The City of the Damned : Apocalypse | Remaster | Dev

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: The City of the Damned : Apocalypse | Remaster | Dev

Postby Nash » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:39 am

Alright, I'll start on the script cleanups.
Nash
AKA Nash Muhandes! Twitter/Facebook/Youtube: nashmuhandes

Twitch ID: nashmuhandes
Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby Graf Zahl » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:19 am

Just one word about the moon. While doing some tests with other skyboxes recently I noticed that the skyboxes inherit the vertical 1.2x stretching from the map. So I fixed that because it looks like crap. Let's hope that this doen't squash the moon to something non-round again. ;)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Nash » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:25 am

Graf - that bothered me too, I literally just fixed it on my end.

@Torm and Ozy: My goals are to ZScriptify and massively clean up every single actor code in the project. There's a lot of old DECORATE-isms in there and I want to heavily optimize every single actor so that thinker costs will be cut down to a minimum. I'd appreciate it if you leave the actor code alone for now until I say I'm done with the refactoring.
Nash

Postby Gorman Frebmane » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:28 am

Speaking of a new boss, does this seem like it would look good for a replacement [WIP]
Gorman Frebmane

Postby Gothic » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:44 pm

Found some more stuff in the newest build:

Spoiler:
Gothic
Barely present

Discord: #1462

Postby Ozymandias81 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:19 pm

Nash wrote:@Torm and Ozy: My goals are to ZScriptify and massively clean up every single actor code in the project. There's a lot of old DECORATE-isms in there and I want to heavily optimize every single actor so that thinker costs will be cut down to a minimum. I'd appreciate it if you leave the actor code alone for now until I say I'm done with the refactoring.

Thanks a lot Nash, you know my limit is within zscript which is something I still can't handle... I might go for a full zscriptification of BoA even if being hellish effort, but well I am used to hellishly works (like 4000+ colored brightmaps and import of countless models during development)
I knew that my 'enhanced' old nashgore code needed a different approach, since most of it comes from Gore: Horde of Titans (which god knows when I'll return to work on) which is 5 years old. Brb with modding next monday, and it will be probably BoA related (plus ClusterBloom and a personal private models repository)
Ozymandias81
Doom is a State of Mind... Out of Control.

Discord: Ozymandias81#2768
Github ID: Ozymandias81
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Nash » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:15 pm

@Dan: I have a request, can you remove all ambient fire sounds (thing type 14026) from the map? I'd like to implement the sound emitters from the torch actors themselves (and don't worry, I have strategies on how to make actors that play looping sounds have low processing cost).

EDIT: Regarding your comment about the exclamation marks: what's wrong with them? They are already behaving in the exact way you describe it, except for "dormant" - I don't remember exclamation marks being dormant (and therefore disappearing). I'm confused by what you actually want here.
Nash

Postby Tormentor667 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:53 am

Nash wrote:Regarding your comment about the exclamation marks: what's wrong with them? They are already behaving in the exact way you describe it, except for "dormant" - I don't remember exclamation marks being dormant (and therefore disappearing). I'm confused by what you actually want here.

In the old version the exclamation marks had only 2 states: Inactive (invisible) and active (visible). Some exclamation marks, for example the one on the graveyard, are dormant until the right text note has been read hinting them. As of now, inactivte is grey and active is blue. What we need is "dormant = invisible, active = blue, touched = grey". Just removed the ambient fire sound things btw. :) Great work on your improvements so far, you are extremely fast and I am happy to have you on board improving this project!
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Nash » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:09 am

Ah yeah I did notice something was a little off with the exclamation marks. For your information, I noticed these even before I started touching the scripts (since the first beta you posted in this thread). I was a little confused why was there

Spoiler: "don't open if you don't want to spoil the adventure"

I'm not sure how your marker system works because I haven't looked at it yet. Do I have to edit the map to fix this behaviour? In that case, I'd like to ask you to freeze the map temporarily so that our works don't collide.

Speaking about the marker system overall - I have been toying with the idea of an objectives system. So that, for example, if you

Spoiler: "again story spoilers"

Let me know your thoughts. If you decide to let me edit the maps, it will be done after I complete ZScriptification of all actor code (so it won't be today/tonight).

By the way - do you think it's a good idea to create some kind of private way to discuss collaboration about the project? I'd rather not people read our improvements and potentially spoiling the new experience. :mrgreen: Do you use Discord? Or if you have any other platform recommendations, feel free to suggest.
Nash

Postby Tormentor667 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:02 am

Nash wrote:Ah yeah I did notice something was a little off with the exclamation marks. For your information, I noticed these even before I started touching the scripts (since the first beta you posted in this thread). I was a little confused why was there...

Yes, that's exactly the cause. To improve this, I think there is no need to edit the map. We can have an "inactive" state with a invisible sprite, an "active" state that initially is blue and on touch just grays out and stays like that - that should be enough to keep the functionality.

Nash wrote:
Spoiler: "again story spoilers"

Yes, I am totally for doing this, sounds great for me. I would like to do some mapping work for the rest of the days and could commit my changes in about 6-7 hours, then you could continue working on the map if that's okay for you?

Nash wrote:By the way - do you think it's a good idea to create some kind of private way to discuss collaboration about the project? I'd rather not people read our improvements and potentially spoiling the new experience. :mrgreen: Do you use Discord? Or if you have any other platform recommendations, feel free to suggest.

I agree on that, but no idea which platform is the best. For Blade of Agony we have a Facebook chat group, would that work for you? (I wrote you a message anyway, did you get that?) If that's okay, I'd just open a chat group for us - that's the easiest way for Ozy and me.
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Tormentor667 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:25 pm

New areas in the Remaster: The Cellar and The Swamp

Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Tormentor667 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:55 pm

Another new area: The Gipsy Camp
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Nash » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:45 pm

Loving the new areas! Being so close to working on this, I pretty much could speedrun the old layout now, so I appreciate the new areas. Gonna make sure I don't spoil it too much myself, despite being a developer on it. :D
Nash

Postby Clownman » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:03 pm

Just tried a bit of the beta you posted on page 2. The weapons do feel better to use, though I feel the animations could still use some work. The pistol's muzzleflash is even misaligned and the Sawed Off seems to have smoother firing frames now, but the reload anim still looks rather choppy.

Part of me would suggest making the pistol semi-auto albeit having to reload, but that's your call. I could probably supply some new sounds for the guns too just to make them sound fancier. Maybe also give the player some unique sounds? I dunno, I feel the fact they sound like Caleb to be kind of off-putting for some reason. lol (Then again, That's also because I'm too used to associating Stephen Whyte's voice with the bloodthirsty anti-hero himself)

Disregaurd this, I just found beta 3 has even more refined weapons. HUGE improvement.
Clownman
I'm not gonna fight you... I'm gonna kick your ass.

Postby Nash » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:08 pm

I found the source of the slowdowns - the starting bonfire scene is drawing ~2500 walls, which chokes even my RTX 2080. https://imgur.com/HpmxrnM

I've managed to optimize it by carefully occluding the level at key points while still retaining the original atmosphere. Got it down to ~550 walls: https://imgur.com/gT9QvMw

I will continue to make sure wall draw counts are kept in check to ensure this mod runs as smoothly as possible.
Nash

PreviousNext

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects