SIREN TC | v0.5

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: SIREN TC | v0.5

Postby DoomwithaView » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:36 pm

thankyou!
DoomwithaView

Discord: DitheredOutput

Postby DoomwithaView » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:31 am

d
Last edited by DoomwithaView on Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
DoomwithaView

Postby DoomwithaView » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:33 am

Want to play this with other maps? Get it here.

V5.5 Siren - Mod Only
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KHNoTv ... p=drivesdk
DoomwithaView

Postby ebb » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:23 pm

soulshinobi wrote:
ebb wrote:My hud isn't working lol.
edit: i’m dumb, just had to max it out

My HUD still isn't working, it's just a Doom brick texture across the bottom with a gap in the middle, been playing with the settings for 15 minutes. The crosshair appears to be custom for this mod and is working, however it's off quite a bit vertically, bullets go above it. Any help is appreciated.

i just disabled the crosshair cus it's weird lmao

i think it's like the + or - buttons that make the hud a different size???
ebb

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby Time_Streamer » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:26 am

Ok. This mod has a lot of potential, however it has some problems that prevented me to keep playing this version as it is. I'm having fun with the weapon+monster pack with my maps though.

That aside, looking at older posts in the forum I realized that the main issue with this mod is performance. I'm not gonna delve too much into it, since it's an issue already reported. I didn't tried the "Lite" version, but If you are going to solve the performance issue by creating and maintaining a "Lite" version, I suggest you post the download link in the first page.

I stopped playing because I found that the mod may not be ready for full exploration and left me stuck in two different situations. Once a player is presented with a locked door he assumes that there is another way to proceed. In those two situations, I've tried to climb, I've backtracked, I've looked in every corner and still could not find a way out. Please forgive me if this two situations are intended (which I believe, they are not) and correct me If I'm wrong.

Spoiler:
Time_Streamer

Postby DoomwithaView » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:30 pm

Hi, thanks for playing. I was aware of the second bug but not the first. The maps are getting a lot of work done to solve progression issues.

Performance wise, yes it's on my radar. Again it's mainly caused by the maps, so I need to find a way to improve on this.

The 'lite' version is not really a route I want to go down but more of a concept to see what was causing the performance issues.
It basically strips all dynamic lights, animated textures (billboards) and the coloured lighting / subtle fog from the maps and seems to perform better.

I don't use a lot of dynamic lights so I shouldn't have to cut them really. I'd be interested to know the performance cost of things like the coloured lighting, that are a facility of ultimate doom builder really...
DoomwithaView

Postby Time_Streamer » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:15 am

Good to know that you are into it. I really like the mood intended and the maps. I was starting to really dig it, especially the monsters (love that Imps play dead. Little bastards) and weapons. Not a big fan of the flamethrower tho, since it seems to send forward a single straight fire column instead of the typical fire cone, but hey, maybe that's just me. I also only used it in E1M1 of Doom2 to kill the imps in the shotgun secret area. Maybe I need to play more with it.

Things aside, I've been testing a little bit. It seems that part of your performance issues stubbornly migrated into your weapon+monster pack. It's way better there than in the mod, but problems are there too. Running a simple small Oblige map with it I found that switching the flashlight on in some more light intensive areas can indeed plummet your fps count. Like playing at 120 fps and suddenly it drops to 60ish. Even less if action is going on. Frames get back up once i reduce lightning amount by moving to another room, look at another angle or switch the flashlight off. Dynamic or colored, light plays a part in this.

Also, as a minor request, can you please fix the AI for rifleman soldiers? Dunno if the issue is present on the main mod, but with the weapon+monster pack 70% of the time these dudes just stay stuck running in the same place completely ignoring you. That way we can play around in other mapsets while you fix the main mod. Thanks :)
Time_Streamer

Postby DoomwithaView » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:07 pm

I'm currently playing through other maps with it and fixing a host of bugs. An update will be within 48 hours and will include the rifleman fix. I'll see if I can improve the trajectory of the flamethrower too.

(While the flamethrower will damage imps, they're one of the few enemies it won't actually set on set on fire.)

I too can tank FPS on many different maps with the flashlight. If I can't improve it I'll revert back to 'Steve's flashlight'.
DoomwithaView

Postby DoomwithaView » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:04 am

DoomwithaView wrote:V5.5b Siren - Mod Only
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KHNoTv ... sp=sharing

Bugfix Bump!
DoomwithaView

Postby DoomwithaView » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:38 pm

Here's some work going into a 'mini boss' encounter.
DoomwithaView

Previous

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects