SIREN TC | v0.3

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

SIREN TC | v0.3

Postby DoomwithaView » Sun May 24, 2020 8:54 am

Welcome to Siren, a mod built on ID's latest tech demo 'Doom 2'

This aims to be an experience closer to an 'Aliens' game but with the variety and gameplay benefits the rosta of Doom monsters brings
This is a slower, more perilous mod that aims to tell its story through its own set of levels.

Is this finished then?

No, this is a WIP. At the moment there's 6 weapons and, cough, one level.

Can this be used be used with other maps?

Most of the assets directly replace those of Doom 2, so yes, it should work.
There may be bugs and I'm not devoting time to testing this aspect right now. (Imps, for example, will climb on sky textures)

Thanks for looking. Any feedback would be great.

Gzdoom Only
Mouse look: Yes
Autoaim: Needs to be off.
Crouch/Jump: Yes
Flashlight: Yes (included)

Download 0.35

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ys2gc- ... sp=sharing

Screens
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Contributing Features
[spoiler]Based on BDLite https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=62203
Added Zscript Headshots by Mikk https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=68078
PDA by Nash Muhandes https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=105&t=65849
Movement by Nash (Nashmove, Tilt++ and Weapon Sway Tweaked together.[/spoiler]

The weapons
[spoiler]
    Titanium Ally.

This Sig Sauer uses hydrogen accelerators to deliver extreme velocity firepower without devastating recoil.
    Since its introduction in 1994, it has been banned in every country on earth after several thousand users reported missing limbs as a by-product of using unstable hydrogen cells in a handgun.

Ripley M14B

Infiltration rifle. A heavily suppressed barrel and the use of caseless rounds means you can slaughter without a trace.
    The 4 round burst can put most things down with one pull of the trigger.
    A semi-automatic mode provides unrivaled accuracy for shooting tin cans at long range.
    Standard issue for UAC marines. You also have one.

Combat Shotgun

Buck-shot bread and butter. A high rate-of-fire makes it a go-to for close-quarters combat. Uses 12 round magazines to ensure you don't get caught loading shells one-by-one like a complete jerk.

Concorde Minigun

After retiring from the aviation industry, Henry Concorde took all he had learned from aerospace engineering... and disregarded it as it had nothing to do with making guns.

He did produce this minigun, albeit in a limited batch as it was deemed too expensive, too impractical and too unreliable for most combat situations.
    The perpetually spinning kinetic converter ensures a low-latency spin-up time. This means you can go from zero to bullets everywhere in the blink of a second.
    The high-speed 8 round burst modes give you manageable murder with a higher accuracy.

Yellowboy shotgun

Back on earth, this shotgun shipped with a pair of Ray-Bans - that was before the sky went dark forever.
    The YellowBoy lever shotgun has been retrofitted with a static ioniser that can manipulate the spread any buck shot ammo. Default fire binds the pellets to something with greater range and accuracy. Secondary fire...oh boy.

Plasma Rifle in the 40watt Range

The energy-saving energy weapon. Since the 100watt rifles were outlawed in the year 2000 the 40watt model became the green-earth favourite. This rifle allowed humans to exterminate each other without exterminating the ozone layer. Maybe we can make Mars last a little longer than earth.
    Sadly the secondary-fire rail-attack is subject to an ongoing emissions scandal.[/spoiler]

ChangeLog

[spoiler]Siren 0.35 changelog

Resized many unnecessarily large textures for performance.
    Removed the need for a line portal in the big room in a bid to improve performance. (Probably wont)
    Fixed lots of un-unpegged door tracks
    Fixed attacks making it through the glass - and improved the thermal efficiency of the building - by making them double glazed.
    Lost Souls replaced
    Combine sounds replaced with original sounds (blatant rip off.)
    Lots of sound tweaks and improvements. (Number of Monster active sounds reduced)
    Siren back to aggressive self
    Damage outputs tweaked.
    You can now make it back to the upper part of the level
    3-key switch doesn't take your keys
    Amendments to the cavern area. (Players gonna hate!)
    Skimmed a few resources from the map. (Probably too hard now)

Spoiler:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by DoomwithaView on Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:00 pm, edited 30 times in total.
DoomwithaView

Re: SIREN | v0.1

Postby wildweasel » Sun May 24, 2020 10:04 am

Do you have any screenshots of these weapons and level?

(edit) Thank you.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Ferretmanjcdenton » Mon May 25, 2020 3:17 pm

I can't wait for this ..I already told you on YouTube..
It's amazing..

If you like I can offer myself as a Playtester ..
Ferretmanjcdenton

Discord: https://discord.gg/hRm8w97
Operating System: Other Linux ARM/PPC/etc
OS Test Version: Yes (Using Development/Testing Version)
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Postby Enjay » Mon May 25, 2020 5:05 pm

From the video, it really looks as if you have captured the Aliens-like feel that you were going for. I've got to say that the presence of stealth monsters bothers me though. I rarely find them fun to play against.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby DoomwithaView » Mon May 25, 2020 6:22 pm

Ferretmanjcdenton wrote:
If you like I can offer myself as a Playtester ..

Absolutely, that would be great. Grab the download.

It would be great to get feedback on:

Gameplay. Siren is the Smoke monster that will chase you around certain parts of the level. It's pretty much indestructible and can kill you pretty quickly. It means you're forced to run away at certain points and it can get quite tense.
I foresee this being quite divisive...

There are two ways around it, use dedicated switches to teleport it away or subdue it with enough fire power. In both cases it will eventually come back.

Performance. I've tried to restrain myself from using everything GZDoom has to offer but I'm a little concerned about performance hits using reflective floors.

Level design. Is it fun and logical enough to get through? Are there enough resources etc.

Enjay wrote: I've got to say that the presence of stealth monsters bothers me though. I rarely find them fun to play against.

Thanks Enjay. I agree with this point. They never actually made it in.
DoomwithaView

Postby TheOldKingCole » Tue May 26, 2020 4:59 pm

So far I like what I'm seeing. Here are a few criticisms I have. First, switch the triple burst and full auto on the assault rifle. It makes more sense for a triple burst when aiming more precisely. ADS should also cause crosshairs to disappear.
TheOldKingCole

Postby DoomwithaView » Sun May 31, 2020 1:30 pm

TheOldKingCole wrote:So far I like what I'm seeing. Here are a few criticisms I have. First, switch the triple burst and full auto on the assault rifle. It makes more sense for a triple burst when aiming more precisely. ADS should also cause crosshairs to disappear.

Thanks for the comment, I think you're right. It definitely makes the most sense. I wanted there to be some 'cost' to full auto so the weapon isn't too OP for what is essentially a starting weapon.
There's other ways to balance it with accuracy and damage differences though.
DoomwithaView

Re: SIREN | v0.2

Postby Techy_koi » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:38 am

I have to say that this Mod/TC is very good the tension and Claustrophobic Atmosphere is top notch, along with the Siren entity around every corner is good, and I have to say that v0.2 is getting good loving every playtest I'm having.

Down side is the main hall due to the reflective floors it does drops my gosh a little bit also v0.2 has an issue/bug in the shotgun between the ammo count 12-10 the shotgun won't reload, also the minigun moves a bit to the left side a bit when you select it.

But nonetheless this is a very well made Mod/TC and I love it to bits, can't wait for v0.3!!!
Techy_koi

Discord: Knoqs Knoq0ff™

Re: SIREN | v0.2

Postby DoomwithaView » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:30 am

Hi, thanks for playing.

Re: the reflective floor. I'll probably take it out. I couldn't be sure of the performance cost without feedback, but I don't see many mods/wads using them so I guess that's pretty telling. While I'm aiming for a certain level of visual fidelity, I want to give it every chance of being playable by as many people as possible. Thats kinda what Doom is about.

I've come across some mega, game-crashing bugs that will be getting fixed very soon and I'll fix those weapons along with that too.

Thanks for the feedback!
DoomwithaView

Re: SIREN | v0.25 (Testers Needed)

Postby DoomwithaView » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:59 am

Posted a major stability fix.

DoomwithaView

Postby TheOldKingCole » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:58 am

Hey I heard you need testers. I would be glad to help. I have some experience with testing mods, specifically Ali's Brutal Doom/Ali's Challenger.

PS. When the mod reaches 1.0 will there be a weapons only version?
TheOldKingCole

Postby DoomwithaView » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:56 pm

That's pretty much the roadmap to 1.0, yeah. A finished mod that will play nicely with other wads. Realistically, the levels will be a longer process and come later...
DoomwithaView

Postby Techy_koi » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:18 pm

Back again to test, I will report any bugs or any kinds of weird stuff happening
Techy_koi

Discord: Knoqs Knoq0ff™

Postby DoomwithaView » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:40 pm

TheOldKingCole wrote:Hey I heard you need testers. I would be glad to help. I have some experience with testing mods, specifically Ali's Brutal Doom/Ali's Challenger.

Brilliant, I love that mod!

Do you know what (this is my first mod), what's the best way, in your experience, to approach testing? Should I just continue to post incremental releases on here?
DoomwithaView

Postby TheOldKingCole » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:44 pm

DoomwithaView wrote:
TheOldKingCole wrote:Hey I heard you need testers. I would be glad to help. I have some experience with testing mods, specifically Ali's Brutal Doom/Ali's Challenger.

Brilliant, I love that mod!

Do you know what (this is my first mod), what's the best way, in your experience, to approach testing? Should I just continue to post incremental releases on here?

That would be a good way to get input. Another is the test any random aspect of the mod to check for any bugs. For example I did a all weapon cheat and checked every weapons firing, reloading, and switching animation. I found out that switching the lever action rifle to the regular shotgun would show a single frame of the regular shotgun before the sprite switches back to the deselect animation.
TheOldKingCole

Next

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects