(Closed Playtest) Ashes Afterglow- DEFCON 1

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Re: Re: (WIP) Ashes Afterglow- Progress update pg14

Postby WiseFree » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:55 pm

Vostyok wrote:
WiseFree wrote:Great job as always Vostyok , just one curiosity , is there any possibility of improving the UI look?

Will see what I can do. Will post some screens of both the graphical and text only UI when I've decided on what I'm going with.

Looking forward to it then. :wink:
WiseFree

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Linz » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:15 pm

Question,will you update the Weapons and Monsters Packs with the new weapons and monsters and shit Afterglow introduced once you're done?
Linz

Postby Vostyok » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:57 pm

Of course!

All updated monsters, weapons and, indeed, shit, shall be available in separate packs for all your smooshing needs. I'm planning on releasing these shortly after the main release.

Not sure about the mutators yet - we'll see how their relevant authors feel about having to update their work.
Vostyok
Picture by RetroMuffin34 <3

Discord: Vostyok#3164

Postby Linz » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:27 pm

I wonder how you'll implement the workbench upgrades for them though
Linz

Re: Re: (WIP) Ashes Afterglow- Progress update pg14

Postby atarumoroboshi18 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:26 am

I thought of a fun idea. How about giving mutated enemies the ability to upgrade? Maybe have ultra rare radiation vents that spew radiation and if a mutant steps on it they morph/mutate/upgrade into a bigger, stronger beast?
atarumoroboshi18

Postby Gez » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:21 am

This is not how mutations work! :p
Gez

Postby Captain J » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:36 pm

Well in Fallout, the game lets you grow your extra toe and carry it in your pocket even
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Vostyok » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:30 pm

Linz wrote:I wonder how you'll implement the workbench upgrades for them though

Don't worry. I have a plan involving these, that will also support non-Ashes map based weapons progression.

atarumoroboshi18 wrote: I thought of a fun idea. How about giving mutated enemies the ability to upgrade? Maybe have ultra rare radiation vents that spew radiation and if a mutant steps on it they morph/mutate/upgrade into a bigger, stronger beast?

I remember playing a game called Wasted on Steam that gave some enemies an ability like this. This might be awkward to implement, due to the way radiation works though. I was thinking of including a radiation based enemy, since we have a spot for one of those. But I doubt it will interact with radiation in this way. We shall see.

Gez wrote:This is not how mutations work!

Quite.

We've just entered the next stage of our little campaign- heading out of The City and into The Badlands, and I will be posting some new shots once we've agreed on what we can show off. Expect this thread to get quiet for a short time again. But work continues.
Vostyok

Postby Leglock » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:47 pm

Vostyok wrote:
Linz wrote:I wonder how you'll implement the workbench upgrades for them though

Don't worry. I have a plan involving these, that will also support non-Ashes map based weapons progression.

atarumoroboshi18 wrote: I thought of a fun idea. How about giving mutated enemies the ability to upgrade? Maybe have ultra rare radiation vents that spew radiation and if a mutant steps on it they morph/mutate/upgrade into a bigger, stronger beast?

I remember playing a game called Wasted on Steam that gave some enemies an ability like this. This might be awkward to implement, due to the way radiation works though. I was thinking of including a radiation based enemy, since we have a spot for one of those. But I doubt it will interact with radiation in this way. We shall see.

Gez wrote:This is not how mutations work!

Quite.

We've just entered the next stage of our little campaign- heading out of The City and into The Badlands, and I will be posting some new shots once we've agreed on what we can show off. Expect this thread to get quiet for a short time again. But work continues.

Hey guys, sorry for not been present for a while, I was bussy trying to stay alive (2020 things :P)

Those screens look so detailed, I think you polished even more the sprites, maybe I am wrong. They look great.

About radiation enemies, I am on board on that. But I want to add some salt to that, making some kind of summoner/ necromancer that can summon/ resurrect enemies, both this new type of enemies and the spawns may have high radiation if you get to close. Just a random thought.

I saw you mentioned a discord, "the joy of mapping" maybe?
Leglock

Discord: Leggo#8138
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby Joje » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:30 pm

After a resent playthrough i realised that the bartender in Michonne Circle completely changed personality between the games. In the og ashes she felt like a stone cold bitch but in this demo she feels so goddamn friendly a talkative. I prefer her new personality more but it seems kind of strange. Maybe she got abducted by aliens and this is just an evil clone? Or in this case a friendly clone. Hidden Afterglow subplot revealed? dun dun dun duuuu
Joje

Discord: joje#4104

Postby Vostyok » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:54 pm

Leglock wrote:
Hey guys, sorry for not been present for a while, I was bussy trying to stay alive (2020 things :P)

Those screens look so detailed, I think you polished even more the sprites, maybe I am wrong. They look great.

About radiation enemies, I am on board on that. But I want to add some salt to that, making some kind of summoner/ necromancer that can summon/ resurrect enemies, both this new type of enemies and the spawns may have high radiation if you get to close. Just a random thought.

I saw you mentioned a discord, "the joy of mapping" maybe?

Hey, welcome back! Glad you survived.

Got something in mind for a mid-way point, regarding the above enemy idea, so don't worry. It'll make more sense, thematically.

And yes, we do have a Discord. Although it's really not very busy and is mainly for those wanting to playtest this and get notifications on the release date.

Joje wrote:After a resent playthrough i realised that the bartender in Michonne Circle completely changed personality between the games. In the og ashes she felt like a stone cold bitch but in this demo she feels so goddamn friendly a talkative. I prefer her new personality more but it seems kind of strange. Maybe she got abducted by aliens and this is just an evil clone? Or in this case a friendly clone. Hidden Afterglow subplot revealed? dun dun dun duuuu

iirc correctly she changes dialogue slightly depending on how you speak to her. If you order a drink or food she gets a little more talkative. I never really wrote her as malicious though. She has a bit more respect for scavengers than most of the other characters. She's more sarcastic than anything, she just doesn't trust drifters that much.

In other news, I have been away for a bit, and still am. Wifi access is a bit sketchy. So can't post anything quite yet. Hopefully within the next week or so I can give a decent update to what we've been doing.
Vostyok

Postby ReformedJoe » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:40 am

Here are some more screens from my end of the project.

Spoiler:
ReformedJoe

Postby atarumoroboshi18 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:35 am

ReformedJoe wrote:Here are some more screens from my end of the project.

Mmm! These mods are basically the only ones I'm truly waiting for! These screens look amazing! Hats off to the texture artists, mappers, etc. for this incredible work!
atarumoroboshi18

Postby Scuba Steve » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:11 pm

Give to Steve.
Scuba Steve

Postby Captain J » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:02 am

SO GLAD the TC is going well. Especially the map blended real well with the lemon-orange sky!
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

PreviousNext

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects