Ashes Afterglow TC - Version 1.08, page 80 (and poll)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

You’re heading into the DEATH ZONE. Is your gear prepared? What do you think you’ll see out there?

Poll runs till Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:14 pm

I'm hoping to see something like the first episode, more linear and less dialogue but with more options for replay.
4%
I'm hoping to see something like Afterglow - semi-open-world and lots of quests to discover and people to talk to.
40%
I'd like to see a mix of the two - an open world but more separation between action and safe areas. Optional dialogue if possible.
26%
Any of the above as long as there is less of the bike.
4%
Any of the above but less dialog in general unless necessary.
5%
I'm not sure what I'm expecting to see, I'm just hoping it'll be fun.
9%
[CHARISMA 10] I wanna see more of that fat ass, boom chicka wow wow!
14%

Total votes : 81

Re: (Moddb launch) Ashes Afterglow TC

Postby Serathis » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:55 pm

Plasmazippo wrote:By the by, guys:

I've seen mentions of Ashes in several pages of TV Tropes (such as here, here and here) and yet the game has no page of its own.

Yeah I found that odd too! Someone should get on it. If I could edit TVT pages I'd have already done it, but I'm crap at it :(
Serathis

Postby ButtonBoy » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:26 pm

I've got a Question, What makes the Glock competitive with the SMG, because the moment I got the SMG I never used the Glock again, the SMG it's basically a better Glock right or is there something so different between them that makes the Glock actually worthwhile to use compared to the SMG
ButtonBoy

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby AmissaAnima » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:28 pm

I've actually wondered why the Glock is better than the Uzi myself. Like they both use 9mm. Sure glock is automatic and can be upgraded to burst.
But the Uzi fires more 9mm bullets way faster than the Glock possibly can. So why is there an damage difference between both of the two weapons?

For those wondering about my guide.
Spoiler:
AmissaAnima
Doctor Death at your Disservice

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit

Postby ButtonBoy » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:12 pm

I was wondering if anyone had the art of afterglow and by extension 2063, without the text, for example the credits art in afterglow, the one with the Scav on the bike with the Mutant leaders head in the background, would make a really great wallpaper, if it didn't have any text so I was wondering if anyone had like a textless version for that and the other art pieces in the games, including the comic panel type things
p.s I also was digging through the afterglow pk3, and i came across some pngs which show the Scav, flipping in his hand what I presume to be the revolver, so maybe at some point in early development we might of been able to flip the revolver in our hands but this got scrapped at some point and we are no longer able or allowed to do it
ButtonBoy

Postby Plasmazippo » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:21 pm

ButtonBoy wrote:I've got a Question, What makes the Glock competitive with the SMG, because the moment I got the SMG I never used the Glock again, the SMG it's basically a better Glock right or is there something so different between them that makes the Glock actually worthwhile to use compared to the SMG

AmissaAnima wrote:I've actually wondered why the Glock is better than the Uzi myself. Like they both use 9mm. Sure glock is automatic and can be upgraded to burst.
But the Uzi fires more 9mm bullets way faster than the Glock possibly can. So why is there an damage difference between both of the two weapons?

For those wondering about my guide.
Spoiler:

There is definitely a difference in the damage per bullet with the burst-fire on the Tacticool Burstfire Autoloader (tier 3 Glock). Each bullet deals 20 damage on burst mode, significantly more than the Ingram at any tier.

My guess is this is for gameplay balance, to give you an actual reason to use the upgraded Glock rather than the revolver or the Ingram. Plus, the Ingram still has the benefits of silent fire, stunlocking, and it can kill more enemies or a single bigger enemy than the Glock before you need to reload.

Also, the Autoloader can be used alongside the Lantern :wink:
Plasmazippo

Operating System: Windows 10 ARM
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby AmissaAnima » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:38 pm

The UZI is not an Ingram it's an MAC-10. Ingram is the surname of the guy who made the MAC-10 the term MAC-10 is more commonly used thus making the term Ingram trivial

Also.

Spoiler:
AmissaAnima

Postby ZikShadow » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:11 pm

I mean, it's fine to call it the Ingram, no need to split hairs about it. So long as people know the gun you're talking about, I'd say it's good enough. Goodness knows some media, like Max Payne, used the Ingram name instead of naming a specific model.
ZikShadow

Postby Plasmazippo » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:23 pm

AmissaAnima wrote:The UZI is not an Ingram it's an MAC-10. Ingram is the surname of the guy who made the MAC-10 the term MAC-10 is more commonly used thus making the term Ingram trivial

I'm nowhere near enough of a gun foamer to care about nomenclature to a degree beyond getting my message across clearly. Plus it wasn't my main point. Like Zik said, splitting hairs like that is pointless.
Last edited by Plasmazippo on Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plasmazippo

Postby ButtonBoy » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:31 pm

AmissaAnima wrote:
Spoiler:

Okay Thanks, I will keep that in mind next time I see him online
ButtonBoy

Postby ButtonBoy » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:47 pm

Plasmazippo wrote:There is definitely a difference in the damage per bullet with the burst-fire on the Tacticool Burstfire Autoloader (tier 3 Glock). Each bullet deals 20 damage on burst mode, significantly more than the Ingram at any tier.My guess is this is for gameplay balance, to give you an actual reason to use the upgraded Glock rather than the revolver or the Ingram. Plus, the Ingram still has the benefits of silent fire, stunlocking, and it can kill more enemies or a single bigger enemy than the Glock before you need to reload.

That's what I was thinking also but I just never used the Glock, like I said I never used after I get the SMG, so alas I never upgraded it to tier 3 so I never saw how actually decent of a gun it would end up becoming , on my next playthrough I will make sure to use, thanks for the info,
P.s this is aimed at you Vos, while you are online, could please get a copy of the games art, like the comic panels and the other art pieces in the game, specifically the one with the Scav on the bike with the mutant leaders head in the background, I would greatly appreciate it, Thanks in advance
ButtonBoy

Postby AmissaAnima » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:40 pm

ZikShadow wrote:I mean, it's fine to call it the Ingram, no need to split hairs about it. So long as people know the gun you're talking about, I'd say it's good enough. Goodness knows some media, like Max Payne, used the Ingram name instead of naming a specific model.

Fair enough. I'm just too much of a fanboy of the MAC-10 in general so it just sometimes ticks my nerves off when people can't get the name right of it. Pathetic I know but that's just how I am about certain things at times. I have no intention to drag out this topic further don't worry.
AmissaAnima

(Moddb launch) Ashes Afterglow TC - quick progress speak

Postby Vostyok » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:56 pm

Hello!

Apologies for short hiatus. Have been very busy over holiday period, as well as somewhat unwell and burned out. Still, new year, new works to be done. So time to get back to it :D

On the subject of fixes/bugs/improvements, many thanks to those who have been finding various issues within the mod. Am aiming to have a complete "definitive" (can we still use that word for releases in gaming now... hmm) release that should tie up some of these. Main focus is a new NPC for settlements, workbench pipebomb construction, akimbo lantern/machine-pistol, better tier-3 machine-pistol, some more clarification with quests, that funky dam raid music actually playing in the map that inspired it, as well as a big spelling/grammar sweep. This edition should update the Moddb version as well as the pk3 versions here. Also, finally should be dropping the monsters only version of the mod, as well as a sterilized mapset in due time. It strikes me that there was little point in making the maps mod friendly while there were still issues creeping through them, hence delay on that one.

On the subject of Glock 9mm semi-automatic of indeterminate brand, it was discussed in the old thread way way while ago. I originally wanted to drop it, since it was difficult to balance it between the might and precision of the .45 revolver, and the fury and capacity of the machine-pistol, without unrealistically eclipsing either of them. We've discussed this within the team as well, and the common consensus then and now was i) It fills a niche in the early game when you don't yet have the machine-pistol and ii) it works better to conserve ammo than its bigger brother. Also a lot of people wanted to keep it in simply because they liked it. It's probably the most responsive and snappy of all the weapons at what it does, without lengthy reload times, rate of fire delays or constrictive capacity.

Future projects will work to smooth over this (and several other examples of) overlap in some of the weapons - keeping that diversity while keeping distinct roles and versatility of function. You'll see.

For those requesting title art - see below. Includes full-color versions of the new comic book panels as well, as well as the ending crawler. I hope this is useful to someone.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/e31pciwioyudw9m/ArtBook.zip/file

Finally, I may have stated before but the further tweaks and changes I have in mind and you have suggested probably won't find their way into this episode - pretty much everyone who was going to play this has played it, and I am more concerned currently about major game-breaking issues and severe QOL hiccups. Should episode 3 have that tighter, more polished look and feel, than more than likely some of those improvements will find their way back to ep1 & ep2 (as well as DMW of course). But I am looking to experiment with some ideas I have had with some of the expansion material, so hopefully you'll get a peek at that/those.

Finally, thank you. Thank you all for the continued support and feedback. It really does mean a lot to us. Now, I better get back to it. Hope to see you in New Nashville, if I don't see you before then. :D
Vostyok
I have no mouse and I must meme

Discord: Vostyok#3164

Postby ZikShadow » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:42 pm

AmissaAnima wrote:
ZikShadow wrote:I mean, it's fine to call it the Ingram, no need to split hairs about it. So long as people know the gun you're talking about, I'd say it's good enough. Goodness knows some media, like Max Payne, used the Ingram name instead of naming a specific model.

I'm just too much of a fanboy of the MAC-10 in general so it just sometimes ticks my nerves off when people can't get the name right of it.

I know the feeling. At the same time, there's so much variants of the Mac model (even a .380ACP variant from Cobray called the M12) that one could be forgiven with skipping model name entirely and just using the original creator name. Similar to how there's so many Sten model from MK2 to MK5 but it's easier to just call everything the Sten.
ZikShadow

Re: Ashes Afterglow TC - quick progress speak

Postby Plasmazippo » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:00 pm

Happy new year, Vos! I hope you're not burnt out anymore but I'll understand if you're still feeling tired, Ashes is a HUGE endeavor.

By the way...
Spoiler:
Plasmazippo

Re: Ashes Afterglow TC - quick progress speak

Postby Mechazaurus » Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:33 pm

I think the weapons are fine. Any complaints are mostly nitpicks. Fixing bugs and spelling problems are one thing, but I think it's better to move on to episode three (or whatever else you want to do) instead of continuing to tweak a game that is already practically perfect (in my opinion).
Mechazaurus

PreviousNext

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects