Sapphire | Remaster | v2.0 released

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Tormentor667

Sapphire | Remaster | v2.0 released

Post by Tormentor667 »

The remaster tank keeps rolling. After the release of Austerity and The City of the Damned and the ongoing development of its sequel Apocalypse, I took the time to continue working on a new version of this old classic as well: Sapphire. It was actually a one-map project showcasing the Too much brown-texture set, nothing too fancy but in a similar design as the Austerity mapset. For the remaster, I have planned a few things regarding design choices, map progression, gameplay and also map enhancements as well as the usual stuff that you can already find in the other remasters. Don't expect too much but if you liked the original release, you will most propably like the remaster. If you have suggestions, I am open to any kind of ideas, support and ideas :)

Screenshots

Changelog
Spoiler: Changes for RC1
Download
Original release from 2006 (v1.0): https://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/p ... l-research
Remaster release final from 2020 (v2.0): Link: https://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/p ... l-research
Last edited by Tormentor667 on Sun May 24, 2020 10:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Sapphire | Remaster | development

Post by Rachael »

I am actually looking forward to this one. I use the original to test renderer features frequently, because its simplicity and its use of many early features made it an ideal map for such tests. :) As such, naturally, I've grown fond of the map over the years, just from using it so much.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

It's interesting to know what kind of impact some of my earlier releases had that I never was aware of :) So in case of suggestions, I'd be happy to hear from you what could be improved.
Gothic

Post by Gothic »

This was one of the maps that got me into ZDoom mapping and inspired my early works. Which is not saying much since my old ZDoom maps were never finished or released, but still I'm glad it's getting a rerelease.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Thanks kindly, I am glad having inspired you in the past!
Tormentor667

Re: Sapphire | Remaster | RC1 released

Post by Tormentor667 »

Just released RC1 for Sapphire 2.0
Don't expect anything fundamental in changes but it feels more polished now. The gameplay is still similar to the release from 2006 and if you didn't like it before, changes are low that it got any better, but I suggest giving it a try anyway - even if it's just for the improved visuals. If there is anything you find or can be improved, let me know, I am looking forward to your feedback.

On top of that I want to speak out a huge "Thank you" to Ozymandias81 again, who helped me a lot in improving and polishing the mod with numerous additions, bugfixing and checks. Thanks for that man!

Link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/dj0aln9f ... 1.zip/file
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Tormentor667 wrote:If there is anything you find or can be improved, let me know, I am looking forward to your feedback.
I have a suggestion:

Maybe you could include the map? ;)

Looking forward to trying it BTW. I have very fond memories of the original.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Is your download good? My copy has the map. Maybe try redownloading?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Trying again but, yes, I think the DL was good. It would be very weird to be able to open the containing zip, extract the PK3, then be able to open the PK3 and, have it get a clean bill of health from 7z and yet be somehow corrupted.

[edit]yup, new DL is 1MB bigger and has the map. I DLd the original much earlier, shortly after it was posted. Maybe Torm caught the error and fixed it. [/edit]
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

That's quite feasible and seems likely to me. :) You're right, most often download corruption produces errors.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

So I like this remaster, seems you made it visually a lot better than the original. I like the higher contrast and higher colour vibrancy, and you also added a lot of ray effects from the lights which look good.

The only thing I gotta say though - I really miss those numbers on the doors. :( lol
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Aaaand done!

I'm sure that boss has had quite a buff since the last time I played!

Anyway, yep, it's still a really enjoyable map and I really like it. I remember it being criticised for being "all corridor and no rooms" when it was first released but I like how it flows and I always did. I also remember all the reflective floors giving slower computers a hard time too. No hint of that today. :)

I don't know why, but the caco fight after picking up the blue key always sticks in my mind as a great little battle.

The only suggestions I can think of would be more use of dynamic lights for walls that are meant to glow. For example:

Those switches could have a nice blue glow when they light up. (Also look at the texture alignment on the side of the switch recess.)

And those wall lights could do with something to make them "pop" a bit more. They are quite "flat" looking compared to all the enhanced ceiling lamps.

There were a few other locations too, but I was concentrating on playing first and foremost. ;)
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Enjay wrote:[edit]yup, new DL is 1MB bigger and has the map. I DLd the original much earlier, shortly after it was posted. Maybe Torm caught the error and fixed it. [/edit]
It's my way of checking if people are actually playing my work :P
Rachael wrote:So I like this remaster, seems you made it visually a lot better than the original. I like the higher contrast and higher colour vibrancy, and you also added a lot of ray effects from the lights which look good. The only thing I gotta say though - I really miss those numbers on the doors. :( lol
Thanks kindly :) The numbers are there, they are just roman now :)
Enjay wrote:The only suggestions I can think of would be more use of dynamic lights for walls that are meant to glow. For example:
Thanks kindly for the feedback. I actually improved the switch glows already but I have no idea what could be done about the grids. I actually thought about some clever way of making light rays shine through these, what do you think, would that work? Something like this:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Tormentor667 wrote:It's my way of checking if people are actually playing my work :P
:lol:

Tormentor667 wrote: Something like this:
Yeah, looks good to me - more than I had in mind actually. I was just thinking about a stronger dynamic light effect but that's even better.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

It has been a pleasure to work over this remaster, fantastic one! Just added my final touchups on the repository, in case someone has encountered some behavior issues with new stuff... It has been fixed on my recent commit. Not gonna spoil which one and where :)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”