The City of the Damned : Apocalypse | Remaster | Dev

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: The City of the Damned : Apocalypse | Remaster | Dev

Postby Tormentor667 » Mon May 25, 2020 8:32 am

Skippy wrote:I am *njmcode* on GitHub, Torm. Happy to help.

You are in :)

TiberiumSoul wrote:edit: having no idea how github works is there a better way to ship the mondragon to you? also you may want to disable the weapon sway on a vertical level because the sprites for the guns have clipping points that make them float in midair

It's not that complicated to set it up or work with it. I put together a little tutorial on how to set it up and work with it just here for Blade of Agony, but it works similar for the Re-Releases. Before committing changes (and the gun) you just need a user on GitHub that I can add to the team of contributors, it's quite easy from then.
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Nash » Mon May 25, 2020 10:47 am

A note about the journals:

I am working on transitioning the entire system to be text based, with a background. Sort of something like this:

The motivation for this is to make it easier to expand on the journals, and to support localization (not that it'll be done initially - but adding support for it from the getgo is better than trying to retrofit it later).

This does not stop anyone from making any contributions, although I will say in advance that eventually the stuff will be moved over when the menu/journal systems are in place.

TiberiumSoul wrote:also you may want to disable the weapon sway on a vertical level because the sprites for the guns have clipping points that make them float in midair

The assets that currently exist in the project are vertical-sway-friendly; any new assets added will have to conform with whatever is already in there.
Nash
AKA Nash Muhandes! Twitter/Facebook/Youtube: nashmuhandes

Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby Skippy » Mon May 25, 2020 11:17 am

Nash wrote:I am working on transitioning the entire system to be text based, with a background. Sort of something like this:

That was my exact thinking, Nash. Way easier to manage, and also for the player to digest.

My initial interest is only in revising the copy, which I can add to the repo as text files for now (or whatever lump format you need).

Are you far into the work for the new system? I've never ZScripted, but happy to help if I can.
Skippy
is getting too old for this shiz

Postby Nash » Mon May 25, 2020 11:44 am

The journal system will be based off my PDA code, so all good on that front. :)
Nash

Postby TiberiumSoul » Wed May 27, 2020 2:06 am

@Nash if this is the case... then the mondragon is going to have to be redone from scratch which i know Willkuer isn't going to be happy about or someone will have to extend the sprites.
TiberiumSoul
The Lost Soul that stumbled into a patch of tiberium crystals

Discord: 2012
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby Nash » Wed May 27, 2020 2:25 am

Willkuer isn't going to be happy about

:shrug:

Only the idle frame needs extension, all other weapon states get snapped back to neutral position.
Nash

Postby willkuer » Wed May 27, 2020 11:10 am

Nash wrote:
Willkuer isn't going to be happy about

:shrug:

Only the idle frame needs extension, all other weapon states get snapped back to neutral position.

I'm might not be happy because my spare time is rather limited :? But if it's just the idle frame...
I strained my 9 hour-screen-worker eyes for another hour:

mondragon_idle.png

If that's not enough, I can't do much more. Other than suggesting to define exceptions for your sway system per weapon actor.

Can I have some pitty now? :P The beer's on you guys, just so you know :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
willkuer

Postby MrDowntempo » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:19 pm

Nash wrote:A note about the journals:

I am working on transitioning the entire system to be text based, with a background. Sort of something like this:

The motivation for this is to make it easier to expand on the journals, and to support localization (not that it'll be done initially - but adding support for it from the getgo is better than trying to retrofit it later).

This does not stop anyone from making any contributions, although I will say in advance that eventually the stuff will be moved over when the menu/journal systems are in place.

This is all for the better! However... There is something immersive about documents that look more realistic and less -in engine-. Especially if they're supposed to be handwritten. On the extreme side, there are games like Gone Home where each piece of paper is individually crafted to make the world that much more believable. I wonder if maybe you could include a variety of fonts and paper backgrounds so that there remains a variety of styles amongst the journals?
MrDowntempo

Postby Ichor » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:37 pm

I watched someone play this on a stream today, and he quit halfway through. He got as far as the church and that instant death floor. There was no indication to which way to go. There was a post earlier that mentioned that one empty room with the zombies and the marker that seemingly means nothing. However, he never found any keys except the fire key, and when he went through, he had no idea which way to go, and he ended up having to save after every step just to make it through. By then frustration got the better of him and he quit.

Now then, I played it soon after, and the only way I knew which way to go was by watching him first. I did get the spider key and go to that one room first, but I didn't know what it meant until I looked at this thread. So this is what might be a good idea. Instead of nothing being in that room, you could put the fire key there. That way, there's no way that you will be able to get in the church until after you go to that room. After that, there should be some kind of clue in the church as to where to go. Slightly different floor textures, something on the ceiling, a tiny change in the floor height, or maybe even some pools of blood just past a turn in the maze. Or perhaps instead of instant death, you get teleported back to the start.

Another problem he had was that it took a very long time for him to get the shotgun. All he had was the pistol for most of the time he was playing. It should be in a bit more obvious place, like in the open court near where you summon Thamuz. But my problem with the shotgun is that it doesn't automatically reload once it's out of shells. This could lead to an awkward situation where you're about to shoot something, but instead you reload and likely take some damage.
Ichor
The fun cannot be halted

Postby Nash » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:18 am

Ichor, thanks for the feedback. I agree with you on all poiints and - actually, even as a developer for the Remaster myself - the church thing was indeed confusing for me. A while back, I did make some changes to the way the church puzzle works:

Spoiler: "Spoiler for those who don't want to ruin the solution"
Nash

Postby sinisterseed » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:46 am

Ichor wrote:I watched someone play this on a stream today, and he quit halfway through. He got as far as the church and that instant death floor. There was no indication to which way to go. There was a post earlier that mentioned that one empty room with the zombies and the marker that seemingly means nothing. However, he never found any keys except the fire key, and when he went through, he had no idea which way to go, and he ended up having to save after every step just to make it through. By then frustration got the better of him and he quit.

Now then, I played it soon after, and the only way I knew which way to go was by watching him first. I did get the spider key and go to that one room first, but I didn't know what it meant until I looked at this thread. So this is what might be a good idea. Instead of nothing being in that room, you could put the fire key there. That way, there's no way that you will be able to get in the church until after you go to that room. After that, there should be some kind of clue in the church as to where to go. Slightly different floor textures, something on the ceiling, a tiny change in the floor height, or maybe even some pools of blood just past a turn in the maze. Or perhaps instead of instant death, you get teleported back to the start.

Another problem he had was that it took a very long time for him to get the shotgun. All he had was the pistol for most of the time he was playing. It should be in a bit more obvious place, like in the open court near where you summon Thamuz. But my problem with the shotgun is that it doesn't automatically reload once it's out of shells. This could lead to an awkward situation where you're about to shoot something, but instead you reload and likely take some damage.

That "someone" was none other than me, by the way :p -> . No need to hide that fact since I'm here too.

But yeah, compared to Sapphire this was a lot more frustrating to go through, so much so that I actually had to quit after a one and a half hour of struggling. My main issues, as highlighted in that now half-deleted let's play (I deleted everything that followed Sapphire since I figured most people would not find it satisfying in the least, and I was not pleased with my performance either), were the confusing layout, everything being largely locked behind doors requiring keys, lackluster combat since the new weapons were clunky, feeling as if they packed no punch - the Shotgun also had an awkward delay while and after firing -, poor visibility at the start, although admittedly this may have also come due to my sector lighting of choice (Doom). Standard would've been better but I am simply not fond of that mode anymore, its shaders are just too primitive and it makes everything look too flat. Some lamps, torches, or whatever could definitely help solve this issue, and also make the map more atmospheric. There was also the issue of there being just not enough ammo, I even ended up having to godmode in order to kill the monster guarding the fire key because of this since I had only the pistol at that point, as you said, and ran out of ammo completely... The enemies also took far too many shots to kill - either that, or the pistol was just heavily underpowered, zombies seemed bullet spongey. Movement was slow too, and running was essentially rendered useless since the speed took a massive hit. There was no point in running anymore. Although the following issue is mostly minor, I was also not fond of the font used for some of the letters, it made reading them difficult at times. The font that was used for the messages and automap totals was not optimal either, if I was to use a smaller dimension (I use 4) everything was going to look just like indecipherable gibberish.

But what eventually made me quit was the floor puzzle at the church and its Disciple miniboss, accompanied by a general lack of any sense of direction, it took way too long before I started finding my way through the map, but by that point it was already too late, that building was the icing on the cake... I mean come on, no clues for that puzzle whatsoever? That was literally just a guessing game for me, I ended up saving at almost every step until I eventually found the right path. And the Disciple... he just constantly fired rockets at me while being invisible. It wasn't fun. The issue there was not the fact that he turned invisible as much as it was him staying invisible for too long, and also attacking me constantly while in that state.

I am sorry if my impression about this remaster was overly negative, but after Sapphire I expected this to be at least on par with that, and I ultimately ended up experiencing the contrary. I'm not exactly one to sugar coat things...
sinisterseed
Raze/GZDoom RO Translator & Raze Tester

Github ID: sinisterseed
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Tormentor667 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:11 am

Just a small info: You didn’t play the remaster but the original version of “Apocalypse” so any feedback that you post now will most likely be incorporated into the real remaster :)
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby sinisterseed » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:41 am

Tormentor667 wrote:Just a small info: You didn’t play the remaster but the original version of “Apocalypse” so any feedback that you post now will most likely be incorporated into the real remaster :)

I, I uh... what? What?!

Dang, so that version was the original one? Seriously? I think the link in the OP over at DW must've confused me then. Must've been due to the name. Fair enough, I guess I'll be giving it a second chance after the remaster is actually done in this case and see how it fares.
sinisterseed
Raze/GZDoom RO Translator & Raze Tester

Github ID: sinisterseed
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Ichor » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:59 am

He did play the remastered version, and so did I shortly thereafter. Thamuz wasn't the usual recolored cyberdemon but Tchernobog with Thamuz' attacks along with a new rapid fire attack. Also, the original has the usual 5 difficulties, whereas the remastered version has just 3 (Normal, Hard, and Nightmare). I did fare better than he did, but that was because 1.) I saw him stmble through the church puzzle so I knew which way to go, and 2.) I was fortunate to have a cultist drop a shotgun early on. But I still didn't know what that one spider key area near the train station meant until much later.
Ichor
The fun cannot be halted

Postby Nash » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:21 am

You both were probably playing the outdated Remaster build that Torm posted shortly before I joined the team. That's fine, I appreciate all the feedback so far. I agree that the gameplay design of the original (be it 2007 version, or early Remaster build) is lacking in a lot of areas, which was why I chose to step in to see what could be done to improve it while still retaining the atmosphere of the original.
Nash

PreviousNext

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects