Re: (WIP) Ashes Afterglow- Demo Uploaded

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Re: (WIP) Ashes Afterglow- Demo Uploaded

Postby Korell » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:10 pm

Well, played it last night and tonight and I think I have seen almost all of the maps, but not really gotten to any real resolution.
Spoiler:

The feel of it is great, though the difficulty seemed slightly higher than I recall the first episode being (it could just be me not remembering correctly). I think it was due to having so little ammo for quite some time, but I managed so it can't have been that difficult. :P
Korell

Postby Vostyok » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:13 pm

@captainJ

Thank you for the extensive feedback, cap!

Some points of note below:

Spoiler:

And that's all. I'll take a look at those other issues for the next release. Thanks again :D
Vostyok
WARNING - SPOOPY MODE ACTIVE

Discord: Vostyok#3164

Postby Vostyok » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:15 pm

Korell wrote:Well, played it last night and tonight and I think I have seen almost all of the maps, but not really gotten to any real resolution.
Spoiler:

The feel of it is great, though the difficulty seemed slightly higher than I recall the first episode being (it could just be me not remembering correctly). I think it was due to having so little ammo for quite some time, but I managed so it can't have been that difficult. :P

Spoiler:
Vostyok

Postby VriskaSerket » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:30 pm

Played through ep. 1 and this and BOY am I h y p e d !
Can't wait for sterilized version too 'cause these maps fit really well with Resident Evil enemies.
VriskaSerket
a.k.a Squig

Postby Captain J » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:35 am

Spoiler: Some replies for ya
EDIT: Wait, forget what i said about the upgraded weapons emptying its own mag. Except Master Blaster mag size increases with no actual mag refill, it's fine.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Captain J » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:44 am

So i didn't know ZDoom Forum had a Spoiler limit and it's just one. Pardon me double posting, but we're gonna need this one!:
Spoiler: To Lolhalla
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Postby Vostyok » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:43 am

Yeah, seems to be okay if it's your own topic. Then you can spoil post all you want.

Player crouch sprites aren't complete yet. Oops.

Also, I'm expanding the arena a little and levelling it out to give a better fight. Maybe making it a little brighter as well.

Oh, and forgot to mention. Probably going to change the Overseer's crossbow attack. Make it more visible, slower, higher damage. Probably some sort of explosive/flare device for some pyrotechnic effects.

Ah, and one last thing. Going to be adding a script to the raider leaders so they will react to fleeing buddies. The sound files are already in ("Get back here you wimp!!"), I just need to tinker with the code a little more. Maybe make it so they are more likely to run after watching a friend getting barbecued or exploded, but we'll see.
Vostyok

Postby atarumoroboshi18 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:47 am

You know, I just had what I think could be a really cool idea. Not sure if you or someone else would do this but...how about a mode similar to Resident Evil 4 Mercenaries? Take a map, remove the level changes, add enemy spawners and weapon/item placements, give a time limit that can be increased w/ time powerups, etc. Imagine having to fight to survive in the Ashes 2063/Afterglow levels with enemies spawning all around you as you desperately cling to life with what ammo and powerups you can find.
atarumoroboshi18

Postby Captain J » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:21 am

Vostyok wrote:Ah, and one last thing. Going to be adding a script to the raider leaders so they will react to fleeing buddies. The sound files are already in ("Get back here you wimp!!"), I just need to tinker with the code a little more. Maybe make it so they are more likely to run after watching a friend getting barbecued or exploded, but we'll see.
That sounds super interesting! And that's totally realistic as well. And leader, you say? Is that the blue haired girl? Did you already made another enemy for it?
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Postby Leglock » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:38 am

Korell wrote:Well, played it last night and tonight and I think I have seen almost all of the maps, but not really gotten to any real resolution.
Spoiler:

After playing YET AGAIN Ep1 and Afterglow (for the 5th time) I think the Hardest difficult is ok, I would add one more since enemies hit harder but they also take a bunch of damage themselves from all sources, not only the player, and Human enemies drop a lot of ammo. Also the crowbar feels super good almost everytime (except against crowds if you are not well covered), the hammer feels underwhelming by the point you get it (the hammer it's ok, since it has the primary attack that helps in some situations, like kitting Mutants and hit stun them to avoid projectiles from the dogs. But the crowbar gets the cake).

The only thing I won't miss and I am pretty sure it's gonna change is the hitscans: Afterglow feels much better compared to 2063 in the combat (and I love the combat in 2063/DMW) and has no Hitscans so far.
Also, the noice of the hammer it's annoying, I won't miss it if it has to go.
Leglock

Discord: Leggo#8138
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby Korell » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:38 pm

Vostyok wrote:
Spoiler:

I did find the power unit with the missing fuse. There was some message mentioning a fuse was needed. However, I've not found one so haven't been back to Westside.

As for the difficulty, I'm on easy as I'm not great at games, as much as I love them. I was finding that I would still take noticeable damage, yet the ammo pickups were very small. For instance, the shotgun gang members would drop only two shells. Once I found more weapons and cleared out the Flooded District I was in a much better situation as regards ammo, but before that, and for some of the Flooded District, some of my ammo was very tight, like shotgun and revolver, having around 15-25 revolver bullets in reserve for quite some time, and when you pick up the SMG, if I had reloaded it I would have had almost no reserve ammo for the pistol (I didn't use these guns very much, though, relying on revolver and shotgun, so once that level was cleared I had plenty of pistol ammo, especially when I found the ammo bag).
Korell

Postby Jarewill » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:43 pm

I have gone through each area several times over, but I am still missing two things:
- The gold key needed to open two trucks
- And the battery for the motorcycle, I already found the gas canister

Are those two in the demo or not?
If so, are there any hints as to where I can find them?
I feel like I missed something very obvious.
Jarewill

Postby Igniz » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:44 pm

Wonderful, played first part and finally had a pleasure to glipse at a second. Cant even begin to describe amount of work done, so I'll pass. All changes are welcome.
Though I found maps while somewhat easy to navigate, dew to landmarks, cryptic to pass through.
Jarewill wrote:I have gone through each area several times over, but I am still missing two things:

Had same expirience, and found 2 switches in the library to open the vault locker (I guess there was third but couldn't find it for the life of me).
Funnily had 0 trouble locating vents.
I presume some areas are still wip, like flooded door in the metro with acess to second floor and maybe 2 other small areas.
Igniz

Discord: Igniz#7881

Postby Leglock » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:43 pm

Igniz wrote:Wonderful, played first part and finally had a pleasure to glipse at a second. Cant even begin to describe amount of work done, so I'll pass. All changes are welcome.
Though I found maps while somewhat easy to navigate, dew to landmarks, cryptic to pass through.
Jarewill wrote:I have gone through each area several times over, but I am still missing two things:

Had same expirience, and found 2 switches in the library to open the vault locker (I guess there was third but couldn't find it for the life of me).
Funnily had 0 trouble locating vents.
I presume some areas are still wip, like flooded door in the metro with acess to second floor and maybe 2 other small areas.

Spoiler:

Vostyok, are you gonna realse the full episode in 2020? I really want you to have a Cacoaward (and I would be sad if you don't get it).
Leglock

Discord: Leggo#8138
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby Vostyok » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:07 pm

Fuse location:

Spoiler:

And no, as stated in readme, gold key not in demo. It's a teaser for later. The final part for the motorcycle will be found in the full release. Enjoy the ending text.

As discussed in the playtest discord, I'm thinking of adding a magazine unload button, so you can empty a weapon to refill your reserve. In the future, I'll probably try and avoid multiple weapons that use same ammo types. It's just a pain to deal with, unless you are planning on having Tier levels of guns.

Honestly, unless something terrible happens this year, pretty sure that Treasure Tech will be swiping this year's award. It really is rather beautiful in many ways. I really want to release this year regardless, but I will not hesitate to delay for a short time if there are still elements to this episode that are missing or in need of serious improvement.

OH, and in relation to the Resident Evil idea, not sure how that would work. Perhaps some sort of mod-mod that adds an AI director or something. Still, the Sterilized edition should be compatible with most mods.

Once again, thank you for all the comments. It really does keep me motivated to finishing this unruly beast once and for all.
Vostyok

PreviousNext

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects