL, for the exit - not counting the custom sky), so I guess it was fairly easy to implement. No Rest for the Living should be possible as well since it comes without any extra textures. That would also cover all the official/semi-official addons for Doom 1+2, then.

*EDIT*
After finishing the first two original Doom episodes, I gotta say: Hats off! Levels keep flowing like always, texturing looks seamless, sprites fit. Maybe it's a bit easier since enemies are not as tough, but it feels great. I will keep going through the rest of the game and then proceed to Doom 2 and Sigil. Maybe I'll wait for the patch first, though. So far it's a job well done and I don't doubt an insane amount of effort went into this. It definitely shows!
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Postby MObreck » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:10 pm

VERSION 1.1 has been released. See the notes on the front page for a list of changes.

EDIT: Updated to version 1.11 to correct a minor issue with the gas pods' hitboxes being a bit too wide compared the the explosive DOOM barrels they replace.

NightFright wrote:Fair enough. Sigil has just one custom texture (SIGIL, for the exit - not counting the custom sky), so I guess it was fairly easy to implement. No Rest for the Living should be possible as well since it comes without any extra textures. That would also cover all the official/semi-official addons for Doom 1+2, then.

*EDIT*
After finishing the first two original Doom episodes, I gotta say: Hats off! Levels keep flowing like always, texturing looks seamless, sprites fit. Maybe it's a bit easier since enemies are not as tough, but it feels great. I will keep going through the rest of the game and then proceed to Doom 2 and Sigil. Maybe I'll wait for the patch first, though. So far it's a job well done and I don't doubt an insane amount of effort went into this. It definitely shows!

I added the extra texture for SIGIL as well as support for No Rest for the Living. If its level's are detected in a PWad an episode will appear allowing the player to access it. The dummy DOOM2 episode has been tweaked in a similar matter to prevent confusion (no seeing the DOOM2 episode available only to get an error if you try to select it with no DOOM2 stages installed).
MObreck

Re: DOOM to Heretic conversion pack and resource pack [V 1.1

Postby NightFright » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:47 am

E2M8 and E3M8 use the wrong specials for bosses. You are always using lowerfloor for any boss, but in ep.2 and 3 the level is supposed to end when the boss is killed.

Just compare with Doom MAPINFO:
E1M8:
   baronspecial
   specialaction_lowerfloor

E2M8:
   cyberdemonspecial
   specialaction_exitlevel

E3M8:
   spidermastermindspecial
   specialaction_exitlevel

E4M8:
   spidermastermindspecial
   specialaction_lowerfloor

Right now you cannot finish ep.2 and 3 the way the boss specials are defined.

My suggestion is to use these specials instead:
- E2M8:
SpecialAction = "IHeresiarch",Exit_Normal

- E3M8:
   SpecialAction = "MTOMinotaurLord",Exit_Normal

Also, here is a suggestion for a better common cluster ending text:
    "Congratulations, hero!",
   "",
   "You have proven victorious once more",
   "and put an end to yet another threat",
        "to the world of the living!",
   "",
   "While you have much reason to be proud",
   "of your accomplishments, there is no",
   "time for celebrating. Evil never sleeps",
   "and restlessly attempts to cover the",
   "lands in darkness elsewhere.",
   "",
   "As a true warrior, you cannot let this",
   "stand. Firmly gripping your weapon, you",
        "head back into the fray to face the next",
        "challenge. Good luck!"

(I hope I am not trying to correct too much. I just think this is an amazing mod and therefore deserves to be working perfectly.)
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Postby MObreck » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:30 am

NightFright wrote:E2M8 and E3M8 use the wrong specials for bosses. You are always using lowerfloor for any boss, but in ep.2 and 3 the level is supposed to end when the boss is killed.

Doh! I forgetfully pasted that stage info from my personally converted versions of those maps which I tweaked to have floors lower to reveal exits. Rather than just ending outright when you kill the boss. I've corrected that and uploaded a new version.

NightFright wrote:Also, here is a suggestion for a better common cluster ending text:

The original ending text was just a joke referencing the very poorly translated ending of Ghost's and Goblins. But I'll use your version for now.

I've also moved the newest version to a more permanent home on ModDB rather than using Sendspace's free and rather temporary upload service.

There is still one major bug with the custom XLAT data I used that is causing the linedef specials in the pit with the invulnerability relic in MAP24 to work incorrectly. For now I have no idea why so just avoid collecting that item. Thus far in my playthroughs that has been the only game breaking bug left.
MObreck

Postby NightFright » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:47 am

Outstanding! In the meantime I am done with all original Doom episodes and haven't found any more problems. Will continue with Sigil now before moving on to Doom 2 and NRFTL.

*EDIT*
Regarding that MAP24 bug: If you can't find a way to fix it, you could try with ZScript's LevelPostProcessor. I don't know exactly what is wrong, but the general setup would be this:

class HereticMTO_Fixes : LevelPostProcessor
{
    protected void Apply(Name checksum, String mapname)
    {
        if (checksum == '3EFF15C64A03B36E8E47926C6DF9EF70') // MAP24 (Doom II v1.9)
        {
            < your map adjustments here >;
        }
    }
}

This would only apply the "hack" for Doom II's MAP24 (doom2.wad v1.9, I doubt anybody would still use an older version). You can do pretty much anything with LevelPostProcessor. It's a workaround, but if you don't find another way to fix it, it's a solid placeholder solution in the meantime. It could malfunction in custom maps as well, though, so it's better to find out why it is happening.

MAP24 info about affected sectors/lines:
- Sector #62 (sector with Invulnerability Sphere), tag 33
- Trigger lines: #1099-1103 (special 67 [SR Floor Up 32 Change Tex], sector tag 33)
- Sector #63 (sector with slime surrounding the sphere sector), tag 14
- Trigger line: #1098 (special 22 [W1 Floor to Higher Floor Change Tex], sector tag 14)
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Postby Renzokuken » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:18 pm

Would a 'lite' version that only replaces textures and sprites be possible? I ask because Heretical Doom fulfills a similar function of porting Heretic's weapons and enemies to Doom maps, but this conversion has an issue of overwriting Heretical Doom's pickups and monsters, regardless of load order.

Regardless, I love the choice of textures and sprites here. I'm able to generate Oblige maps and by sticking this on it looks like it was a long-lost Heretic WAD - which is great, because there really is a dearth of good map packs for that game.
Renzokuken

Postby NightFright » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:11 pm

The problem is that Heretic has a very limited set of stock textures. There are far too few to make Doom maps look good and their dimensions are also often not correct. I doubt that a 100% vanilla retexturing would even be possible. Personally I find the additional content refreshing, even though not everything completely fits (e.g. the skull bats as Lost Soul replacement look very cartoonish).
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Postby MObreck » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:09 pm

I have updated the mod to version 1.15. It adds a Weredragon variant as one of the Hell Knight replacers. It also buffs the health of several of the stronger monsters that weren't quite living up to the monsters they replaced (the Pyro Succubus[Baron] and Lesser Heresiarch[Arch-Vile])

EDIT: Fixed incorrect link as pointed out by NightFright.

Aside from taking the time to type in a proper tutorial on how to use the manual conversion method, discovering how to fix the MAP24 bug (a similar bug is in Map29), or the discovery of another serious bug I can fix I consider this to be the final update for a while. I'd actually like to start working on an indie game project I've been planning for a while. Any fans of DOS era dungeon crawlers, particularly Wizard 6 and 7 (Bane and Savant)?
Last edited by MObreck on Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MObreck

Postby NightFright » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:52 am

I was actually wondering about the hitpoints of Archvile and Baron replacements. It made the game a lot easier, especially in E1M8. Good that this balancing fix was applied.

I am currently in mid-game of Doom 2. So far no problems.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Postby MObreck » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:33 pm

NightFright wrote:I was actually wondering about the hitpoints of Archvile and Baron replacements. It made the game a lot easier, especially in E1M8. Good that this balancing fix was applied.

I am currently in mid-game of Doom 2. So far no problems.

Yeah I originally thought the more complex AI would warrant making them less tanky, but as it turns out I over did it. Still not sure if I even buffed their health enough.

EDIT: If there are any suggestions for buffs/nerfs to the new enemy AI anyone would like to offer go ahead and make them now. I will be releasing one final update with some final tweaks to them. However no requests to cut enemies/items at this time please.

I really like what I did with the Lesser Heresiarch (Archvile) AI. The spinning disk above their head is more than a decoration, its current color actually dictates what attack they will use rather than a basic RNG call.
MObreck

Postby MrRumbleRoses » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:45 pm

i've been trying to run this mod. and it just seems like it doesn't work as it should or something. like often at times either A. the enemies are invisible. or 2. things seem fine. but then the weapons are all fuck up in there palette coloring or something
MrRumbleRoses

PreviousNext

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects