Ashes Afterglow TC - Version 1.08, page 80 (and poll)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

You’re heading into the DEATH ZONE. Is your gear prepared? What do you think you’ll see out there?

Poll runs till Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:14 pm

I'm hoping to see something like the first episode, more linear and less dialogue but with more options for replay.
4%
I'm hoping to see something like Afterglow - semi-open-world and lots of quests to discover and people to talk to.
40%
I'd like to see a mix of the two - an open world but more separation between action and safe areas. Optional dialogue if possible.
26%
Any of the above as long as there is less of the bike.
4%
Any of the above but less dialog in general unless necessary.
5%
I'm not sure what I'm expecting to see, I'm just hoping it'll be fun.
9%
[CHARISMA 10] I wanna see more of that fat ass, boom chicka wow wow!
14%

Total votes : 81

Re: Ashes Afterglow TC - quick progress speak

Postby SaveTheDoomer » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:32 am

Just a little request... several weapons ignore infiniteammo, like the sawedoff, the jackhammer, the bike gun, and also the autoloader, machine pistol, master blaster and killerpig alt-fires. Any chance that this will be fixed? Thanks!
SaveTheDoomer

Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby AmissaAnima » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:45 am

That is related to the GZdoom engine not Ashes Afterglow jsyk.
AmissaAnima
Doctor Death at your Disservice

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit

Postby Vostyok » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:56 am

Apparently there is a Flag that can be added to TakeInventory functions that ignores the reduction if the cheat is active. I was previously not aware of this. So it is possible.

I will see what I can do.
Vostyok
I have no mouse and I must meme

Discord: Vostyok#3164

Postby AmissaAnima » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:04 pm

(I have no idea if i have written about this before or not.)

Bug report (spoilers ofc)

Spoiler:
AmissaAnima

Postby Plasmazippo » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:04 pm

Mechazaurus wrote:I think the weapons are fine. Any complaints are mostly nitpicks. Fixing bugs and spelling problems are one thing, but I think it's better to move on to episode three (or whatever else you want to do) instead of continuing to tweak a game that is already practically perfect (in my opinion).

I agree. There's really nothing to tweak in the weapons, they all work beautifully and in synergy with each other. Hell, I'd even risk saying there's no need to alter the arsenal for episode 3 at all.

BTW, found a fix to a weapons pack bug I'd mentioned before: the ricochet clatter in the Revenant seeker missile is because of this bit of code in the base DECORATE file:
Code: Select allExpand view
Actor HitPuff : BulletPuff replaces BulletPuff

Scav's weapons call upon the HitPuff actor directly, so the "replaces BulletPuff" part can be safely commented out or deleted. Scav's bullet impacts will still make noise and emit sparks, but the tracer missiles will be mercifully quiet (if pretty smoky).

Yes, this means enemy hitscan attacks won't make impact sounds, but I don't consider this a big loss, and in case someone does, you can create a DECORATE replacement that calls upon HitPuff pretty easily using inheritance. It'd have to be done for each enemy at a time, but it's the necessary tradeoff. And if I, a ding dong with no formal knowledge of programming, learned how to do it, y'all can too. :P
Last edited by Plasmazippo on Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plasmazippo

Operating System: Windows 10 ARM
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby AmissaAnima » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:10 pm

While i can accept that you and other peeps have their own thoughts. I would just like to add that stretching out stuff and expecting too much will only lead to disappointment.
AmissaAnima

Re: (Moddb launch) Ashes Afterglow TC - quick progress speak

Postby ButtonBoy » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:37 am

Vostyok wrote:Hello!

Apologies for short hiatus. Have been very busy over holiday period, as well as somewhat unwell and burned out. Still, new year, new works to be done. So time to get back to it :D

On the subject of fixes/bugs/improvements, many thanks to those who have been finding various issues within the mod. Am aiming to have a complete "definitive" (can we still use that word for releases in gaming now... hmm) release that should tie up some of these. Main focus is a new NPC for settlements, workbench pipebomb construction, akimbo lantern/machine-pistol, better tier-3 machine-pistol, some more clarification with quests, that funky dam raid music actually playing in the map that inspired it, as well as a big spelling/grammar sweep. This edition should update the Moddb version as well as the pk3 versions here. Also, finally should be dropping the monsters only version of the mod, as well as a sterilized mapset in due time. It strikes me that there was little point in making the maps mod friendly while there were still issues creeping through them, hence delay on that one.

On the subject of Glock 9mm semi-automatic of indeterminate brand, it was discussed in the old thread way way while ago. I originally wanted to drop it, since it was difficult to balance it between the might and precision of the .45 revolver, and the fury and capacity of the machine-pistol, without unrealistically eclipsing either of them. We've discussed this within the team as well, and the common consensus then and now was i) It fills a niche in the early game when you don't yet have the machine-pistol and ii) it works better to conserve ammo than its bigger brother. Also a lot of people wanted to keep it in simply because they liked it. It's probably the most responsive and snappy of all the weapons at what it does, without lengthy reload times, rate of fire delays or constrictive capacity.

Future projects will work to smooth over this (and several other examples of) overlap in some of the weapons - keeping that diversity while keeping distinct roles and versatility of function. You'll see.

For those requesting title art - see below. Includes full-color versions of the new comic book panels as well, as well as the ending crawler. I hope this is useful to someone.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/e31pciwioyudw9m/ArtBook.zip/file

Finally, I may have stated before but the further tweaks and changes I have in mind and you have suggested probably won't find their way into this episode - pretty much everyone who was going to play this has played it, and I am more concerned currently about major game-breaking issues and severe QOL hiccups. Should episode 3 have that tighter, more polished look and feel, than more than likely some of those improvements will find their way back to ep1 & ep2 (as well as DMW of course). But I am looking to experiment with some ideas I have had with some of the expansion material, so hopefully you'll get a peek at that/those.

Finally, thank you. Thank you all for the continued support and feedback. It really does mean a lot to us. Now, I better get back to it. Hope to see you in New Nashville, if I don't see you before then. :D

Hello to you to! its good to see you back, but its also good too see you take time off, sometimes you just need a break, I get that, thanks for the artwork, like I said I really appreciate it, its good to hear that you have some big plans for updates, expansions, and new episodes, and your right the tier 3 SMG upgrade does need some more clarification, so I can't wait, keep up the good work, and thank you again your doing a great job, both you and Joe
ButtonBoy

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Weyland » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:13 am

Hi, congrats for a great mod, it's really kicks ass. But I'm wondering where can I find ammo primers in floated district?
Weyland

Postby ButtonBoy » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:24 pm

Weyland wrote:Hi, congrats for a great mod, it's really kicks ass. But I'm wondering where can I find ammo primers in floated district?

They are in a shop next to the Chinese restaurant, you can get there via the opposite side of the the Chinese restaurant, on the opposite side of the Chinese restaurant should be a laundromat, next to that are some stairs. go up them, take the bridge to the side with the Chinese restaurant, go in to the gun shop, in the back room there is a closet, interact with it and it will open up to reveal the ammo primers, I hope this helps
ButtonBoy

Postby Weyland » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:30 pm

Oh thanks, now I can leave Michonne :)
Weyland

Postby ButtonBoy » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:45 pm

Hey Vos, I got a question for ya, on Shadefyre's playthrough of afterglow, in episode 16 you mentioned that in 1.05 onwards there is a game that you can play, is it the one in the nuclear plant or is it something else, thanks in advance
ButtonBoy

Postby AmissaAnima » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:40 pm

While i'm not Vos.

Spoiler:
AmissaAnima

Postby Plasmazippo » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:31 pm

AmissaAnima wrote:While i can accept that you and other peeps have their own thoughts. I would just like to add that stretching out stuff and expecting too much will only lead to disappointment.

I don't get what you mean...? I'm just reporting bugs and finding fixes or workarounds for them, kinda like you are.

Unless I'm not the user you're talking to, in which case my B :?
Plasmazippo

Operating System: Windows 10 ARM
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby AmissaAnima » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:34 pm

Plasmazippo wrote:
AmissaAnima wrote:While i can accept that you and other peeps have their own thoughts. I would just like to add that stretching out stuff and expecting too much will only lead to disappointment.

I don't get what you mean...? I'm just reporting bugs and finding fixes or workarounds for them, kinda like you are.

Unless I'm not the user you're talking to, in which case my B :?

My comment made more sense before you edited and added more stuff.

It was more regarding the mentioning of no need to add more weapons.

My comment was also meant to the comment mentioning the to start with EP3 asap instead of fixing stuff.
AmissaAnima

Re: Ashes Afterglow TC - New Poll

Postby Vostyok » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:55 pm

Ep3 planning is going well and have started a small test sprite for a new weapon. It looks sick. But do appreciate that Ep1 + 2 need a little bit more polish before I can call them 'done'.
No one will want to play ep3 if they get soft-locked or pissed off while playing the first two, I think you can agree.
Check out the changelog so far, if you are wondering what I've been doing:
Spoiler:

Hoping to drop V1.08 tomorrow (uhhhh... in about 12 or so hours for those not in my timezone). Got a couple more things to add.

edit: @buttonboy - there is a minigame in
Spoiler:

edit: poll created. Poll results will influence final design but will not be definite. Welcome any feedback or further thoughts, but please respect other opinions.

Hey, scav! Think you're tough? Bet you thought the city was real easy, huh! You wouldn't last five minutes... in the DEATH ZONE.
Vostyok
I have no mouse and I must meme

Discord: Vostyok#3164

PreviousNext

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects