(WIP) Ashes Afterglow- teaser video pg19

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Re: (WIP) Ashes Afterglow- teaser video pg19

Postby Toberone » Sun May 16, 2021 10:43 pm

Longtime lurker here, Felt the need to say I'm in love with everything in the recent video! I could not be anymore hype at this point. Immense work!
Toberone

Re: (WIP) Ashes Afterglow- Progress update pg17

Postby Leglock » Tue May 18, 2021 3:03 pm

ReformedJoe wrote:Just because, here's a quick little gameplay video showing off some new-ish stuff.

To be clear about the state of the project, we are definitely in the back half, if not quite the home stretch yet. But the end is in sight and we're all optimistic about a release this year.

The commercialization of ashes is not something, I think, the team has a moral opposition to. The biggest sticking point with it is the use of assets from other games, but the process of replacing this stuff with original work is ongoing. There's also the hobbyist point and the fact that injecting money into this might produce ugly results and conflict.

It is honestly something we haven't discussed much beyond a basic level. Like Vostyok says, it's something for us to think about

Oh god, I think I have a rocket in pocket :O
Leglock

Discord: Leggo#8138
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Re: Re: Re: (WIP) Ashes Afterglow- teaser video pg19

Postby Vostyok » Mon May 24, 2021 8:07 am

Jj117 wrote:... I just wish we could meet more friendly npc within the same map instead of going to another map. Do some quests given by friendly militia, or even go help remove monster lair with friendly militias

Hopefully you'll enjoy the little "gang war" I'm making, but will be adding more Npcs to maps, some friendly, some not. It's something I'd like to do more of, but we'll see how it works.

Thanks again for the comments, everyone! Not long now, I assure you. Have updated the front page with some backstory for two new items and one of the two new enemies I've recently added.
Vostyok
I'm living in a cardboard box

Discord: Vostyok#3164

Re: (WIP) Ashes Afterglow- teaser video pg19

Postby atarumoroboshi18 » Mon May 24, 2021 8:36 pm

So pumped, sounds like things are going great! That video was great! Can't wait!
atarumoroboshi18

Postby Bobby » Tue May 25, 2021 10:53 am

Is it possible to make a version of the gameplay mod without the monsters?
Bobby

Postby ZeroFox » Tue May 25, 2021 9:37 pm

Looking forward to this next update so much!
ZeroFox

Postby StraightWhiteMan » Sun May 30, 2021 11:40 am

My God that recent gameplay video looks amazing! Great work so far to say the least. All the updated & new sprites/artwork is spot on, the layout of the map look extremely fun, and the sounds are all perfect. Usually sequels don't shine as bright as the first one, but that doesn't seem to be the case whatsoever here. One minor (although possibly time consuming) suggestion I have is: animating all the idle weapon states to have minor finger/hand movements. I wouldn't normally suggest this, but you guys have the skill to do it, and the game is of high quality where something like that would be considered. Definitely not something that will take away from the game not having it, but would add a little more detail and immersion to it.
StraightWhiteMan

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Vostyok » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:01 am

Bobby wrote:Is it possible to make a version of the gameplay mod without the monsters?

If you mean just weapons, yes there will be a weapons/items only version of the mod compatible with other mapsets. I'm also planning on a Sterilized map pack which will reduce all the rpg and related elements so that it can be played as a straight shooter or with other mods such as Hideous Destructor.

Finally, although this is awaiting the playtesting phase, we may be releasing a 'Depleted' map pack for those machines that aren't quite cutting edge, but as said, we will see how playtesting goes. Hopefully with all the optimizing we are doing we won't need one.

Edit: one subject of weapon/hand animations, this is something I would like to do from the get go. The sprites so far are all finished, so would be tricky retaining that original style constructing completely new angles. Definitely something I can think about in the future, but not really feasible for this release. Sorry
Vostyok
I'm living in a cardboard box

Discord: Vostyok#3164

Postby Bobby » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:17 pm

That's great. What do you have left to do?
Bobby

Previous

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects