(WIP) Ashes Afterglow- DEFCON 2

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: (WIP) Ashes Afterglow- DEFCON 2

Postby Scuba Steve » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:59 pm

ReformedJoe wrote:Re the movement speed discussion we do not have any plans to change it as the gameplay, both combat and exploration, is balanced around it. Ashes is not meant to be "realistic" or "tactical". The motorcycle and its role is something we have debated about internally and there might be some changes in future episodes.

Some Z axis tilting would certainly make any "jumps" on the cycle seem more thrilling... always felt odd when the bike would leave the ground but I would still be looking parallel to the ground.
Scuba Steve

Postby Vostyok » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:25 am

Scuba Steve wrote:
ReformedJoe wrote:Re the movement speed discussion we do not have any plans to change it as the gameplay, both combat and exploration, is balanced around it. Ashes is not meant to be "realistic" or "tactical". The motorcycle and its role is something we have debated about internally and there might be some changes in future episodes.

Some Z axis tilting would certainly make any "jumps" on the cycle seem more thrilling... always felt odd when the bike would leave the ground but I would still be looking parallel to the ground.

Hmm.... this is actually a really good idea. I think I can imagine how this would work too. I'll play around with this and hopefully it'll find its way into the release.
Vostyok
Picture by RetroMuffin34 <3

Discord: Vostyok#3164

Postby EddieNahui » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:48 am

Ahhh wonderful that is excellent to hear.
Vostyok wrote:
Scuba Steve wrote:

Hmm.... this is actually a really good idea. I think I can imagine how this would work too. I'll play around with this and hopefully it'll find its way into the release.

agreed it is a great idea I also would be interested in seeing it implemented aswell
EddieNahui

Postby atarumoroboshi18 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:23 pm

I had an idea, just a small one. What if there could be an item called a 'scavkit', essentially a refillable field medkit? It would have 2 abilities, one would obviously be to heal the player, but the second one would be when it's the selected item in your inventory and you're near a healing item you could activate that healing item to add the healing amount to your 'scavkit'. This wouldn't be a constant and would have limited uses for balance reasons, but it would be a very helpful item in a number of ways.
atarumoroboshi18

Postby TDG » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:43 am

atarumoroboshi18 wrote:I had an idea, just a small one. What if there could be an item called a 'scavkit', essentially a refillable field medkit? It would have 2 abilities, one would obviously be to heal the player, but the second one would be when it's the selected item in your inventory and you're near a healing item you could activate that healing item to add the healing amount to your 'scavkit'. This wouldn't be a constant and would have limited uses for balance reasons, but it would be a very helpful item in a number of ways.

Well there are already medical bags so an item like this is sort of superfluous.
TDG

Postby atarumoroboshi18 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:25 pm

TDG wrote:
atarumoroboshi18 wrote:I had an idea, just a small one. What if there could be an item called a 'scavkit', essentially a refillable field medkit? It would have 2 abilities, one would obviously be to heal the player, but the second one would be when it's the selected item in your inventory and you're near a healing item you could activate that healing item to add the healing amount to your 'scavkit'. This wouldn't be a constant and would have limited uses for balance reasons, but it would be a very helpful item in a number of ways.

Well there are already medical bags so an item like this is sort of superfluous.

I thought of it after realizing that I leave a lot of healing items around and I just thought, "Why can't I just take these with me? I'm a scavenger, why wouldn't I do that?" I would think of it like a sort of very rare one time use Stim/syringe, where you can fill it multiple times with random healing items, but only use it once to heal yourself and discard it. The more you fill it, the bigger the effect in essence.
atarumoroboshi18

Postby Vostyok » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:23 pm

To be honest, the inventory system is quite cluttered at the moment with all the various stims, medbags and other items you collect along the way. In the future, might have to simplify it somewhat.
Vostyok
Picture by RetroMuffin34 <3

Discord: Vostyok#3164

Postby atarumoroboshi18 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:03 pm

Vostyok wrote:To be honest, the inventory system is quite cluttered at the moment with all the various stims, medbags and other items you collect along the way. In the future, might have to simplify it somewhat.

This is your mod, I'm merely offering suggestions. No matter what you do, it's still absolutely amazing and I'm here for the ride! I'm even playing through 2063 again to get myself pumped for Afterglow and it's just as good now as when I last played it!
atarumoroboshi18

Postby jiggly fatass » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:56 am

Out of curiosity, has the playtesting started yet, or are the final touches still being worked on?
jiggly fatass

Postby wildweasel » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:41 am

jiggly fatass wrote:Out of curiosity, has the playtesting started yet, or are the final touches still being worked on?

I imagine the dev would have said so if it had.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby jiggly fatass » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:29 am

wildweasel wrote:
jiggly fatass wrote:Out of curiosity, has the playtesting started yet, or are the final touches still being worked on?

I imagine the dev would have said so if it had.

Probably, but never hurts to ask, right? Guess I'm just eager for the release.
jiggly fatass

Postby ReformedJoe » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:17 pm

We're very close to starting the playtesting phase.

Any new testers will be considered on a per case basis, but the playtesting group is pretty full at the moment.
ReformedJoe

Postby lumbo7332 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:03 pm

So excited for this! Are you going to make the corpses that are lying around destructible?
lumbo7332

Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Previous

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects