The City of the Damned : Apocalypse | Remaster | Dev

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: The City of the Damned : Apocalypse | Remaster | Dev

Postby Ichor » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:35 am

Nash wrote:You both were probably playing the outdated Remaster build that Torm posted shortly before I joined the team. That's fine, I appreciate all the feedback so far. I agree that the gameplay design of the original (be it 2007 version, or early Remaster build) is lacking in a lot of areas, which was why I chose to step in to see what could be done to improve it while still retaining the atmosphere of the original.

I downloaded the remaster yesterday from the link in the first post. Is there another link for a newer version somewhere?
Ichor
The fun cannot be halted

Postby Nash » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:40 am

Link in the first post is from 2007. :mrgreen:

The last "stable remaster" is https://www.mediafire.com/file/dl1dasr5 ... 4.zip/file

DISCLAIMER: this is before I committed a lot of optimization work so even this build is janky compared to what it is in the latest in-development build.

I will not recommend the latest bleeding edge build from Github because it's currently undergoing heavy rework (although there are a LOT of improvements - way way way more than the stable remaster build - it is also not presentable. Such is the way of mod development :P)
Last edited by Nash on Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nash
AKA Nash Muhandes! Twitter/Facebook/Youtube: nashmuhandes

Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby Ichor » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:38 am

Ok, after playing through part of the new, new version, I see that it has definitely improved over the 2007 version. However, there is one thing that took a severe nosedive, and that is the weather effects. The longer the weather effects remain active, the stronger the lag becomes. By the time I got to the black hellhounds, the I was measuring the frames by seconds per frame, so I shut the effects off (having to restart the map as a result). This was not a problem in the 2007 version, where it was smooth all the way through even with the weather effects on. I didn't even know you could turn them off until it became unplayable due to the lag.

Also this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ichor
The fun cannot be halted

Postby Nash » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:05 am

Ichor wrote:However, there is one thing that took a severe nosedive, and that is the weather effects.

And again, this is all fixed in the bleeding edge master repo. The weather effects are ultra-optimized now (have been for a few weeks now), and you could even turn it on and off without restarting the level.

Trust me, I have done a lot of backend work to improve every aspect of this project. :)

Yes, the state of the Remaster builds shortly before I joined was terrible, performance-wise. This was the reason I stepped in. Don't think I would let any imperfections slide - Torm knows my internal quality control for this project is borderline obsessive. ;)

As I've said however, we were in the middle of some heavy reworking so it's not in a presentable state yet. I hope to put out a dev diary video soon showing everyone the exciting new things for the final version of the remaster.
Nash
AKA Nash Muhandes! Twitter/Facebook/Youtube: nashmuhandes

Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby Ichor » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:23 am

There might be a way to softlock the game, though it could be that I missed something. I picked up the safe key, but I can't open the safe (the ! is also not blue). It might be due to getting the safe key before reading the text about the stolen diamond, but I'm not sure.
Ichor
The fun cannot be halted

Postby sinisterseed » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:45 am

Heh, I am glad to hear that significant progress has been made since. This makes me more optimistic and willing to actually finish it the next time I play it, because as of that old remaster, it was unfun and tedious. Really left me with a nasty taste in my mouth... So I'll definitely wait for a more stable build first to see how much it has improved since. The old remaster was so bad in many respects that it felt like it needed a significant overhaul to be made actually good, but thankfully it looks like that's exactly what it's getting :D.
sinisterseed
Raze/GZDoom RO Translator & Raze Tester

Github ID: sinisterseed
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Gothic » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:31 pm

Ichor wrote:There might be a way to softlock the game, though it could be that I missed something. I picked up the safe key, but I can't open the safe (the ! is also not blue). It might be due to getting the safe key before reading the text about the stolen diamond, but I'm not sure.

That softlock is also fixed in the Github version.
Gothic
Barely present

Discord: #1462

Previous

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects